Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:26 pm
He had a military grade weapon and they could have not known where exactly the shooter is, making it easy for the shooter to kill every one of them before they can even try to stop him. And I am not talking about this particular incident, I am asking why people think this is the objectively wrong thing to do in all situations.
More recent shooting, same style of rifle, killed by random citizen with a pistol:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236

AR-15 style rifles are the most common gun in the country. They're easy to make and all the patents ran out in the 70's so every manufacturer makes them. It's a varmint gun, that's it. Almost everyone who has more than one gun owns one. In the kind of ranges we're talking about the pistols the police were carrying are just as deadly.

The why is too much for a brief post, here's an IACP policy paper going over the standard active shooter response and the reasons for it: https://www.theiacp.org/resources/polic ... ve-shooter
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:45 pm
He had a military grade weapon and they could have not known where exactly the shooter is, making it easy for the shooter to kill every one of them before they can even try to stop him. And I am not talking about this particular incident, I am asking why people think this is the objectively wrong thing to do in all situations.
More recent shooting, same style of rifle, killed by random citizen with a pistol:

AR-15 style rifles are the most common gun in the country. They're easy to make and all the patents ran out in the 70's so every manufacturer makes them. It's a varmint gun, that's it. Almost everyone who has more than one gun owns one. In the kind of ranges we're talking about the pistols the police were carrying are just as deadly.

The why is too much for a brief post, here's an IACP policy paper going over the standard active shooter response and the reasons for it: https://www.theiacp.org/resources/polic ... ve-shooter
Can you bottom line it for me? I don't see how Leroy Jenkinsing in with no thought of what the consequences for the people you are trying to save, would help.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:06 pm

Can you bottom line it for me? I don't see how Leroy Jenkinsing in with no thought of what the consequences for the people you are trying to save, would help.
They don't Leroy Jenkins it. They go in methodically and carefully while actively assessing the situation, but they keep the pressure on. Resolve the situation as quickly as possible so more victims get immediate medical attention in time and fewer get killed.

It's only twenty pages and the people who wrote it know a hell of a lot more about the topic than I do, I highly recommend actually reading it over taking my word for it (rainbow butterfly). There are stats and examples and everything.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:32 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:06 pm

They don't Leroy Jenkins it. They go in methodically and carefully while actively assessing the situation, but they keep the pressure on. Resolve the situation as quickly as possible so more victims get immediate medical attention in time and fewer get killed.

It's only twenty pages and the people who wrote it know a hell of a lot more about the topic than I do, I highly recommend actually reading it over taking my word for it (rainbow butterfly). There are stats and examples and everything.
Assuming cop training is more or less the same across the country, they should be trained to not to just rush in guns ablazing. They would go in securing the area as they go in. They would be also trained in not assuming there would bd just one shooter either.

The question is how they would act once they got to the room where the shooter was. There would or should be at least one officer outside to cover the windows in case of an escape though there and also maybe a possible shot.

I would have assumed as basic as I described it, would be known even if going by what is shown on TV.

They ain't going in like Stormtroopers shooting everywhere by the shooter. It woukd be methodical.

But that didn't happen of course.
I got nothing to say here.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:26 pm He had a military grade weapon and they could have not known where exactly the shooter is, making it easy for the shooter to kill every one of them before they can even try to stop him. And I am not talking about this particular incident, I am asking why people think this is the objectively wrong thing to do in all situations.
The idea of police that is sold to people is that they exist to protect us. If they cannot or will not do that they're just a way for the rich to opress us with our own money. If they are not willing to risk life and limb for the sake of others they ought not to exist at all.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Draco Dracul wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 pm The idea of police that is sold to people is that they exist to protect us. If they cannot or will not do that they're just a way for the rich to opress us with our own money.
You're only catching on now?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:01 pm You're only catching on now?
I've been a police abolitionist for at least 18 months.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

New shooting in Tulsa. 35-40 y.o. guy shot up a hospital.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Weak minds tend to follow ruts. Monkey see or hear, monkey do.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The public by design can only do so much with the police. They're not purposed as humanitarian defenders, but civic security. The federal government dictates that each person is afforded civic rights, and the cops have humanitarian purpose by that protocol, but the local levels prerogative will have one ear tuned to stuff interfering with buildings on streets.
..What mirror universe?