VOY: Lineage

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: VOY: Lineage

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:35 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:50 pm I think after this episode, they probably should have done stuff so that Torress can't mess with the doctor like this or his interest. She brain wash him for self serving reasons, and also ruin his family life because she thought it was 'realistic' heck if that what she thinks a realistic family is, maybe she shouldn't be allow to keep the child.
I dunno, kind of makes sense in retrospect now that we know her relationship with her own parents.
Just because it make sense doesn't mean it behavior that should be allow.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:39 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:24 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm All I could think of when Chuck noted that there are no counsellors on Voyager is: Starfleet's track record up until this point is Troi and Ezri. Torres would probably end up having her daughter aborted after seeking help from them.

Anyway, this is why designer babies is a dumb idea that should always be illegal.
''I don't like the ridges on my baby's forehead'' can easily transpose to -
''I don't like my baby being black''
''I don't like my baby being this sex''
''I don't like my baby being an inch too short''
''I don't like my baby having brown eyes when his sister has blue.''

That's how this works. Human beings as fashion. Human beings as objects. Or at worst, ethnic cleansing or gendercide. Human beings are not smart enough or mature enough to handle this power.
Only one of those is a problem. I see no problem allowing us to edit a bunch of cells, which are not yet anything at all, to be a better eventual fit with the parents. Editing ethnicity is more problematic, simply because ethnic identities are a more complex historical paradigm.
Not only that, but to edit one ethnicity suggest there something wrong with it.
No more than editing sex or any of those other characteristics. Making your kids girls would definitely suggest you think something is wrong with boys.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Numerous civilizations throughout history have killed their female offspring because having a male is preferable. Including China up until the end of the one child rule. Why kill when you can engineer?
Humans are not mature enough for this tech.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:24 pm Numerous civilizations throughout history have killed their female offspring because having a male is preferable. Including China up until the end of the one child rule. Why kill when you can engineer?
I dunno, if a hypothetical future culture can reliably engineer for height I think it could also move past the need for there to be men or women involved in the reproductive process.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

TGLS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:01 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:24 pm Numerous civilizations throughout history have killed their female offspring because having a male is preferable. Including China up until the end of the one child rule. Why kill when you can engineer?
I dunno, if a hypothetical future culture can reliably engineer for height I think it could also move past the need for there to be men or women involved in the reproductive process.
Given the pace of progress in artificial womb research, Gen Z may well be the first generation where cis men can be pregnant.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Until artificial eggs and sperm can be produced, men and women will continue to be necessary for reproduction. If that ever happens the offspring will no longer be human.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:29 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:01 pm
Given the pace of progress in artificial womb research, Gen Z may well be the first generation where cis men can be pregnant.
Cis men? I must be severely lacking in imagination here because I cannot see how you would get a womb into a man without taking his existing plumbing out. At which point, he's not cis. And how is the baby getting out? Is it exclusively C-section or are we cutting something off to put on a vagina as well? At which point, he's not cis. What about feeding? Would breasts grow (again, I cannot see any cis man consenting to that) or are we talking baby formula? That stuff that even existing women cannot get hold of?
Why would any man want to consent to two major operations, both to put in the womb and to provide an exit, when he can just get his wife to it? For transwomen this is the holy grail, for women with damaged wombs this is the holy grail. For anyone else? Nah. Not seeing it.

I'm also not convinced that women would even want their man to be pregnant. That's a lot of social conditioning on what is masculine or feminine to get past there.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Artificial wombs might be the more realistic option than trying to rearrange a man's stomach to take on a baby. It would also be an option instead of an abortion. Taking the fetus from a unwilling mother to be, to a artificial womb paid by the father or even someone else like the family.

Oh and clearspira, almost all pregnant people with the XY gene will have to get a C section. Simple reason, the hips.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

pilight wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:28 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm All I could think of when Chuck noted that there are no counsellors on Voyager is: Starfleet's track record up until this point is Troi and Ezri. Torres would probably end up having her daughter aborted after seeking help from them.

Anyway, this is why designer babies is a dumb idea that should always be illegal.

That's how this works. Human beings as fashion. Human beings as objects. Or at worst, ethnic cleansing or gendercide. Human beings are not smart enough or mature enough to handle this power.
Only one of those is a problem. I see no problem allowing us to edit a bunch of cells, which are not yet anything at all, to be a better eventual fit with the parents. Editing ethnicity is more problematic, simply because ethnic identities are a more complex historical paradigm.
No more than editing sex or any of those other characteristics. Making your kids girls would definitely suggest you think something is wrong with boys.
Umm no, the parents really shouldn't be allow to alter the kids sex, or any characteristics. Even if editing like that at all was perfectly okay, that needs to be something the child in question decide.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 am
pilight wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Umm no, the parents really shouldn't be allow to alter the kids sex, or any characteristics. Even if editing like that at all was perfectly okay, that needs to be something the child in question decide.
Sounds like a great way to give your kids dysphoria.