Ent: The Breach

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: Ent: The Breach

Post by Fianna »

Aren't patients normally entitled to refuse treatment? Assuming they're adults, and haven't been judged mentally incompetent, they can refuse even life-saving medical treatment if they so choose. That's what "Do Not Resuscitate" forms are about.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

In some places, patients only have the right to refuse life-saving treatment until they lose consciousness, at which point the doctors move in. I suspect it's a legal issue, since people who have properly-filed DNRs seem not to have such problems.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:48 am In some places, patients only have the right to refuse life-saving treatment until they lose consciousness, at which point the doctors move in. I suspect it's a legal issue, since people who have properly-filed DNRs seem not to have such problems.
I was going to say the same thing. DNR is taken seriously due to legal ramifications.

I never investigated where a doctor could override a patient's wishes once unconscious, (short of convincing the family to step in of course) can be done without legal ramifications either.
I got nothing to say here.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

There might be cases where the doctor could say, "Yes, while they were conscious, the patient refused treatment, but them falling unconscious means their condition has changed. Just because they refused treatment under one set of conditions doesn't necessarily mean they'd refuse treatment under any and all conditions. If we could ask them about it now, they might give us a different answer."
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

And again, I'm pretty sure those arguments are just wallpaper rationalizations to avoid having to say the real reasons: doctors can be held legally accountable if they let someone die without an official piece of paper saying they're allowed to do nothing, and doctors always feel they know best.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984