Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:02 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
Robocop 2 was very flawed, but I enjoyed what it aimed for. The only issue was the humour lacked the Verhoeven zaniness to the black humour.

The first film perfectly jumps between humour and seriousness. Ed-209 rips apart a guy with machine guns in one scene and then soon after we have the similarly drawn out, but horrific scene of Alex's dismemberment.

I will say that I rewatched Robocop 2 recently and the intro struck me, hard: It inspired the first Command and Conquer and is where the series famous FMVs came from. Watch Robocop 2s intro with the new reel, then watch Command and Conquers.

I mean, both even have a section talking about a mysterious cult leader known as Cain!
I don't think it was that flawed. I mean sure it's biggest flaw is that it wasn't like the first movie.

But you go outside that and just focus on that movie itself, it's not bad. Some internal logic issues like a simple one. Alex Murphy is a unique case, why not just upgrade the guy.

Some issues like nuke doesn't even look that bad. Highly addictive but no one shows any side effects. Or why that scientist chick decides to use Cain for Robocop 2 aside from because plot demands it.

Honestly one thought I had for almost 30 years would have been what if Robocop was first of many (side of his helmet does suggest this). And went with that.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I feel the same with Ghostbusters 2. Hold it on its own and not a bad movie.

Statue of Liberty walking down New York City sounds awesome and still looks good but it overall part of that, sappy part of it. The movie is very late 80's and 90's.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
Robocop 2 was very flawed, but I enjoyed what it aimed for. The only issue was the humour lacked the Verhoeven zaniness to the black humour.

The first film perfectly jumps between humour and seriousness. Ed-209 rips apart a guy with machine guns in one scene and then soon after we have the similarly drawn out, but horrific scene of Alex's dismemberment.

I will say that I rewatched Robocop 2 recently and the intro struck me, hard: It inspired the first Command and Conquer and is where the series famous FMVs came from. Watch Robocop 2s intro with the new reel, then watch Command and Conquers.

I mean, both even have a section talking about a mysterious cult leader known as Cain!
I don't think it was that flawed. I mean sure it's biggest flaw is that it wasn't like the first movie.

But you go outside that and just focus on that movie itself, it's not bad. Some internal logic issues like a simple one. Alex Murphy is a unique case, why not just upgrade the guy.

Some issues like nuke doesn't even look that bad. Highly addictive but no one shows any side effects. Or why that scientist chick decides to use Cain for Robocop 2 aside from because plot demands it.

Honestly one thought I had for almost 30 years would have been what if Robocop was first of many (side of his helmet does suggest this). And went with that.
I don't mind the slower pace of the show and how it drifts from the drug cult to OCP becoming the main threat, but it brings up things and then resolves issues too quickly. Robocop gets dismantled and rebuilt. He gets reprogrammed, we get a few funny scenes, and then he shocks himself to regain control of himself again. Those are what the movie should have focused on.

He should have been faced with a "I have to start from the bottom" situation to overcome the new threat. OCP doesn't want to waster money rebuilding him, so he gets substandard replacements so he could no longer just operate as a walking tank shrugging off blows. HE should have struggled with the PC directives until the end when he can finally break them and learn to think smart to overcome Cain (which he kinda does after the Loony Toons level of their end fight). The lack of that diminishes a good premise which the show has. It could have been better.

With that said, the only thing I don't like about the movie is the treatment of the Old Man. He goes from a hard, but sensible and decent businessman onto Mr. Burns territory. The business mentality displayed in the second movie is too cartoonish while in the first the outcomes are cartoonish, but the motivations were more grounded, even Dicks Jones straying into organized crime was.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:27 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 am

I don't mind the slower pace of the show and how it drifts from the drug cult to OCP becoming the main threat, but it brings up things and then resolves issues too quickly. Robocop gets dismantled and rebuilt. He gets reprogrammed, we get a few funny scenes, and then he shocks himself to regain control of himself again. Those are what the movie should have focused on.

He should have been faced with a "I have to start from the bottom" situation to overcome the new threat. OCP doesn't want to waster money rebuilding him, so he gets substandard replacements so he could no longer just operate as a walking tank shrugging off blows. HE should have struggled with the PC directives until the end when he can finally break them and learn to think smart to overcome Cain (which he kinda does after the Loony Toons level of their end fight). The lack of that diminishes a good premise which the show has. It could have been better.

With that said, the only thing I don't like about the movie is the treatment of the Old Man. He goes from a hard, but sensible and decent businessman onto Mr. Burns territory. The business mentality displayed in the second movie is too cartoonish while in the first the outcomes are cartoonish, but the motivations were more grounded, even Dicks Jones straying into organized crime was.
I agree they should have done more with Robocop being reprogrammed. But the reasoning behind his reprogramming is pretty damned thin to begin with. I mean it went with what a Fox News follower thinks what what a liberal wants in a cop and went with it. So we got Robocop shooting up around a smoker minding his business to him giving the Miranda rights to a corpse. Juts over the top honestly.

Robocop 2 has the same issues as Ed-209 as in how do you arrest someone. They are both built to go to war not be a cop like Robocop could.

It's all about internal logic within the movies really. Something all sequels should be doing. Old Man in the first really disappointed in Ed-209 performance, and overall personality where a nice young woman giving him the sweet nothings allows a drug addict to be his premier Robocop platform. And he like you said acts like rich old bad guy trope.

Maybe it should have played in that Old Man was convinced that Robocop could be replicated but not with brains but with computers. So there is an army of Robocops and Robocop is fighting his new programming. That does seem too much like I Robot though.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean how would something like ed 209 possibly put handcuffs on people.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 amJuts over the top honestly.
IIRC, that was a paid ad from an anti-smoking group that was kept in the film. It was played on TV.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:19 pm I mean how would something like ed 209 possibly put handcuffs on people.
Being a police robot was the figleaf justification.

Dick Jones said it in the bathroom scene: they had a larger military contract on the side to branch out into that was worth far more than the police one for ED-209. https://youtu.be/UXGcgqv4c8M?t=46

He makes it clear: It doesn't matter if it worked as a police robot or even a military one, they had a 25 year contract for parts and supplies that would be far more profitable in the long run than anything that actually worked. He doesn't care if OCP created a superhero in Robocop who can actually clean up crime, the company can make more money in other ways (and we find out how far he's willing to get dirty following that logic near the end).

Dick's the epitome of a company-man who doesn't actually want to make things people want, just find ways of making as much money as possible.

Bob Morton may be a cocky monster who doesn't mind experimenting on a human being and using him as company property, but he actually wants to create something of worth that does what it's intended to do.

That's the ironic humour in the later scene where he tries to kill Robocop with Ed-209. He turns to an ineffective piece of shit to finish him off and his mentality that created the thing makes it fail at its task.