Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:05 am He isn't doing anything remotely trollish. You two just have conflicting opinions which happens on forums. Surprise!
I've had him on ignore for months to years, haven't replied to his crap even after I returned from the vacation he drove me to last time, and yet he keeps replying to my posts and blowing up my notifications.

No way in my book that isn't intentional and calculated to annoy.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:14 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:05 am He isn't doing anything remotely trollish. You two just have conflicting opinions which happens on forums. Surprise!
I've had him on ignore for months to years, haven't replied to his crap even after I returned from the vacation he drove me to last time, and yet he keeps replying to my posts and blowing up my notifications.

Sure. Or maybe he forgot who you are.

Or maybe you made a statement that's moronic itself?

I mean you did state that you will never change your opinion of Saru's species. Somebody who won't change their opinion of something isn't worth talking to.
I got nothing to say here.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Basically, McAvoy, you and I are disagreeing. I don't have a single emotional issue with this. My reaction to your posts is a big fat shrug. My reaction to the troll is very much not. So it's definitely NOT just having different opinions that's the issue.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:23 am

I mean you did state that you will never change your opinion of Saru's species. Somebody who won't change their opinion of something isn't worth talking to.
I mean, Phipps's BS drove me off of here for a good long while. That may not be memorable to the troll, but it's memorable to me.

And I said that nothing PHIPPS said could possibly change my opinion. It's entirely possible that someone could write a convincing case for the core initial concept of Saru's species, if not its season 1 execution, being viable, which might change my mind on that point. But it won't be that troll.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:26 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:23 am

I mean, Phipps's BS drove me off of here for a good long while. That may not be memorable to the troll, but it's memorable to me.

And I said that nothing PHIPPS said could possibly change my opinion. It's entirely possible that someone could write a convincing case for the core initial concept of Saru's species, if not its season 1 execution, being viable, which might change my mind on that point. But it won't be that troll.
It's not that hard to make a convincing case for Saru's species. It's Star Trek. Even now, they are not going to go into meaningless detail how and why Saru's species became what they are. No more than Vulcan or Klingon or Cardassian or Trill or Bajoran or Andorian

Are you going to tell me any of the above has a better evolutionary backstory than Saru's own?

Because I will straight up call you a liar.

And as far as your little muck up with CharlesPhipps, he hasn't shown any form of trolling. As far as I can see. Difference of opinion is not trolling.

This site has seen trolling and arguing over a point is not trolling. But I might be wrong. I have seen many trolling efforts including one named Reality of all things. I might have been wrong about him then.

But who knows. Maybe you are the one to who was right and he was wrong. Afterall you are right and he had to be wrong. Trolls are automaticslly wrong. He can't be right because, you are right and he is always wrong. He is a toll afterall.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 amPlease stop replying to me. I have you on ignore for a reason. I don't want to see you blowing up my notifications, and I will not let you drive me away from here again.

Obviously, my opinion of the Kelpiens will never change because of anything you say and I find both backstories equally moronic.
I'm sorry if you have felt under attack by anything I have ever said. I don't believe anyone should ever feel unwelcome or under assault on the internet even if you disagree with their opinions. This is meant to be a place of fun and good will.

To share in our enjoyment and happiness at stories being told in our favorite franchises.

In my case, I post here because I love Star Trek and Chuck's reviews.

Also, the only conversation I remember we had was you telling me Orci was a 9/11 truther, which thanks for that, as it made me regret ever liking Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 am
It's not that hard to make a convincing case for Saru's species. It's Star Trek. Even now, they are not going to go into meaningless detail how and why Saru's species became what they are. No more than Vulcan or Klingon or Cardassian or Trill or Bajoran or Andorian

Are you going to tell me any of the above has a better evolutionary backstory than Saru's own?

Because I will straight up call you a liar.

And as far as your little muck up with CharlesPhipps, he hasn't shown any form of trolling. As far as I can see. Difference of opinion is not trolling.

This site has seen trolling and arguing over a point is not trolling. But I might be wrong. I have seen many trolling efforts including one named Reality of all things. I might have been wrong about him then.

But who knows. Maybe you are the one to who was right and he was wrong. Afterall you are right and he had to be wrong. Trolls are automaticslly wrong. He can't be right because, you are right and he is always wrong. He is a toll afterall.
Go ahead and call me a liar. I still think that Saru's species's backstory is incoherent absurdity thought up by a two-bit hack who never so much as looked at a high school biology textbook.

I mean, it's Star Trek, but let's not kid ourselves, sometimes the science, and the entire script for that matter, makes sense and sometimes it's "herp derp me Alex Kurtzman, me brilliant scifi writer, have a woman rape a man is #metoo, right?".

As for Phipps, I call him a troll because his attitude when I had him off ignore was toxic and smug.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I am indeed, very smug. I hope to never be toxic, though.

But yes, Season 4 just didn't work for me because I felt like the storyline sidelined my favorite characters (Saru and Tilly) while also including an EXPY of Soren from Generations as the main villain, who is the weirdest villain to copy. How many villains are obsessed with going to literal ****ing Heaven in Star Trek do you need? Which technically means Soren, Sybok, and the Way to Eden guy.

I feel like the aliens who destroyed multiple inhabited planets are also portrayed as innocent way too easily when it requires them to be spectacularly dense just to make the aesop. I would have preferred the aliens know what they were doing and just not care--but the show wanted to be "optimistic" in a way that stretched even Star Trek's idealism.

It had its good qualities but I think Season 3 with the mystery of the Burn and the Emerald Chain worked much better.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:08 am It's sooo stupid though. Human level intelligence nearly REQUIRES carnivory for lifeforms that are anything like vertebrates
Wait, are you saying that vegetarians aren't really human? :lol:
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 pmWait, are you saying that vegetarians aren't really human? :lol:
A lot of animals are also opportunity omnivores and will eat both meat or vegetable mass if available.

See the noble deer.