"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by ProfessorDetective »

SCOTUS is poised to repeal Roe V. Wade.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/0 ... n-00029473
McAvoy
Captain

Re: "Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by McAvoy »

There are many states with trigger laws that the moment this gets overturned all the laws become into effect.

I think a total of 26 states will more or less make this their state law. Mind you some of these laws outright abortion and some others ban it in such a short time that no way in hell would a woman would know.

Then apparently there is a concern about the so called abortion pills.

There is also some commercial that shows a Mom with her pregnant daughter being pulled over by cops in suspicion of getting an abortion.
I got nothing to say here.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

This is ridiculous, while I don't agree with abortion I support a woman's right to choose and it should only be between the woman and her Doctor. The Government needs to stay out of it now.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Going by my digging, this will NOT stop at abortion. The next step will basically be removing the IDEA of interpreting the Constitution. If it isn't explicitly outlined or isn't "deeply rooted in American history and tradition" (whatever that means), it's not a right.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/05/10967323 ... d-abortion
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

In an era of 99% effective contraception I do not think that there is an excuse for most abortions. Just my opinion.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

That is fair. I'm not saying people have to agree with abortion just that they shouldn't judge others for getting one for their own reasons and to let them be. there are cases like ectopic pregnancy where they have to abort or the person WILL die.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Yeah, many of the trigger laws do NOT account for abortions for reasons of assault, abuse, or health risks and often count miscarriages, intentional or otherwise, as abortions.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:32 am In an era of 99% effective contraception I do not think that there is an excuse for most abortions. Just my opinion.
They're going to go after contraception pretty soon as well.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:32 am In an era of 99% effective contraception I do not think that there is an excuse for most abortions. Just my opinion.
Given that Louisiana is looking into to passing a law that declares life begins fertilization, and some birth control stops fertilized embryos from implanting, there goes 99% effective contraception. And well, banning abortion like this still leaves out cases of rape, cases where the fetus would be unable to live outside the womb, and cases where the 99% effective fails.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Moreover abortion is a necessary medical procedure for many reasons. Even in a world where 100% of pregnancies were wanted and deliberate, abortion would be necessary.

But then, the fact this will get people killed, both by creating more unsafe elective abortions and by delaying or making inaccessible medically necessary abortions is a desired outcome for the people who push to criminalize it. An atmosphere of fear and uncertainty which advantages men of wealth and influence and gives them more control over “their” women (and those that are not women at all, but such people would never acknowledge that) is The Point of such laws.