Star Trek (VOY): Dreadnought

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: Star Trek (VOY): Dreadnought

Post by Durandal_1707 »

"I think the only thing more surprising than that would have to be, uh, a ship from the future."

How about a ship from the future that immediately blows up?

(play Star Trek: Judgment Rites if you haven't :D )
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:37 pm "I think the only thing more surprising than that would have to be, uh, a ship from the future."

How about a ship from the future that immediately blows up?

(play Star Trek: Judgment Rites if you haven't :D )
Oddly I was thinking the CCG Galactic Empires. They had three very similar cards. Ship from the Future, a card of a ship showing up. Doing damage and then gone.
Ship from the past. I forget what it did.
And Ship from the Present. The card that was there to confuse people into thinking it was the ship from the future.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like the biggest drawback of this episode is it is a clear illustration of how much the writers hated the Delta Quadrant from a storytelling perspective. Their entire story makes no sense because it requires yet another object drawn from the Alpha Quadrant to work and somehow keep up with the Voyager. It's a box that they draw from all the godddamn time and makes less sense the further from season one or the final season it gets. Which means it happens ALL the time.

They don't want to do stories in the Delta Quadrant. They don't want to explore new places with no ties to the past. They want to stick with Alpha Quadrant races and ideas while not developing Delta Quadrant ones.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:53 am I feel like the biggest drawback of this episode is it is a clear illustration of how much the writers hated the Delta Quadrant from a storytelling perspective. Their entire story makes no sense because it requires yet another object drawn from the Alpha Quadrant to work and somehow keep up with the Voyager. It's a box that they draw from all the godddamn time and makes less sense the further from season one or the final season it gets. Which means it happens ALL the time.

They don't want to do stories in the Delta Quadrant. They don't want to explore new places with no ties to the past. They want to stick with Alpha Quadrant races and ideas while not developing Delta Quadrant ones.
Agreed, but at the same time, its entirely their own fault that they got bored with the Delta Quadrant so quickly. They chose to go with the Kazon as the main villains. A race that I have never heard anyone defend. Even Wang and McNeill on their podcast take stabs at them. And yet, Seska is one of the most popular villains in Trek so there was something there.

The Viidians had potential. A classic horror movie alien that was also kind of sympathetic as they are making the devil's own choice: live by killing others or die in horrific agony. But they ended up just being a villain of the week.

Its actually kind of funny in retrospect just how many Trek shows needed a season 3 retool to correct the incompetence of their first two seasons. TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DIS. Only TOS seems to buck the trend by becoming worse with its S3 not better.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:10 am Its actually kind of funny in retrospect just how many Trek shows needed a season 3 retool to correct the incompetence of their first two seasons. TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DIS. Only TOS seems to buck the trend by becoming worse with its S3 not better.
Check me on this. But TOS was exploration and episode of the week. Sold as Wagon Train in Space. So it followed an established formula.

The others all had a theme or concept stapled to them that hampered them. TNG was to be the 'cooler' continuation. But was trying a bit too hard.

DS9 was father and son in one place. Let's see what comes to them. And to be fair to Voyager. The whole develop new local threats thing was the weakness of DS9. They had to bring in the Dominion and the Klingons.

VOY was lost in space Trek. But you had burnout from the end of TNG and a vague. "Put them away from support". But you know don't have them really struggle. Hence the reset button. Oh and can we have a Female captain? As noted in the various reviews where Janeway being Captain was her standing to be taller than those around her. Like she was always compensating.

ENT had the whole temporal cold war tossed in. And I say tossed because those episodes always made the least sense. So the sense of finding the things we grew up with for the first time. And the struggles kept getting kicked down.

So I think maybe TOS was good at first is it didn't have an agenda nailing it down.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Ds9 doesn't really have any insufferable episodes in the first seasons.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:24 pm Ds9 doesn't really have any insufferable episodes in the first seasons.
''Allamaraine, count to four. Allamaraine, then three more. Allamaraine, if you can see, Allamaraine, you'll come with me.''
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:32 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:24 pm Ds9 doesn't really have any insufferable episodes in the first seasons.
''Allamaraine, count to four. Allamaraine, then three more. Allamaraine, if you can see, Allamaraine, you'll come with me.''
You didn't have to do that to him. He had blotted it out of memory! ;)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The episode resembles the 2nd or 3rd bad episode of TNG but itself is not that bad in comparison.
..What mirror universe?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yeah, that episode was so goofy that it was kind of fun (at least that's how I remember it; admittedly I haven't seen the episode in years). Also it had plenty of Odo/Quark banter, which was always entertaining even in the bad episodes.

"If Wishes Were Horses" and that one where Bashir gets possessed, though, those two can die in a fire.