Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:25 am Anyone really convinced nuSpock feels like Spock?

Quinto Spock is different enough to Nimoy Spock but does feel familiar.
QuintoSpock is the best Leonard Nimoy-as-Spock impression in human history. Which is why when he's given a bad script and Nimoy is given exposition Nimoy blows him out of the water, but when Quinto has a GOOD script he's amazing.

Peck is...tolerable. He is not offensively bad. He isn't lighting me up, either.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I prefer Quinto Spock.

Peck's Spock is okay.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:25 am Anyone really convinced nuSpock feels like Spock?

QuintoSpock is the best Leonard Nimoy-as-Spock impression in human history. Which is why when he's given a bad script and Nimoy is given exposition Nimoy blows him out of the water, but when Quinto has a GOOD script he's amazing.

Peck is...tolerable. He is not offensively bad. He isn't lighting me up, either.
What do you consider a good script in this context? I haven't really been impressed with Quinto's Spock in any of the things I've seen him in.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:38 pm
What do you consider a good script in this context? I haven't really been impressed with Quinto's Spock in any of the things I've seen him in.
If I were to say what justifies Quinto's Spock, all I need to do, IMHO, is point to the scene where he is accepted into the Vulcan Science Academy despite his "disability."
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 am

Quinto Spock got a good script with Beyond and he was on fire.

In the '09 movie he was acting his ASS off and the script was generic angry white boy.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 am
If I were to say what justifies Quinto's Spock, all I need to do, IMHO, is point to the scene where he is accepted into the Vulcan Science Academy despite his "disability."
I'd be open to considering the argument that his performance in that scene was good taken in and of itself, but I don't think it's even remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock - not even close to close. Again, I'm not commenting here on one being superior to the other in terms of performance: I'm just saying that they're nothing alike. In fact as I said, I really don't think anything I've seen from Quinto is remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock. I imagine this has as much as anything to do with the modern films not understanding the character at all - or choosing to approach the character in an entirely different way.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 am I'd be open to considering the argument that his performance in that scene was good taken in and of itself, but I don't think it's even remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock - not even close to close. Again, I'm not commenting here on one being superior to the other in terms of performance: I'm just saying that they're nothing alike. In fact as I said, I really don't think anything I've seen from Quinto is remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock. I imagine this has as much as anything to do with the modern films not understanding the character at all - or choosing to approach the character in an entirely different way.
I don't think that's the case at all, unlike Captain Kirk. The Spock of the Kelvin movies is a much younger and more raw Spock. He's not the guy who has served ten years on the Enterprise by the time of TOS. This Spock has just been teaching at the Academy.

I can see him evolving into the Nimoy Spock.

Unlike Pine Kirk.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:25 am
Lazerlike42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 am I'd be open to considering the argument that his performance in that scene was good taken in and of itself, but I don't think it's even remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock - not even close to close. Again, I'm not commenting here on one being superior to the other in terms of performance: I'm just saying that they're nothing alike. In fact as I said, I really don't think anything I've seen from Quinto is remotely reminiscent of Nimoy's Spock. I imagine this has as much as anything to do with the modern films not understanding the character at all - or choosing to approach the character in an entirely different way.
I don't think that's the case at all, unlike Captain Kirk. The Spock of the Kelvin movies is a much younger and more raw Spock. He's not the guy who has served ten years on the Enterprise by the time of TOS. This Spock has just been teaching at the Academy.

Unlike Pine Kirk.
Personally, I don't see it. For example, if you compare the Spock of those films to some of the TOS Spock where he was in more of a "raw" state - e.g., This Side of Pardise or All Our Yesterdays - they just don't seem similar to me at all.

This may be a strange comparison, but the way the modern films present Spock almost reminds me more of Vorik from Voyager than of Spock.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:04 am
Personally, I don't see it. For example, if you compare the Spock of those films to some of the TOS Spock where he was in more of a "raw" state - e.g., This Side of Pardise or All Our Yesterdays - they just don't seem similar to me at all.

This may be a strange comparison, but the way the modern films present Spock almost reminds me more of Vorik from Voyager than of Spock.
To each their own. To me, the Nimoy Spock is best regarded as someone who is always advocating the pragmatic and rationale choice but is never not feeling his emotions. He's just choosing to keep them in check and respond to human sentimentality with sardonicism.

A lot of fans, for example, don't get that in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY the "Old Vulcan proverb about Nixon" is a joke and that Spock makes jokes and jibes all the time.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:04 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:25 am

Unlike Pine Kirk.

Peck's Spock really does feel like Vorik. I haven't thought about that but you are right.
I got nothing to say here.