Coronavirus - the new pandemic

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Coronavirus - the new pandemic

Post by Frustration »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:52 am Frustration, you want to pretend the pandemic is over and get on with your life.
No, I recognize that the pandemic will never be "over", any more than the flu is. The initial reaction of caution made sense, given that we didn't know what Covid would be like - it ended up being a remarkably weak and nonlethal pandemic, compared to the past, but it *could* have been terrifying.

We've stopped paying attention to the science or rationally reacting. We're not planning, or acknowledging the present. We're not acknowledging what our responses actually DO, or admitting what we are and will likely be capable of in terms of controlling it.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:34 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:52 am Frustration, you want to pretend the pandemic is over and get on with your life.
No, I recognize that the pandemic will never be "over", any more than the flu is. The initial reaction of caution made sense, given that we didn't know what Covid would be like - it ended up being a remarkably weak and nonlethal pandemic, compared to the past, but it *could* have been terrifying.

We've stopped paying attention to the science or rationally reacting. We're not planning, or acknowledging the present. We're not acknowledging what our responses actually DO, or admitting what we are and will likely be capable of in terms of controlling it.
Where are you getting your info from? I see talk about it every day whether local news channels to mainstream ones. Newspapers local ones and even rag ones like The New York Post report it.

Hell I remember Philly schools were talking about a possibility of going virtual again after the New Years.

And I would not call something that has killed nearly 6 million worldwide either nonlethal. Not even comparison to something else.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Frustration, you're saying that because you're okay with this level of risk, everyone else should be. That because you think you're healthy enough to deal, that's okay, and people who have asthma, immune issues, or are just too young for a shot or very old should suck it up.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

He's also saying that he's ok with everyone in the public service industry being economically forced to continue risking their lives for the sake of his personal comfort and convenience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

J!! wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:57 am He's also saying that he's ok with everyone in the public service industry being economically forced to continue risking their lives for the sake of his personal comfort and convenience.
I'm not getting all that. It just seems like a speculation of current events with lacking account of conditions.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:45 am Frustration, you're saying that because you're okay with this level of risk, everyone else should be. That because you think you're healthy enough to deal, that's okay, and people who have asthma, immune issues, or are just too young for a shot or very old should suck it up.
What if he's saying he'd be OK with that level of risk too if he was in the same position as those people? At some point you've got to draw the line; life isn't zero risk (and I'd hate to live in a world where everything is done to make it as close to that as possible; it's already gone too far down that path).
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

And what exactly do you do for a living? It's easy to say shit like that when you don't have to risk your life every day for minimum wage, just to survive.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Right. There are a lot of reasons that this isn't about inhibiting personal freedoms for personal safety. Hospital capacities are one. A reduced risk to transmit the virus is another. People that are working without a compensating differential is another.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

My roommate's friend died from the virus last night. He was suffering so much that his family is relieved the pain is over. Just like the flu my ass.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:30 am My roommate's friend died from the virus last night. He was suffering so much that his family is relieved the pain is over. Just like the flu my ass.
A friend of my mother had Covid and passed away, she was so sick by the end that there was nothing they could do. The daughter of another friend had it and was on an oxygen tank for six months this is no flu.