Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:51 pm
I think they chose the Gorn because they look like monsters. Which is so opposite to Gene's vision its unreal. But, lol, I think STD and Picard has already shown us what the modern writers think of Gene's vision.
A deep and abiding respect for a utopian future and optimism in the face of advertise?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:54 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:51 pm
I think they chose the Gorn because they look like monsters. Which is so opposite to Gene's vision its unreal. But, lol, I think STD and Picard has already shown us what the modern writers think of Gene's vision.
A deep and abiding respect for a utopian future and optimism in the face of advertise?
I often wonder whether you are trolling me and I wonder again. You think ''No Romulans Allowed'' signs is Gene's vision? You think open racism is Gene's vision? You think abuse and alcoholism is Gene's vision?
Deep and abiding respect for an utopian future? What fucking show are you watching because it isn't this one.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:57 pmI often wonder whether you are trolling me and I wonder again. You think ''No Romulans Allowed'' signs is Gene's vision? You think open racism is Gene's vision? You think abuse and alcoholism is Gene's vision?
Deep and abiding respect for an utopian future? What fucking show are you watching because it isn't this one.
Romulans, who represent Communist China and exist for the purpose of contrasting to the more utopian federation? Romulans who, in Star Trek: Discovery, are shown to have eventually rejoined the Vulcans and become a peaceful yet passionate people who are one of the biggest allies of our heroes?

Picard takes place in the former Neutral Zone (Aka THE FRONTIER) so that it can deal with all of the nasty issues that are otherwise solved in the Federation. This is why TOS took place there in the first place because showing too much of Earth would undermine the idea we'd moved on. The adventure was "out there."

Mind you, Raffi smoking weed is something I feel like people are acting like she was a hardcore heroin addict for.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Re: Spock Amok

I give this episode a lot of credit for being about hijinks.

While it shouldn’t be something worth commenting on, I do really appreciate the handling of Nurse Chapel and sexuality in this episode that still doesn’t get enough attention in the 21st century. Specifically, that she is someone who can and does pursue completely physical relationships that she doesn’t to complicate with romance. She’s also causally revealed to be bi.

Too often women who are sexually active and not interested in relationships are shown to be damaged even when protagonists like Dex from Stumptown or just waiting for the right guy. Here, it seems to be shown with the same light touch a male character would be upon finding out their relationship is too clingy.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:14 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:57 pmI often wonder whether you are trolling me and I wonder again. You think ''No Romulans Allowed'' signs is Gene's vision? You think open racism is Gene's vision? You think abuse and alcoholism is Gene's vision?
Romulans, who represent Communist China and exist for the purpose of contrasting to the more utopian federation? Romulans who, in Star Trek: Discovery, are shown to have eventually rejoined the Vulcans and become a peaceful yet passionate people who are one of the biggest allies of our heroes?

Picard takes place in the former Neutral Zone (Aka THE FRONTIER) so that it can deal with all of the nasty issues that are otherwise solved in the Federation. This is why TOS took place there in the first place because showing too much of Earth would undermine the idea we'd moved on. The adventure was "out there."

Mind you, Raffi smoking weed is something I feel like people are acting like she was a hardcore heroin addict for.
When was it decided that the Romulans represent communist China given how that are clearly an expy of Ancient Rome? Is that another New Trek retcon?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 am When was it decided that the Romulans represent communist China given how that are clearly an expy of Ancient Rome? Is that another New Trek retcon?
The Klingons also were Nazis and Mongols as well as the Soviets too.

You can be multiple things but Gene, unfortunately, envisioned the Romulans as inscrutable and divided along China (Romulan) and Tawain (Vulcan) lines. His view of them was one was preservers of traditional culture and the other a radical hostile offshoot that had fought the Federation before to a stalemate (Korea).
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

This was a good release episode from the high tensions of the previous. Xenomorph Gorn aside, I think this is the best of the live action series. Still enjoying Lower Decks and Prodigy more, but I'm loving it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:00 pm This was a good release episode from the high tensions of the previous. Xenomorph Gorn aside, I think this is the best of the live action series. Still enjoying Lower Decks and Prodigy more, but I'm loving it.
The most recent one is a body swap comedy episode and I very much enjoyed it. It actually does a good job with T'Pring. You kind of feel bad that they fall out in Amok Time.

Also, the wacky hijinks the Ensigns get up to is the closest thing to the real military that Star Trek has ever shown according to my friends.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Episode 5:
This episode highlights a big issue with the show, namely the dialogue is just bad. It doesn't feel natural at all, it's like the writers decided to give the absolute minimum effort into writing. The series desperately needs new writers and the studio to stop micromanaging, but that's not gonna happen.
While it's nice that there's a more light hearted episode (though I think for the fifth episode is too soon), the characters aren't fleshed out enough and very little of importance is revealed during this episode.

The only thing worse than the dialogue is the editing. Each scene cuts off so fast, it feels like it was made for people with serious ADD, I had to replay some of the scenes, since stuff was happening too fast. Though eventually this wasn't necessary, since I realized that not much happens in the episode.

It's something of a poor decision to make a body swap joke, when both the actors give an equally flat performance, see, that's the whole point of a body swap of a joke: each actor imitates the other. And it's not like all actors that portrayed Vulcans did it the same. Both Nimoy and Lenard portrayed Vulcans, and their performances are distinct enough that you can tell who is who.

And how is the scene where Spock (in T'Pring's body) knocking out that Vulcan "criminal" with a punch supposed to be funny? "Perhaps we should keep the details of how exactly we captured Barjan between us"...there were 5 Vulcans (and one Andorian) right next to you, who saw what you did. Are you also gonna tell them to keep the incident a secret? Besides, didn't Nimoy make a point that a nerve pinch would be more in line with a Vulcan than punching?

Since it's not offensively bad, just a waste of time, I can't and won't give it more than 4/10.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Mabus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:18 pm Besides, didn't Nimoy make a point that a nerve pinch would be more in line with a Vulcan than punching?
If I recall it was a karate chop to the neck that he objected to.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu