The hell is a "Freedom Convoy" and why is it harassing Ottawa?

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

The hell is a "Freedom Convoy" and why is it harassing Ottawa?

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Last edited by ProfessorDetective on Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Re: The hell is a *Freedom Convoy" and why is it harassing Ottawa?

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

It would seem to be a group of concerned citizens demanding a redress of grievances from a government that has grown a mite despotic.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minstrel, er, Minister has bravely ran away.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: The hell is a "Freedom Convoy" and why is it harassing Ottawa?

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Figures Mickey Rat hates life-saving vaccines.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Only if they contain genegineered 5G tracking- and mind-control-chips, developed and produced by a shadowy cabal of Microsoft-programmers and chinese biologists or something to that extend :lol:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:44 am Figures Mickey Rat hates life-saving vaccines.
As you hate honest readings of what people write.

Vaccines are fine, though these are not what we traditionally think of vaccines and do not function in the same way. I dislike using force of law to compel people to take a medical treatment they are skeptical of, and as the RNA vaccines do not prevent transmission, the utilitarian justification for such mandates is shaky at best.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Maybe we can stop with the gaslighting by governments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZS1KO ... -&index=67

KitWargSpectacle
Officer

Post by KitWargSpectacle »

Not a year ago, (as far as I'm aware) all the politicians were saying no no, no way there's gonna be mandates - so has the situation worsened now, or is this simply treason then?
Or have they simply just found enough citizens supporting the idea of mandates - and which political wing are those citizens largely in?

Either way I think it's interesting that, say, a year ago, the "liberals" or "leftists" would've laughed at any "alarmist" predicting such a development, and called them paranoid "conspiracy theorists" or something - and yet, if one imagined an emergence of such mandates, and was asked to bet on which "side" would suddenly be in support of it, the bets wouldn't have been on the conservatives would they have?

So, the "liberals", the "left", support authgov and can be safely bet on supporting it down the line, on the most significant acute issue of the day - can it now be officially said that the "political spectrum" is largely meaningless now, with the "2 sides" picking their pro-freedom and pro-authoritarian-restriction stances at random?
That there's no ideology or convictions anymore, just tribalism (as far as the mainstream movements go, that is)?

And meanwhile of course, the right tries to present itself as pro-freedom(-from-messures-against-airborne-infections) so they can win the votes and then push their restrictive puritan policies regarding sexually transmitted infections, traditional family planning etc.

Or is my impression distorted somehow and I'm getting sth wrong?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The convoy has been condemned by trucking industry groups,[14][15] and the Canadian Trucking Alliance reported that a large number of protesters had no connection to trucking.[16]
I'm utterly shocked if this is true.
..What mirror universe? ;/
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

KitWargSpectacle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:56 pm Not a year ago, (as far as I'm aware) all the politicians were saying no no, no way there's gonna be mandates - so has the situation worsened now, or is this simply treason then?
About two years ago, I sat in my cubicle looking at all this panic about a new disease thinking smugly that it would blow over like swine flu. Not a week later was I working at home, along with all the other federal government employees. About a week or two after that, all my meetups were cancelled by lockdowns and my social life degenerated back to first year of university.

Given restaurants are back to fifty percent capacity starting last Sunday, the situation has only improved.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
KitWargSpectacle
Officer

Post by KitWargSpectacle »

TGLS wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:08 pm
KitWargSpectacle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:56 pm Not a year ago, (as far as I'm aware) all the politicians were saying no no, no way there's gonna be mandates - so has the situation worsened now, or is this simply treason then?
About two years ago, I sat in my cubicle looking at all this panic about a new disease thinking smugly that it would blow over like swine flu. Not a week later was I working at home, along with all the other federal government employees. About a week or two after that, all my meetups were cancelled by lockdowns and my social life degenerated back to first year of university.

Given restaurants are back to fifty percent capacity starting last Sunday, the situation has only improved.
I think they were promising "no mandates" even as late as last summer.

The point I made above was of a very limited nature - citing the public benefits of government impositions on individual liberty (talking normal people here, not just rich employers etc.), is typically a rightwing conservative (or red authleft) position;

it'd be naive to insist that such a stance could never, under any circumstances, be warranted? However I'd be a lot less confused if it had been the rightwlng parties pushing for restrictions and mandates, and previous liberals were converting to the rightwing in droves (until the crisis has abated, of course) and saying so out loud.