Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:10 pm I don't think anyone has treated the Kelpians as any more fanciful than anything else in the setting.

They just went with the idea of an intelligent prey species, which I really wish they'd gone into more.
Exactly. How much thought was put into the Trill for example? Their evolution that includes a symbiote species? The Xindi?

We got seven seasons of Odo. We know as much there can be about his species. The Founders are as much fantasy as the Kelpians, Vulcans, Bajorans or Trill. Or Tholians.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I admit I understand greviances if you want Star Trek to be hard science fiction but that's never been my desire from the series.

I know some people who hated the Protomolecule in the Expanse and wish it had been just a hard science political story.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:48 am I admit I understand greviances if you want Star Trek to be hard science fiction but that's never been my desire from the series.

I know some people who hated the Protomolecule in the Expanse and wish it had been just a hard science political story.
The Expanse is based on the books. I get it though. The politics in the show is interesting in itself.

Star Trek was never hard science fiction though. Warp drive, transporters, gravity etc is more fantasy than science.

Like I said, there was never a serious attempt in a shoe's pre production to world build. They pretty much make it up with each episode. They weren't going to really dive into the hard science of how something works or how a species would really evolve.

Those sort of things are left to the fans to figure. Always has been.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:57 pm As a DISCO fan, I think I summarized it as, "It's not that I don't like Michael, I just don't want her to be in every scene and everything to be about her."

Season 2 was doing great until her frigging mother became the central part of the mystery.

I felt they were doing the entire cast a disservice and Ms. Greene as well.

Unfortunately, I just flat out DO NOT LIKE HER as Captain and both my favorite characters have been largely written off the show.
I agree. Especially now that Tilly is maturing as a character, it's a massive shame she's had so little screentime. Wiseman's wonderful.

They had to basically "forget" most of Burnham's conflict last season to even get her in the chair, but since they invented that version of her off-screen during the time-skip, it's all a weird mess to begin with. It's also weird that a large part of her character now is references to "adventures" they inserted essentially between seasons.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Suffice it to say that I've made my point on the Kelpiens and why I think they are incredibly stupid as a species in both versions of the backstory. If you want to give STD the benefit of the doubt it doesn't deserve, go right ahead.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

There have been dumber designed races in Star Trek.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:50 pm Suffice it to say that I've made my point on the Kelpiens and why I think they are incredibly stupid as a species in both versions of the backstory. If you want to give STD the benefit of the doubt it doesn't deserve, go right ahead.
Sure. Whatever you say. You 'made your point.'
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:42 pm There have been dumber designed races in Star Trek.
Without a doubt.

The thing is that writers don't really think that much about the species they write about except for that episode. That's in all of Trek.

But sure, Kelpians are especially stupid. Because reasons.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:42 pm There have been dumber designed races in Star Trek.
Sure. But the intricacies of their biology have never been a major plot point that's clearly intended to blow the audience's mind.

Changeling biology is overtly "whatever works to further Odo's storylines". Medusan biology is an excuse for a Spock plot. The aging-backwards beekeeper aliens...

No, those are irredeemable, same with the Xyrillians.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I point to the Occampa (is that how you spell it?). At least the Kelpian's biological eccentricities can be considered beneficial to their survival.