Both sides are bad....

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Archanubis
Officer

Re: Both sides are bad....

Post by Archanubis »

The Romulan Republic wrote:As for Franken, I'm disappointed, but its not hard to anticipate that there'd be some prominent Democrats revealed as predators. No party has a monopoly on it. The test will come in how the Democrats respond, going forward.
Considering that there are at least two, so far unidentified, members of the House - one on both sides of the aisle - who have been said to engage in harassing behavior, it's very likely.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Agent Vinod wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:The problem with sarcasm, is that there is pretty much nothing you can say in sarcasm or jest which surpasses in stupidity and malice that which Trump and his supporters say in deadly earnest.

As for Franken, I'm disappointed, but its not hard to anticipate that there'd be some prominent Democrats revealed as predators. No party has a monopoly on it. The test will come in how the Democrats respond, going forward.
Call him a predator for misunderstanding something, going for it to soon. Le us brand him like a child molester.

Everyone has to be a sexual jedi master from now on.
With every thread I have a harder and harder time making lucid sense of what you are saying.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:The problem with sarcasm, is that there is pretty much nothing you can say in sarcasm or jest which surpasses in stupidity and malice that which Trump and his supporters say in deadly earnest.

As for Franken, I'm disappointed, but its not hard to anticipate that there'd be some prominent Democrats revealed as predators. No party has a monopoly on it. The test will come in how the Democrats respond, going forward.
Call him a predator for misunderstanding something, going for it to soon. Le us brand him like a child molester.

Everyone has to be a sexual jedi master from now on.
With every thread I have a harder and harder time making lucid sense of what you are saying.
I am not bothered by it. Might lead to less fights... :D
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I can make perfect sense of what he's saying.

He resents that men are actually judged for making sexual contact with a woman based on their assumptions, rather than making the effort to actually find out weather or not she's okay with it first. Never mind that Franken pretty clearly knew she wasn't okay with it, given that a) he reportedly pressured her into the kiss, and b) he took the photo while she was asleep and unaware.

Because apparently "Don't do something unless the person consents" is "being a sexual jedi master", now. And expecting a man to make that effort is more of an unfair burden on him than being groped by men is an unfair burden on women.

I think that this sense of entitlement/resentment is a major underlying motive behind a lot of Alt.-Reich-ism, actually.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I can make perfect sense of what he's saying.

He resents that men are actually judged for making sexual contact with a woman based on their assumptions, rather than making the effort to actually find out weather or not she's okay with it first. Never mind that Franken pretty clearly knew she wasn't okay with it, given that a) he reportedly pressured her into the kiss, and b) he took the photo while she was asleep and unaware.

Because apparently "Don't do something unless the person consents" is "being a sexual jedi master", now. And expecting a man to make that effort is more of an unfair burden on him than being groped by men is an unfair burden on women.

I think that this sense of entitlement/resentment is a major underlying motive behind a lot of Alt.-Reich-ism, actually.
I did not see the picture, but my spoint stands. i assumed it was diferrent circumsatmnces based on the OP.

You think verbal confirmation will work. I do not. anything else leaves a ton of space for error. Describe the Alt Reich mnovement for a millionth time.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh. I'm surprised you haven't see the picture. Its been plastered all over the news the last couple days. Which strikes me as kind of strange, now that I think about it. I mean, I suppose its good to have the proof out there, but I wonder how the victim feels about a few million more people seeing an image of them being degraded. Unless she wants it out there as evidence, of course.

But if verbal confirmation "doesn't work", what would work better? Verbal confirmation is sure as hell less likely to lead to "misunderstandings" (or deliberate exploitation) than "I thought they looked/sounded like they wanted it."

I mean, why is it such a huge burden to get to know someone, and then ask them what they're comfortable with? Why is that such a huge burden, such a great injustice, that you feel that it is better to risk violating someone? Or perhaps I should ask why you feel that this is such a burden that imposing it is a greater injustice than assuming consent is to the victims?

And if you say it won't work, then why do you say it won't work? Justify your position, or concede that it is motivated by selfishness and inertia, nothing more.

Edit: And I'd define the Alt-Right, or Alt-Reich, as, I suppose "A loose affiliation of reactionary Right-wing factions and ideologies, generally motivated by hostility to the status quo, fear and hatred of an "other" who is blamed for said status quo, and a misplaced sense of persecution."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

LittleRaven wrote:From what we know so far, Franken is hardly a predator. He made a bad joke, he apologized, she accepted his apology.

Unless there's more where this came from, I think he's fine.
Groping a sleeping person is not a joke, it's assault.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

LittleRaven wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:It's really hard to read tone on the internet, so I have to ask, are you being sarcastic?
Wow. I knew Poe's Law was in full effect these days, but I confess I thought THAT one would get through.

Yes Fuzzy. I'm being super, SUPER sarcastic. ;)
Please stop frelling with me. I live in the post-Onion era and I'm really struggling to uncover intent behind the layers of irony and sarcasm. x.x
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
LittleRaven wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:It's really hard to read tone on the internet, so I have to ask, are you being sarcastic?
Wow. I knew Poe's Law was in full effect these days, but I confess I thought THAT one would get through.

Please stop frelling with me. I live in the post-Onion era and I'm really struggling to uncover intent behind the layers of irony and sarcasm. x.x
Sadly, in this day and age, satire leans a *little* too close to reality. :(
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Archanubis wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
LittleRaven wrote:

Sadly, in this day and age, satire leans a *little* too close to reality. :(
YES I'VE NOTICED