Lower deck episode 3?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Lower deck episode 3?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 pm I'd rather argue that is done to keep the premise of the show intact, rather than showing the character's secret feelings. It is very clear, that Boimler "stepped forward" fully expecting that his counterpart would do the same (and not counting on him betrying himself) and not because he secretly wants to get back (though he certainly does miss his friends and maybe even Mariner, possibly because of Stockholme Syndrome). I'd even argue that, if he really wanted to get back onto the Cerritos, that it undermines the character as it shows him failing to develop and actually regress.
Boimler doesn't want to be an Ensign but he doesn't mind the Cerritos either.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Maybe, but there is still no reason to demote him to ensign, other than to purposefully shit on the character solely for comedic reasons and that's just bad.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:06 pm Maybe, but there is still no reason to demote him to ensign, other than to purposefully shit on the character solely for comedic reasons and that's just bad.
Honestly, this part sadly read real given how Thomas Riker was treated. Do you think he ever got a medal for spending years in horrifying conditions doing his job as a Starfleet officer? Or do you think Star fleet just treated him like a clone?

Even though BOTH were technically the original Riker.

Poor Cerritos Boimler is basically getting treated as the Thomas here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Certainly not. There's 8 years of difference between Thomas and William Riker. One was imprisoned in basically an isolation cell and had no contact to anyone, while the other left his impulsive and reckless behaviour behind and had a Starfleet Career. Thomas Riker retained his original rank and was invited to stay on the Enterprise, but conciously choose to go away and become his own man on board of the USS Ghandi, where he developed a very different vita to William Riker's.

Boimler was split literally yesterday and there's no discernable difference in career, experience or behaviour between both versions. The connection is "both were cloned through a transporter accident" and that's all there is to it. Pretening it's more is flat out intellectually dishonest.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:00 pm Certainly not. There's 8 years of difference between Thomas and William Riker. One was imprisoned in basically an isolation cell and had no contact to anyone, while the other left his impulsive and reckless behaviour behind and had a Starfleet Career. Thomas Riker retained his original rank and was invited to stay on the Enterprise, but conciously choose to go away and become his own man on board of the USS Ghandi, where he developed a very different vita to William Riker's.

Boimler was split literally yesterday and there's no discernable difference in career, experience or behaviour between both versions. The connection is "both were cloned through a transporter accident" and that's all there is to it. Pretening it's more is flat out intellectually dishonest.
8 years of imprisonment should be a bunch of medals and a promotion. The opinion of Thomas Riker is that he should have been feted as a hero for his horrible ordeal but he's basically treated as an inconvenience by Starfleet.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

I still have my theory that Titan Boimler isn't actually a transporter clone. He's a deep cover Pakled spy. He's posing as a transporter clone as a way to bond with Riker over a shared experience, a relationship he will eventually take advantage of to get intelligence for his Pakled masters.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:05 pm I still have my theory that Titan Boimler isn't actually a transporter clone. He's a deep cover Pakled spy. He's posing as a transporter clone as a way to bond with Riker over a shared experience, a relationship he will eventually take advantage of to get intelligence for his Pakled masters.
I go with Mirror Boimler, who isn't as cartoonish as they assume Mirror Boimler would be.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:05 pm I still have my theory that Titan Boimler isn't actually a transporter clone. He's a deep cover Pakled spy. He's posing as a transporter clone as a way to bond with Riker over a shared experience, a relationship he will eventually take advantage of to get intelligence for his Pakled masters.
A Pakled wouldn't be smart enough to pull that off.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

MightyDavidson wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 pm
That's if you accept the idea that the Pakled are as dumb as they present themselves as. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's all just a ruse on some level to get people to underestimate them. Or that they're taking their marching orders from somebody a lot smarter then them.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:38 pm
MightyDavidson wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 pm
That's if you accept the idea that the Pakled are as dumb as they present themselves as. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's all just a ruse on some level to get people to underestimate them. Or that they're taking their marching orders from somebody a lot smarter then them.
I thought they were meant to be smarter than they appeared but they have since proven still to be very very dumb.