Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Morgaine
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Morgaine »

I am never one to label anyone a mary sue as quickly as others, but when even I notice how every character is reduced to a gibbering jellyfish in order to make Michael look good then something is really wrong with the writing. Oh well, there goes the only Klingon character who was even close to interesting.

Also, every spore drive related problem in the latest episode would be instantly solved if they just did the DNA treatment on a couple of other people. Artificial drama is bad drama.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Fixer wrote:Definitely kept the tradition of discreet starfleet sensor devices being large, brightly lit and loud. Good job the error siren didn't go off.
Also the UT being fairly loud; considering it’s a stealth mission you’d have thought they’d have used earbuds or something so the sound of the translation wouldn’t give them away (maybe the sound of the homing bug masked it? :p). Even if 23rd Century communicators aren’t compatible with standard 21st century smart phone accessories, at the very least they could be synced up to one of the earpieces Uhura (and occasionaly Spock) used on TOS (and iirc T’pol and/or Hashi used them on Enterprise, so they can’t say they hadn’t been invented yet by Discovery).
PlasmaHam
Redshirt

Post by PlasmaHam »

Morgaine wrote:I am never one to label anyone a mary sue as quickly as others, but when even I notice how every character is reduced to a gibbering jellyfish in order to make Michael look good then something is really wrong with the writing. Oh well, there goes the only Klingon character who was even close to interesting.
That's my big issue with the Michael character. The show is going out of its way to present her as some ultra-competent officer who outsmarts the science officer, has more tactical prowess than the captain, and can fight a Klingon to a standstill in bladed combat. Even the legendary Kirk wasn't this OP.

Actually allow Burnham to be a natural character, instead of this artificially created "strong woman", and I might actually start to like her character. Discovery has done pretty well in the character department for the other characters, they just need to quit this Burnham worship.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PlasmaHam wrote:
Morgaine wrote:I am never one to label anyone a mary sue as quickly as others, but when even I notice how every character is reduced to a gibbering jellyfish in order to make Michael look good then something is really wrong with the writing. Oh well, there goes the only Klingon character who was even close to interesting.
That's my big issue with the Michael character. The show is going out of its way to present her as some ultra-competent officer who outsmarts the science officer, has more tactical prowess than the captain, and can fight a Klingon to a standstill in bladed combat. Even the legendary Kirk wasn't this OP.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

That's not the legendary Kirk, that's the J.J. Abrams Kirk. The one who became Captain of the Enterprise because destiny or something.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fixer wrote:That's not the legendary Kirk, that's the J.J. Abrams Kirk. The one who became Captain of the Enterprise because destiny or something.
How did Destiny make the jump from Stargate to Star Trek? Will this be explained in Season 3?

Yeah, sorry, I'll show myself out for this horrible joke
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Madner Kami wrote:
Fixer wrote:That's not the legendary Kirk, that's the J.J. Abrams Kirk. The one who became Captain of the Enterprise because destiny or something.
How did Destiny make the jump from Stargate to Star Trek? Will this be explained in Season 3?

Yeah, sorry, I'll show myself out for this horrible joke
My thinking was it was the will of the force :lol:

So the last episode has left me largely ambivalent. It had some entertaining moments at least. Some 'splosions, high stakes combat, the United Federation of Planets Admiral effect was well in effect again; Only there to give orders for the Captain to heroically disobey. They also score some brownie points for portraying male rape as traumatic in stark contrast to Enterprise's male rape is comedy routine.

Lorca's actions are interesting as well. It's nicely implied that his "reward" for a job well done will involve him losing command, especially with the Admiral rescued. I like the theory that he's a mirror universe captain, his phaser under the pillow wasn't the action of someone suffering from PTSD. It was the habit of someone who was suitably paranoid from living in a universe of perpetual backstabbing. He also sneakily put in that override on the spore jump drive.

Also, thank god the Klingons were speaking English.

The bad? Goddamn dutch angles everywhere still. Somebody please get the film crew a spirit level.
Burnham having to convince Lorca to let her go for some reason. Just one of the inconsistent portrayals. Lorca seems to swap back between being highly protective of Burnham or sending her on away missions. Apparently depending on whether the writer needs to show how Lorca either cares for her to the point she needs to make a persuasive argument to change his mind or highly respects her for her extreme proficiency in plot of the week.
I'm really looking forward to my vacation with my loved ones now I'm one week away from retirement.
These devices shall disguise our lifesigns as klingons. These devices are now disguising our life signs as klingon. I am detecting a human lifesign, guess klingons don't scan for those. Or HIGHLY CONSPICUOUS FEDERATION DEVICES.
I get the feeling that the fight between a two people that had never met was supposed to be emotional closure for something somehow.
Yes, Tyler is Voq, we know.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

On the devices, you'd think they'd have a mute function at least so they wouldn't go "NOW LINKING TO USS DISCOVERY BEEP BEEP BEEP"
But apparently all Klingons are deaf so that's okay, Must be the heavy prosthetics.

I also like how the fight between Kol and Michael seemed to operate on videogame battle mode logic. Even though Kol ordered the ship to warp away because the Discovery was obviously up to something, they remain perfectly stationary because everybody is obligated to stand and watch apparently.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Oh god. Tyler really is going to be Voq, isn't he?

This is going to be weapons-grade stupid. Please, please, please don't do this.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

LittleRaven wrote:Oh god. Tyler really is going to be Voq, isn't he?.
Seemingly almost every serialized HAS to have a shock twist. Cuz drama as we're highly invested in the Michael - Ash relationship that was developed in all of 10 minutes of on-screen dialogue.

There's another fan-theory plot twist prediction that I've seen on Reddit that I think is going to wind up true as well. If you also read reddit, you'll probably know what I'm hinting at.