Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by hammerofglass »

As an American gun owner who had a mass shooting two hours away from her house just over a week ago I hereby formally invite critiques from our comrades in countries where this does not regularly happen.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:06 pm As an American gun owner who had a mass shooting two hours away from her house just over a week ago I hereby formally invite critiques from our comrades in countries where this does not regularly happen.
I invite this as well. Some Americans are critical of other countries, their customs, issues, governments, food, people etc, but hate it when other countries do the same.

I am a gun owner and the number one thing about it is that I view it as a tool, not a toy. As many dangerous tools, I am trained how to use it. It's something my Dad taught me. He grew up on a farm in 50's and he was taught how to use one by his Dad to use it to protect the farm. Not from people but from animals. Keep in mind he is a conservative.
I got nothing to say here.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

BBally81 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 pm Apparently, people are spreading misinformation about the shooter, claiming the culprit was transgender. Among those people are Candance Owens.

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status ... -uT1z85b0w

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna30511

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1 ... cU3SvdtxzQ

https://www.metroweekly.com/2022/05/con ... ransgender
There is an article debunking that. The shooter was not the transgender woman. Some people were using a doctored photo

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna30511
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I also saw some saying he was an illegal as well. So far I haven't seen any news mention that.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Same rumor. Apparently it was a 4chan thing then Infowars carried it and then Rep. Paul Goser repeated it on twitter. It's in Bbally81's fourth link.

I guess if you're just making stuff up might as well cram in all your favorite political punching bags.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:45 am Same rumor. Apparently it was a 4chan thing then Infowars carried it and then Rep. Paul Goser repeated it on twitter. It's in Bbally81's fourth link.

I guess if you're just making stuff up might as well cram in all your favorite political punching bags.
That was damn quick when I heard that rumor. It came right on the heels when news broke out.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, just when you think the Far Right (and I distinguish from the Right) can't get more contemptible, the attempt to use this as ammunition against their political enemies happens.

If this was the 30s, they'd claim it was a Jew.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It's been their go-to since Bannon and Breitbart got popular; flood the zone with bullshit.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Lots of people think there's some easy political panacea that will prevent this from happening again but there's not. It's a complicated problem involving many deep rooted cultural beliefs. It can't be solved by a simple pen stroke.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

One problem is that gun control attempts in the US are just... bizarre. Like the Ar-15 being an "assault weapon" while the mini-14 is not. Same ammo, same magazine sizes, both semiautomatic, both civilian versions of military rifles, but the mini-14 has a traditional rifle stock instead of a pistol grip so it's ok apparently. Or manufacturers making otherwise identical versions of rifles with no flash suppressor to sell in NY.

Meanwhile the Australian categories are things like "semiautomatic centerfire rifle" or "semiautomatic rimfire rifle with more than ten round magazine". Simple, straightforward, makes sense.