Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by ProfessorDetective »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:35 am As someone who grew up in gun culture and has seen what happened in the last decade or so this is something I think the people who didn't really need to understand.

youtu.be/QbXTDuwSVkk

I recommend all three parts, even if you you totally disagree with him. Especially the first one if you only know about guns from the media.

https://youtu.be/BxvxbZGjlv4
https://youtu.be/wNtxtuQxUz8
https://youtu.be/QbXTDuwSVkk (embedded)
Yea, okay, this fella's talking some sense. His ideas are good ones and him calling out the dudebros was great.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I need to take back taking back my statement before. The fact in this instance, they went in to save their own kids but not the others means they are cowards.

However, how come people think the chief's explanation of why they couldn't go in because they didn't know where the shooter was, is 100% without merit? Who cares if they don't actually help anyone because they rushed in blindly and all got killed? Because apparently, it's not only a cop's job to put themselves at risk but to throw their lives away pointlessly.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like it's an opposite day that I am the one defending the police here. The police failed to stop the shooter but are some randos on the internet actually believing it's because they didn't WANT to? Are we to that point with anti-police sentiment that it's some sort of ideological stance that they didn't want to protect kids from being murdered?

That is bullshit.

No, it's because there was an active shooter killing people and hesitation as well as mistakes (keeping civilians out of the firing line and securing the scene versus stopping the asshole RIGHT NOW) happened.

None of the issues with America's police mean they're wanting a child massacre or uncaring about it.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

That would be because they didn’t make a mistake, they did absolutely every single thing wrong, the polar opposite of every lesson learned from Columbine to the present. Every decision made was a bad one that got that many more people killed, including SWAT assuming the shooter had ‘finished’ in the room they were locked in and they shouldn’t force entry. (911 tapes suggest no, they could have saved people in those few minutes).

Mind, I don’t think cops necessarily wanted dead kids. They just value their lives more than any number of kids.

(Mind, some are statistically likely to want school shootings to continue to aide in their political ideology spreading, but most of those would also never want to see the consequences of their beliefs in action either)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

This is one of the matters of law enforcement practice where I don't feel comfortable assessing based on article feeds and public responses. Sort of like "why don't they just call it terrorism??" but skewed a bit because it's not about optics but you also have officials denouncing the procedures taken on a directive level. They might be capitulating to optics pressure from the public, but it's now in the field of qualified speculation in the form of formal investigation.

I don't think that it takes an expert to understand that something went afoul here, but the how is more critical than the broad stroke of it.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

And to be clear, I'm not opposed to legal action being taken against the officers but no one answered my question about their reasoning, in a vacuums.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You don't want to take on the duty and responsibility to protect yourself and others at great risk to yourself when the situation calls for it? Then carry a gun, because that's what will be expected of you.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm You don't want to take on the duty and responsibility to protect yourself and others at great risk to yourself when the situation calls for it? Then carry a gun, because that's what will be expected of you.
That wasn't my point. Why should they just get themselves killed and not help anyone because they were killed?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:42 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm You don't want to take on the duty and responsibility to protect yourself and others at great risk to yourself when the situation calls for it? Then carry a gun, because that's what will be expected of you.
That wasn't my point. Why should they just get themselves killed and not help anyone because they were killed?
That's always the risk. Like I said, if you don't accept it don't carry a gun.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:20 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:42 pm
That's always the risk. Like I said, if you don't accept it don't carry a gun.
But this outrage assumes that it's a guarantee that if they went in, most or all of the kids would be saved. This isn't about my loyalty to police, it's about pragmatism.

I'm disgusted by the behavior of these officers as much as anyone else but this is what I've been talking about for the past two years, people do have reasons to not like cops but they are letting it become a prejudice that they will cling to even if police solve their issues.