VOY:Spirit Folk or "PaddyWorld"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: VOY:Spirit Folk or "PaddyWorld"

Post by Madner Kami »

Morgaine wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Regarding the episode, considering we never see Fair Haven again, I doubt anyone played it for fear of being kidnapped. It also allowed members of the crew who didn't want to play Irish theme park something else.
That part always bothered me.
Star Trek has always not really bothered to show the logistics of the finite resource of holodecks aboard ship, who gets to use it ehen etc (wouldn't there be a long list of complaints for Barclay's overuse for instance? Did he just "buy" a whole lot of time?)
But Fair Haven takes the cake. They seemed to want the simulation to take over all the holodecks as some sort of community sandbox game... but what if you don't like turn of the 20th century Irish stereotypes?
Well I guess you're stuck, Overlord Janeway has taken your last bit of fun on the ship of the damned here.
I vaguely recall that the Enterprise-D had 7 holo-"decks" and tons of other recreational facilities, so it's at least somewhat believable that one holodeck could be hogged by one person in his entire freetime, while everyone else isn't really bothered. Voyager got two, which would allow running Fair Haven on one while the other is occupied by whoever doesn't care for that bullshit, so there's at least that. Question, is Fair Haven after the Hirogen revamped Voyager into one giant holodeck? Could be, that they never really got around to reconfiguring the ship back to it's original layout and some more people have to share bunks for the voyage now...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Madner Kami wrote:
Morgaine wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Regarding the episode, considering we never see Fair Haven again, I doubt anyone played it for fear of being kidnapped. It also allowed members of the crew who didn't want to play Irish theme park something else.
That part always bothered me.
Star Trek has always not really bothered to show the logistics of the finite resource of holodecks aboard ship, who gets to use it ehen etc (wouldn't there be a long list of complaints for Barclay's overuse for instance? Did he just "buy" a whole lot of time?)
But Fair Haven takes the cake. They seemed to want the simulation to take over all the holodecks as some sort of community sandbox game... but what if you don't like turn of the 20th century Irish stereotypes?
Well I guess you're stuck, Overlord Janeway has taken your last bit of fun on the ship of the damned here.
I vaguely recall that the Enterprise-D had 7 holo-"decks" and tons of other recreational facilities, so it's at least somewhat believable that one holodeck could be hogged by one person in his entire freetime, while everyone else isn't really bothered. Voyager got two, which would allow running Fair Haven on one while the other is occupied by whoever doesn't care for that bullshit, so there's at least that. Question, is Fair Haven after the Hirogen revamped Voyager into one giant holodeck? Could be, that they never really got around to reconfiguring the ship back to it's original layout and some more people have to share bunks for the voyage now...
I'm certain there's a point in one of the episodes where they discuss extending then simulation into the second holodeck and running it 24/7, which is what disturbed me.
Things are bad enough on a ship lost in deep space because the captain doesn't know what timed explosives are, but now their only form of holodeck entertainment is this banal hick village?
I'd just hope they can replicate a Nintendo Switch or something.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Morgaine wrote:I'm certain there's a point in one of the episodes where they discuss extending then simulation into the second holodeck and running it 24/7, which is what disturbed me.
Things are bad enough on a ship lost in deep space because the captain doesn't know what timed explosives are, but now their only form of holodeck entertainment is this banal hick village?
I'd just hope they can replicate a Nintendo Switch or something.
Good point, yeah, I think I recall that conversation and yes, the implications for the freetime of the crew, are dire (only having 1 holodeck for a crew of roughly 150 is bad enough as is, really, because assuming a three-shift system, that means 50 people are not either sleeping or on duty, allowing for a whooping 9.6 minutes session for each one per day...). But then again, Voyager is a cult-community which adheres to the Gospel of the Unfailable Queen Spider, except that for some reason they do not oblige their deity when it demands to eat Harry. Well, I guess making fun of him could be the prime spare-time activity of the crew, when both holodecks are occupied?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Just did some math on holodeck time. For Voyager, they get about 56 2 hour blocks per shift per week with their 2 holodeck (with 9 extra for maintenance or incentive grants). Full time fair haven cuts that to only hour blocks. For the Enterprise-D, they get 18 26 minute blocks per shift per week (assuming a complement of 6000, 16 extra per week).

On the other hand, there's actually something else to do on the Enterprise, while on Voyager its holodeck or read.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

TGLS wrote:
On the other hand, there's actually something else to do on the Enterprise, while on Voyager its holodeck or read.
Now that’s not fair...there was also that ping pong tourney in the Mess Hall that one time (hopefully using actual ping pong balls, not just Nelix’s uneaten boils potatoes...).
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I'm sure there is regular beer pong Voyager equivalents and other drinking games. The Voyager crew must be hitting that sauce hard by this point.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, only if they managed to hack the replicators to put out the real stuff...
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

TGLS wrote:Well, only if they managed to hack the replicators to put out the real stuff...
I'm sure they did that the moment they realised they'd have to be living off Neelix's vague approximation of cooking for the foreseeable future.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote:Well, only if they managed to hack the replicators to put out the real stuff...
You can always replicate or just build a distillery and simple grape-juice, hops, corn or whatever fancies your tastes and go on from there. Moons shine over every planet we know of. And if they have to worry about hiding it, they conviniently carry an irish town along with them. Not having a distillery there would be suspicious.

Which atually makes me wonder. Isn't the point in drinking alcohol to get drunk in the first place? Who would ever drink synthohol if it tastes like alcohol, but doesn't make you drunk? Alcohol is, after all, disgusting and removing the taste of alcohol would probably improve the taste of almost all alcoholic beverages, so what you are stuck with when drinking synthohol is having all the downsides of alcohol, but none of the upsides either. Who does that?!
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Madner Kami wrote:Which atually makes me wonder. Isn't the point in drinking alcohol to get drunk in the first place? Who would ever drink synthohol if it tastes like alcohol, but doesn't make you drunk? Alcohol is, after all, disgusting and removing the taste of alcohol would probably improve the taste of almost all alcoholic beverages, so what you are stuck with when drinking synthohol is having all the downsides of alcohol, but none of the upsides either. Who does that?!
I cannot get drunk in the usual sense (I just get dizzy or get an instant hangover if I drink too much) but I still enjoy the occasional beer or wine. It's not that strange to me.