Lower deck episode 3?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
gnomedeplume
Redshirt

Re: Lower deck episode 3?

Post by gnomedeplume »

tldr
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Mabus, learn how to use paragraphs. Also, the show is great.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Summary:

"The show makes a lot of references and jokes and that's bad because it shouldn't be a show about references and jokes but instead something else entirely. Despite, you know, the show being a comedy."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean one could make the argument that the references and jokes might make the story less well written. Then again that is going to come down to an individual by individual basic.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 pm I mean one could make the argument that the references and jokes might make the story less well written. Then again that is going to come down to an individual by individual basic.
I guess my thoughts is the show wants to be about cheap gags that reward the more of an enormous Star Trek fan you are.

You can dislike the premise, I have no problem with that, but it feels weird to criticize the format for not being something else entirely.

You can hate Enterprise for bad writing, characters, or plot holes but it would be weird, for example, to be upset that its a prequel about the Pre-federation era.

Or Deep Space Nine for being on a space station.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:04 pm Mabus, learn how to use paragraphs. Also, the show is great.
My post is actually shorter than my usual ramblings. Not sure what your problem is.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 pm Summary:

"The show makes a lot of references and jokes and that's bad because it shouldn't be a show about references and jokes but instead something else entirely. Despite, you know, the show being a comedy."
Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean it gets a pass on everything. Also, comedy involves poking fun at something or someone, since you know, that's what comedy is about: poking fun at X or Y. What exactly is the show trying to poke fun at again? Starfleet? Idiots? Replicators? Aliens? Everybody?

And the thing about references is that they shouldn't overload the dialogue. Besides, if this is comedy aimed at kids or teens or that 15-25 age group, how are they gonna get the in-show references if they're new to the show and haven't seen the old series? Why would newcomers care about references they don't understand?

I have watched Star Trek for a very long time and while I haven't seen all the episodes nor remember all of them, I only got about 1/3 of the references being mentioned onscreen, so who is this aimed at? Hardcore fans? How many hardcore fans in the younger demographic are there? If it's older fans, then how many are they?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think in this age of Wikipedia that it encourages kids to look them up or watch the originals.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Mabus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Sir Will wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:04 pm Mabus, learn how to use paragraphs. Also, the show is great.
My post is actually shorter than my usual ramblings. Not sure what your problem is.
The problem is it's one blob of text that has too few line breaks to be read easily. This post, which is longer, is much more readable solely because it breaks up thoughts with line breaks, though it could be improved by adding a second line break after each line break.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Lower Decks is a bit Orville. Season 1 was trying too hard to be ''funny TNG'' whereas season 2 actually started to have an identity.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:09 pm Lower Decks is, IMHO, the point when NuTrek killed any chance the hatedom would win. Much of the hatedom was driven by the statement that Star Trek was out of the hands of fans and that it was corporate driven bullshit.

No one can seriously claim the shows are made by anything but die-hard Trek fans.

You may like or dislike Lower Decks but the people who made this show are ENORMOUS fucking nerds.
No. This was the point that the writers who gave us ''two dicked Klingons who don't look, act or feel like Klingons'' realised that people do not want a Star Trek show that isn't Star Trek.
The hatedom won. Oh... you ain't going to like me saying that now are you. But its true. It was the people who kicked up a fuss about the bullshit of early STD that got us STD season 3 plus. That got us Lower Decks. And I have a feeling that PIC will end up a brighter show before it finally ends too.