New Vegas

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: New Vegas

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fianna wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:38 pm Why's it called New Vegas? You'd think the New _____ name would be used by other settlements founded by refugees from destroyed cities. But as the one city not wrecked by the bombs, you'd think Las Vegas would keep its old name.
To be fair, it was a shantytown full of cannibals, tribals, and bandits (+1 Vault) due to House being in a coma for a century and a half.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am The weirdest moment I ever had in a video game was where I contemplated the morality of killing Legate Lanius to help the Legion dissolve into chaos quicker or leaving him alive to minimize social breakdown. I may overthink Fallout: NewVegas.
Leaving him alive to minimize social breakdown? I'd say him remaining alive does far more harm. Short term the disintegration may be more violent, but like Ebola, the Legion would burn itself out quicker without him.

Lanius may love his killing, but he's still too much of a head to leave on the body.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Honestly don't know how the legion stood a chance, I single handedly slaughtered Ceasar, all his legates, his entire camp, and every legion camp in the Mojave
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean he was extremely against changing his army tactics while the NCR had no problem teaching it soldier ways to counter the Legion.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

drewder wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:32 pm Honestly don't know how the legion stood a chance, I single handedly slaughtered Ceasar, all his legates, his entire camp, and every legion camp in the Mojave
Well he had a nuclear bomb, a chemical weapon, and plans to otherwise fuck with NCR without directly engaging them. Up to and including killing their President.

Honestly, Caesar's army sucks but his saboteurs are top notch.

Even then, Lonesome Road says that Caesar only stood a chance because you accidentally nuked the Divide that was the NCR's original supply lane.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

As I understand it the legion were supposed to be a more nuanced faction but Obsidian ran out of time and most of their development got left on the cutting room floor. I'd like to be able to play that version of the game. As it is most players play legion once and then never again because they're just the psychopath faction. The sad part is that Caesar is probably the most interesting character in the game.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That beasthea for you.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

drewder wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 am As I understand it the legion were supposed to be a more nuanced faction but Obsidian ran out of time and most of their development got left on the cutting room floor. I'd like to be able to play that version of the game. As it is most players play legion once and then never again because they're just the psychopath faction. The sad part is that Caesar is probably the most interesting character in the game.
It's a bit more nuanced (ba da ching) than that as the Legion was never meant to be anything but a bunch of rapist murdering slavers but you would be able to find out more about them as well as hear how their society functioned with more quests. Obsidian said they objected to the Fallout 3 idea that you couldn't join the Enclave even if they were genocidal psychopaths.

It's just that few people ever wanted to join the Legion because their escapist apocalypse fantasy doesn't include wanting to join a misogynist warlord.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

drewder wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 amThe sad part is that Caesar is probably the most interesting character in the game.
No, he's just a guy who read about of philosophy and then applied his theories to life assuming they'd overlap one for one.

He, like the Master in FO1, are ideologues, and the heart of the Fallout setting is anti-ideological seeking a world to be freed from the sins of the past. Even Josh Sawyer's antagonism towards the NCR stems from the fact that the NCR is just becoming America all over again.

The most interesting one is Joshua Graham and we didn't get enough of him due to being in much a lukewarm DLC.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 pmObsidian said they objected to the Fallout 3 idea that you couldn't join the Enclave even if they were genocidal psychopaths.

It's just that few people ever wanted to join the Legion because their escapist apocalypse fantasy doesn't include wanting to join a misogynist warlord.
A lot about the Legion didn't make it into the game, but in essence you're correct.

Do keep in mind too that Obsidian, at least back 10 years ago, very much wanted the spirit of RPGs to be in Fallout NV and allow room for player choice, not lolz! and chosen one pandering to players that Bethesda prefers that they call roleplaying since Oblivion.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Are we getting any more fallout?