Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Megabob452
Redshirt

Re: Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

Post by Megabob452 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: I've personally grown to hate the "Show don't tell" mentality.
Okay, I'll bite. What makes "show, don't tell" a bad thing?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Megabob452 wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote: I've personally grown to hate the "Show don't tell" mentality.
Okay, I'll bite. What makes "show, don't tell" a bad thing?
This might just be me but... do you know those detective movies/TV shows were we start with the murder being shown? sometimes even the killer? I'd rather the detectives learned how the killer did it during the show, maybe even have multiple versions? Maybe start with a noir narration or captains log like thing. Hell, even the old but goodie "Oh Mr. Holmes, you must help me". Then you continue with the detectives going to the scene, then maybe you show several versions of the crime over the course of the movie in place of having the detectives tell us what happened since we already saw it at the beginning?

And that's just detective stories. There isn't a visual medium out there were telling can't be as effective as showing if not more so, when done right that is.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Frankly, my issues with Batman V Superman most come down to Snyder's over reverence of "Show don't Tell".

And in other cases is the issue of Flashbacks, Flashbacks can be good and effective, but so many I've seen feel unneeded, like they want through the effort to film entirely separate scene rather then just tell us what happened because they wanted to be perceived as showing not telling.

Meanwhile we didn't need to see The Emperor in A New Hope.
Call me KuudereKun
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

"Show don't tell" is not about flashbacks; to quote a famous theater critic, "You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!".

As with all tropes, it's about context. The opening frame of Star Wars is a great 'Show don't tell' where you see the might of the empire against the tiny rebel ship... which occurs immediately after the famous scrolling text which tells instead of showing. Both are appropriate for their respective purposes.
Jokie155
Redshirt

Post by Jokie155 »

I'm about ready to just quit watching the reviews after yelling so many expletives at Part 3 for just how completely unfunny and unwanted the 'in character' bits got. Really...

Turns out I paused right before pulling the Weinstein card, and calling BioWare 'fucking assholes'. So guess what, the gloves are off!

I fucking hate the fucking in character crap. It is actually a burden to any potential review material, and if it's meant to steer away from making it just a lets play, it just failed in a catastrophic way.

If this is how the review 'writing' is going to be for all future games, I'm flat out calling it quits on anything in that category at all.
Last edited by Jokie155 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Between the Dominion and Qunari it seems Plato's Utopia can be used in both science fiction and fantasy.

Also couldn't he recreate Tim on pc using the save generator?

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage2/mods/2251/?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

The issue Chuck had with the Dialogue Wheel in DAI, I don't know why but I didn't have that problem, in fact of all the DW's in BioWare I found DAI's to be the overall best. I especially like how it would also give player even more options then just the usual and the tone options while keeping the things that worked like changing the middle option from neutral to humorous. But that's just.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Jokie155 wrote:I'm about ready to just quit watching the reviews after yelling so many expletives at Part 3 for just how completely unfunny and unwanted the 'in character' bits got. Really...
Have you not watched any of the other game reviews he's done for the big Bioware RPGs? They all follow a character narrative. I like it.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Does anyone else kind of wish that Crazy!Janeway was an actual character in the game? Or any game, for that matter?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Jokie155 wrote:I'm about ready to just quit watching the reviews after yelling so many expletives at Part 3 for just how completely unfunny and unwanted the 'in character' bits got. Really...

Turns out I paused right before pulling the Weinstein card, and calling BioWare 'fucking assholes'. So guess what, the gloves are off!

I fucking hate the fucking in character crap. It is actually a burden to any potential review material, and if it's meant to steer away from making it just a lets play, it just failed in a catastrophic way.

If this is how the review 'writing' is going to be for all future games, I'm flat out calling it quits on anything in that category at all.
Thanks. Nice to know that people hate watching this review as much as I hate doing it.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope