"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: "Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by Draco Dracul »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:53 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:50 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:52 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:56 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:43 am Birth control bans. Same-sex marriage bans. Erosion of various personal freedoms and human rights under the law.
I expect that they'll overturn brown v. Board.
That I doubt. My interracial marriage thing was a joke. I highly doubt the Supreme Court will go that far.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

My fucking senator is calling for Brown v. Board, you know because anti-abortion was slapped together as a key talking point when de jure segregation had become too unpopular:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NewsWire_US/ ... ttcTg&s=19
My joke is because one of Supreme Court Justices who voted to repeal Roe is a black man in an interracial marriage. Clerence Thomas.

He is not going to vote against himself. Assuming they have a good marriage.
Thomas has a long history of stripping civil rights from black people. There is no reason why this would be any different.
He is in a interracial marriage. Do you really think he would ban interracial marriage when he is in one himself?
Yes.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like people keep assuming the Republicans can't REALLY believe in all of this ideology and must be doing it for some secret master plan.

No, they will.

Thomas didn't mention interracial marriage but everyone else fucking did.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Abortion kills, Interracial marriage doesn't. This is why it is a deeply layered and controversial subject. You can be for and against simultaneously depending on the circumstances of the abortion. It cuts through all races, ages and sexes because of this.

You would have to appeal to a completely different demo to get rid of Interracial marriage because there is literally no argument against it beyond "I'm a racist cock".

In other words, it ain't happening. Not today, not tommorow. Never.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:32 am In an era of 99% effective contraception I do not think that there is an excuse for most abortions. Just my opinion.
99% effective contraception means on average one pregnancy per 4000 sexual encounters, assuming each failure has a 2.5% chance of resulting in pregnancy. Given the number of women in the US and the frequency of their sexual activity, that results in millions of unwanted pregnancies every year even with contraception.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:56 pm You would have to appeal to a completely different demo to get rid of Interracial marriage because there is literally no argument against it beyond "I'm a racist cock".

In other words, it ain't happening. Not today, not tommorow. Never.
That's the thing about the Supreme court, they aren't elected. It could be more than a decade before there is another seat up for grabs, what's popular doesn't actual matter. The idea that women should be able to get an abortion at any time for any reason recently became the majority opinion in the US, and there isn't a single state in the country where a total ban on abortion has more than 30 approval.

It doesn't matter that segregation is unpopular, the laws are still on the books, that mean you get the Supreme court to overturn Loving v. Virginia and Brown v. Board and they don't actually have to campaign on them.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Interracial marriage isn't protected by the Constitution. Nor is the age of consent - laws could be passed which sets the age of consent to sixty, with anyone having sex with a person younger than that declared a statutory rapist.

It would be absurd, abhorrent, and abominable. It's not unconstitutional.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:13 pm Interracial marriage isn't protected by the Constitution. Nor is the age of consent - laws could be passed which sets the age of consent to sixty, with anyone having sex with a person younger than that declared a statutory rapist.

It would be absurd, abhorrent, and abominable. It's not unconstitutional.
Sounds like we need a new constitution.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That's why we have the ability to make Amendments!
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I don't think you could get a 38 state majority for gay marriage, and even if you could I think there'd be at least 23 states who would refuse to ratify in hopes of getting XYZ as well.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu