Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by sayla0079 »

I was reading about some other places and their gun regulations such as Japan this is what is required to get a gun there.

hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:53 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:40 am
pilight wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:21 pm Lots of people think there's some easy political panacea that will prevent this from happening again but there's not. It's a complicated problem involving many deep rooted cultural beliefs. It can't be solved by a simple pen stroke.
I'm not really sure as to how pertinent this is supposed to be. The root cause for concern is stopping such acts of gun violence, and not trying to make people's lives more difficult by furthering people from guns to some capacity by use of inert regulation.

I understand both the social and political complexity of the matter, each of them in consideration complicated by the other. I don't ever hear anything on the right about the issue of school shootings; I'm mostly familiar with people taking a reactionary stance to the progressives themselves. I personally agree that there's no burden of responsibility that gun owners/advocates have for arguing on behalf of the second amendment, but that tends to be the only discourse that takes place on the matter.

Like the specific issue of school shootings shouldn't be reciprocated by an ulterior/blunt response of fundamental individualism which gun rights entail. So I mean like yeah, I think there's room to not scratch at the 2nd amendment in that case, but I guess it turns the fire up under the water or something.
One of the main arguments about these shootings from the right is its a not a gun issue but a mental health issue. As far as I know there hasn't been even a attempt to address this in any form by the right though.
Of course not, it would constitute healthcare.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Less flippantly: the vast majority of mass shooters are young men with a violent hatred of women. Which is one of the main tentpoles of the GOP's eternal Culture War, so they'll fight to the end to prevent anything that confronts or even acknowledges it.

https://www.californialawreview.org/pri ... h-forward/

And yeah there technically is a law against domestic abusers owning guns, but it's so full of loopholes and exceptions there might as well not be.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I got curious about how other countries handle gun possessions and I came across these guidelines to owning guns in Japan.

Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm AP is reporting that armed police were on the scene for at least 40 minutes before actually going in, and instead of making any attempt to save the children they just kept concerned parents from attempting it themselves.

edit: rant deleted.

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas ... 83df6e4683
Yeah, even I can't defend that. It insults the good cops out there more then anything BLM or the left can do.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As the card carrying leftist nutjob, I'm surprisingly less angry at the cops than most of the posters I've met online. I can understand how confusion and hesitation on whether to go in guns blazing in an elementary school can create a terrible delay that cost lives (and did). This was a mistake, not malice and I blame the shooter not the police.

40 minutes is a lot less time than it sounds.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

For all the "warrior cop" bravado, facing danger and saving people isn't actually their job. No matter what the slogan says, they aren't there to serve or to protect you. That's a matter of settled law. We can judge them harshly as people, as citizens, and as parents all we want, but as cops they did nothing wrong.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:22 pm As the card carrying leftist nutjob, I'm surprisingly less angry at the cops than most of the posters I've met online. I can understand how confusion and hesitation on whether to go in guns blazing in an elementary school can create a terrible delay that cost lives (and did). This was a mistake, not malice and I blame the shooter not the police.

40 minutes is a lot less time than it sounds.
Yeah, I think in my regret about not being to harsh on cops before and subsequently turning my anger at bad cops, I got swept up in the narrative against these officers.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am And yeah there technically is a law against domestic abusers owning guns, but it's so full of loopholes and exceptions there might as well not be.
I mean for instance if it was actually enforced 40% of cops would have to go unarmed.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

At the NRA convention, Ted Cruz says the reasons for mass shootings are absent fathers, declining church attendance, social media, and video games.

Basically blaming the usual scapegoats here. The video games thing has been debunked many times already since almost the entire world has video games and yet you don't have mass shootings in countries like Japan.