Problem with Kids Media

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Problem with Kids Media

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:12 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:55 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:27 pm I mean, The Bad Guys is made for teenagers and adults who already understand moral complexity and the storytelling tropes it's playing with. MLP is presenting Entry Level Conflict Resolution to actual kindergartners. Walk before you run and all that.
It's weird how more and more people insist adults should give in to their most violent, spiteful impulses to stop fascism but we teach kids that violence and revenge is never the answer.
Violence often is the answer in those stories. To use your above example, they didn't just stand by and let the Decepticons murder them out of politeness.
just don't get why you say we shouldn't teach kids a putative message because they might start fighting on the playground but we're a okay with encouraging adults to hunt down and murder Trump supporters.

And for non villains, there is still the problem of teaching kids to be doormats who forgive toxic individuals because they are "friends".
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Where on Earth do you see this stuff? I haven't seen it anywhere. I've seen a lot of stuff between Trump supporters encouraging each other to lynch the rest of us from lampposts though.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am Where on Earth do you see this stuff? I haven't seen it anywhere. I've seen a lot of stuff between Trump supporters encouraging each other to lynch the rest of us from lampposts though.
Maybe not murder but lots of leftists say it's okay to assault right wingers, like the Nazi punching discourse. My point is, if you are consistent, why don't you also want to teach kids to bash the fash?

And there is still my second point.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:00 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am Where on Earth do you see this stuff? I haven't seen it anywhere. I've seen a lot of stuff between Trump supporters encouraging each other to lynch the rest of us from lampposts though.
Maybe not murder but lots of leftists say it's okay to assault right wingers, like the Nazi punching discourse. My point is, if you are consistent, why don't you also want to teach kids to bash the fash?

Violence in TV is entertainment, and to a lot of characters it's a fun game where as long as you don't actually die you'll be fine. Violence in real life is blood and pain and terror and weeping and emotional trauma that effects the rest of your life decades after the wounds are healed. It's not something anybody who knows what they're talking about wants for their children.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Violence in TV is entertainment, and to a lot of characters it's a fun game where as long as you don't actually die you'll be fine. Violence in real life is blood and pain and terror and weeping and emotional trauma that effects the rest of your life decades after the wounds are healed. It's not something anybody who knows what they're talking about wants for their children.

Okay, let's focus on the point about these shows putting a gun to kids heads and telling them they have to forgive toxic individuals.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Okay, let's focus on the point about these shows putting a gun to kids heads and telling them they have to forgive toxic individuals.
Maybe you should be actually parenting your kids and teaching them how to navigate these complex interactions instead of hoping they pick up the right lessons from television.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Maybe you should be actually parenting your kids and teaching them how to navigate these complex interactions instead of hoping they pick up the right lessons from television.
to an extent, sure but then, what's the point the show teaching morals?

And from a Watsonian perspective, I still cannot suspend disbelief that literally everyone in the universe forgives all these transgressions.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm And from a Watsonian perspective, I still cannot suspend disbelief that literally everyone in the universe forgives all these transgressions.
You ever see BoJack Horseman? That's a lot of what that show is about, focusing on celebrity culture specifically. But to steal a line from the finale: "People have short memories. It's the best and worst thing about people."
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:57 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm And from a Watsonian perspective, I still cannot suspend disbelief that literally everyone in the universe forgives all these transgressions.
You ever see BoJack Horseman? That's a lot of what that show is about, focusing on celebrity culture specifically. But to steal a line from the finale: "People have short memories. It's the best and worst thing about people."
Not sure how that applies to shows like MLP, where forgiveness and redemption are tossed around willy nilly, even when they shouldn't be.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:57 pm
Not sure how that applies to shows like MLP, where forgiveness and redemption are tossed around willy nilly, even when they shouldn't be.
That show has the same target demographic as Sesame Street and is literally titled Friendship Is Magic, what the fuck do you want?