Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by hammerofglass »

Surprised he didn't blame furries, I thought that was their new thing.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BBally81 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am At the NRA convention, Ted Cruz says the reasons for mass shootings are absent fathers, declining church attendance, social media, and video games.

Basically blaming the usual scapegoats here. The video games thing has been debunked many times already since almost the entire world has video games and yet you don't have mass shootings in countries like Japan.
Surprised he didn't mention D&D, Heavy Metal, and "jazz cigarettes".
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

BBally81 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am At the NRA convention, Ted Cruz says the reasons for mass shootings are absent fathers, declining church attendance, social media, and video games.

Basically blaming the usual scapegoats here. The video games thing has been debunked many times already since almost the entire world has video games and yet you don't have mass shootings in countries like Japan.
Thatis BS! My father bailed before I was one, I'm not overly religious and am on social media and play videogames and I don't go and shoot people, I know better than that. Heck, I was bullied throughout my school life and I still didn't try to pull what that creature (I refused to refer to him as human) did.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:05 am

Thatis BS! My father bailed before I was one, I'm not overly religious and am on social media and play videogames and I don't go and shoot people, I know better than that. Heck, I was bullied throughout my school life and I still didn't try to pull what that creature (I refused to refer to him as human) did.
If you go to Father's Right Movement on Facebook, they have stats on the effect a father or lack of a father has. Just putting it out there.

Cruz just hits on the tired blame game on video games, religion, and family and social media 'propaganda'. It doesn't require critical thought and is easily accepted by those who need to bd told what to think.

Church attendance? Might as well say taking God out of school because at least that would be easier for conservatives to enforce. Government really cannot force anyone to go to church. Of course this totally ignores all of the other religions not Christian. They don't count.

Violence because of video games is constantly being debunked. Has been for decades now.

Social media is the only one that has some kernal of truth in it. Too many people create a echo chamber around them that is always saying yes to their own thoughts.
I got nothing to say here.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well if we're talking about Ted Cruz:

youtu.be/2BSc2dG5neY
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

As someone who grew up in gun culture and has seen what happened in the last decade or so this is something I think the people who didn't really need to understand.

youtu.be/QbXTDuwSVkk

I recommend all three parts, even if you you totally disagree with him. Especially the first one if you only know about guns from the media.

https://youtu.be/BxvxbZGjlv4
https://youtu.be/wNtxtuQxUz8
https://youtu.be/QbXTDuwSVkk (embedded)
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:40 am
If you go to Father's Right Movement on Facebook, they have stats on the effect a father or lack of a father has. Just putting it out there.

Cruz just hits on the tired blame game on video games, religion, and family and social media 'propaganda'. It doesn't require critical thought and is easily accepted by those who need to bd told what to think.

Church attendance? Might as well say taking God out of school because at least that would be easier for conservatives to enforce. Government really cannot force anyone to go to church. Of course this totally ignores all of the other religions not Christian. They don't count.

Violence because of video games is constantly being debunked. Has been for decades now.

Social media is the only one that has some kernal of truth in it. Too many people create a echo chamber around them that is always saying yes to their own thoughts.
Speaking as a religious man, the fact is that they preach the Lord and do nothing to follow their commands. Where is the efforts to help the poor, mentally ill, and disadvantaged that might benefit from Christian charity? Why are they not taking stances of non-violence and working toward encouraging peaceful conflict resolution.

As for social media, they are adamantly for cancelling celebrities but God forbid enforcing rules against hate speech or calls for violence.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:20 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:40 am

Speaking as a religious man, the fact is that they preach the Lord and do nothing to follow their commands. Where is the efforts to help the poor, mentally ill, and disadvantaged that might benefit from Christian charity? Why are they not taking stances of non-violence and working toward encouraging peaceful conflict resolution.

As for social media, they are adamantly for cancelling celebrities but God forbid enforcing rules against hate speech or calls for violence.
Have you ever read Small Gods by Terry Pratchett? In that, the god Om has lost all of his divine power because the people no longer worship him, but instead fear the many rules and edicts he issued and follow the priests speaking in his name.

Christianity as commonly understood is a religion much like this very frequently throughout its history, a series of edicts and dogma issued by an unaccountable power structure with little to no relation to the divine teachings they claim as their foundation. Several major denominations of Christianity in the US are currently in that state, and have been since arguably the founding of the country. It’s just… much more obvious now that they’ve unified politically with the Republican Party.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Ted Cruz is blaming all these things because he knows the real cause is his own party policies. It's bullshit and we all know it.

What this really drives home to me is how police are not there to protect people, but capital. Show them a running unarmed black person or a broken window and they're happy to act, but when the danger that they brag about facing every day is involved they are meek as kittens.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Meh it is very true that a lot of people have very efficient standards for what makes an adequate member of society.

Republicans of course are very efficient in understanding such standards.
..What mirror universe? ;/