Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by McAvoy »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:49 pm I'll just say that I actually looked forward to this film because it had actors and filmmakers who made better and funnier movies in the past (BRIDESMAIDS is probably my favorite comedy of the 2010s), and this was a sad disappointment. It's a film that neither pleases Ghostbusters fans or fans of this cast and crew.

That said... 17 pages? Really? Was this film that big of a deal for you folks?
It's not really full of Ghostbusters though. Got derailed a couple of times.

There has been some drama in the past week though when it was announced that the 2016 movie was not going to be included in the big box set. As in the director complained about it.

The thing is it has been the director that keeps resurrecting the movie. He acts like he made a masterpiece that no one really understood.

He is one of those directors that actively bashed the fanbase for not liking his movie.
I got nothing to say here.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Can you blame him? His film was already getting a lot of hate online months before a single frame was even shot. He has every right to bash them. Those fans are fucking pathetic.

His film still sucks tho.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:52 pm Can you blame him? His film was already getting a lot of hate online months before a single frame was even shot. He has every right to bash them. Those fans are fucking pathetic.

His film still sucks tho.
The hate was from a minority when it was announced that there will be four female Ghostbusters. Its the usual suspects that will bitch and complain if a traditional white male character becomes a black or female or worse black female.

It really got underway with the huge backlash when the first trailer came out. Comedy like I said long ago in this thread is subjective. Some like it, some don't, many hate it.

Then the studio and the director start directly attacking the fans. Ghostbusters seemed to kick off that. How many movies has there been where directors have directly insulted fans? Basically calling them women haters, man babies living in their parents basement, virgins, unemployed. Take your pick.

And you know what you watch the movie, you can't help but feel being attacked if you are male in Ghostbusters. Every single male character were just bad. The main bad guy might as well could have been a avatar for those toxic virgin man baby neckbeards who live in their parents basements.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Which could have work if they tone it down, and made the woman less horrible
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:46 am The hate was from a minority when it was announced that there will be four female Ghostbusters.
Which could have been fine. Great, even. But the more the people making the film became known, the less likely it seemed that they were capable of making anything watchable, and it became increasingly clear that the all-female cast was mandated, not as an interesting way of changing things up, but out of a sense of grievance, entitlement, and pandering to a subset of the audience.

If the movie had turned out great, then you'd have reason to reject those early fears. And the people who were upset merely because female actors are female ought to be rejected regardless. But, those fears weren't wrong. They were accurate perceptions of early warning signs.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 pm
McAvoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:46 am The hate was from a minority when it was announced that there will be four female Ghostbusters.
Which could have been fine. Great, even. But the more the people making the film became known, the less likely it seemed that they were capable of making anything watchable, and it became increasingly clear that the all-female cast was mandated, not as an interesting way of changing things up, but out of a sense of grievance, entitlement, and pandering to a subset of the audience.

If the movie had turned out great, then you'd have reason to reject those early fears. And the people who were upset merely because female actors are female ought to be rejected regardless. But, those fears weren't wrong. They were accurate perceptions of early warning signs.
You are exactly right. If the movie turned out to be good or at worse a run of the mill 21st century reboot like Robocop, this would be all forgetten.

But it was worse than that.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:56 am

You are exactly right. If the movie turned out to be good or at worse a run of the mill 21st century reboot like Robocop, this would be all forgetten.

Robocop at least tried to be different from the original. This was just the second recreation of the first film after the second had already done the exact same thing, only sans Vigo and everything else that made the second have some charm.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:56 am

Robocop at least tried to be different from the original. This was just the second recreation of the first film after the second had already done the exact same thing, only sans Vigo and everything else that made the second have some charm.
True. Robocop reboot tried to use today's climate advanced into the not so distant future. An all black quick moving Robocop makes sense than a shiny blue slow moving tank of a robot. Robocop just don't have that charm of the original. I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Robocop's remake's problem was that it actually DID kind of reverse some of the horror of Alex Murphy's condition.

Perhaps to avoid ableism.

But the whole point is that Alex Murphy is enduring Hell and is struggling against being a slave.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:35 am Robocop's remake's problem was that it actually DID kind of reverse some of the horror of Alex Murphy's condition.

Perhaps to avoid ableism.

But the whole point is that Alex Murphy is enduring Hell and is struggling against being a slave.
One thing the reboot did touch on but didn't really expand on it the concept of free will. When they did some brain rearranging on Murphy they made it so Robocop is doing the thinking but really it's robot stuff. How much that can be amped up to the point free will is gone and also the ending where he can overcome his programming. That should have been more dominant in the movie really.

The original had Robocop be Robocop and slowly learn who he once was. With the big reveal of what his face looks like under the helmet.

They killed that with a flip up visor and having Alex Murphy being Alex Murphy from the beginning as Robocop.

Maybe they should have started with whole brain rearranging with robot parts in the beginning and have Alex slowly overcome it all. Free will overcoming it all or something.

I don't know. I do know the actor who plays Robocop isn't that good. His family scenes before and after being Robocop were pretty emotionless.