Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Durandal_1707 »

That's basically what Discovery's last two seasons have been.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yes but it can never fully be that due to it starting in tos era
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The problem isn't time period of the setting, the problem is that good stories aren't being told.

I recently caught part of Star Trek: Insurrection showing at my local game store, and I was reminded of what an absolutely terrible story it was, fully of 'action' and explosions but not of sensible actors or thoughtful exploration of philosophical issues.

I am rather of the opinion that the Golden Age of TNG was mostly a fluke, in the sense that the people in charge of the franchise have no idea why it was so beloved or how to reproduce it.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Your not wrong, there honestly.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 pm The problem isn't time period of the setting, the problem is that good stories aren't being told.

I recently caught part of Star Trek: Insurrection showing at my local game store, and I was reminded of what an absolutely terrible story it was, fully of 'action' and explosions but not of sensible actors or thoughtful exploration of philosophical issues.

I am rather of the opinion that the Golden Age of TNG was mostly a fluke, in the sense that the people in charge of the franchise have no idea why it was so beloved or how to reproduce it.
I think this would follow if the same people were in charge of the franchise today, but obviously it's different people. I agree that the people in charge of it today have no idea how to reproduce it, although in "fairness" to them (well, sort of, sort of not) I don't think they're trying to reproduce it, and the goals of "television" today are pretty different from those of the 1980s.

Did the people running the franchise in the mid to late 90s - some of whom were the same people as TNG - understand it and know how to reproduce it? I'd say not completely, but they got a heck of a lot closer than we are seeing today (though again, today they are ultimately trying to do something quite different).

Voyager, for instance, certainly wasn't as consistently good as TNG, but when they did hit the right marks it was pretty close. DS9 was great, but in its own way. Enterprise was a mixed bag, but I am overall more positive about it than most people on this board. Again, on its own it wasn't stupendous, but if we're comparing it to something like Strange New Worlds vs. TNG I think it hits more marks right.

I think it's ironic that you mention Insurrection because while I agree it's a lousy film, I always thought that in spirit or style it felt closer to TNG than any of the other films. I disagree that Insurrection was nothing but action and explosions, though it did have some of those. I think overall Insurrection was a poor film because in part precisely because it slowed down in a way that the series often did but which doesn't work for film. To me it always felt like a lower quality two-parter, something reminiscent of Gambit from season 7.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Voyager, as good as TNG? Maybe the poorer early seasons of TNG, at most.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Frustration wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:49 pm Voyager, as good as TNG?
That's not what was said. A superior being as you, should be able to comprehend what he reads.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 pm The problem isn't time period of the setting, the problem is that good stories aren't being told.

TNG and TOS are the only two shows out of eleven to ever break out into our cultural zeitgeist. I think that says a lot about the general standard of Trek over the years. Although I suppose you could say that its two and a half shows if you include Jeri Ryan's breasts.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 pm

TNG and TOS are the only two shows out of eleven to ever break out into our cultural zeitgeist. I think that says a lot about the general standard of Trek over the years. Although I suppose you could say that its two and a half shows if you include Jeri Ryan's breasts.
I wouldn't count the other series's lack of being in the cultural zeitgeist against them. There are plenty of other shows good and bad that are part of that. Jersey Shore or Keeping up with Kardashians?

I don't think TNG is a fluke in its success. The first two seasons sucked to be sure, but they were restricted by Gene's idealogy bullshit. Once they were able to break away from it, seems like they knew what to do.

There was just too much going for TNG to be a fluke.
I got nothing to say here.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Frustration wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:49 pm Voyager, as good as TNG? Maybe the poorer early seasons of TNG, at most.
I said, "Voyager, for instance, certainly wasn't as consistently good as TNG, but when they did hit the right marks it was pretty close."

Generally, Voyager was worse than TNG, often much worse (though I think the worst of Voyager is probably better than much of season 1 TNG), but some of the highlights were nearly as good or in a few cases as good as anything TNG had. For example, Blink of an Eye is probably not quite up there with the best of TNG's "pure sci-fi" corpus, but it's close. Living Witness is probably on the list of the best episodes from any of the series. Bride of Chaotica is absolutely as good as any of TNG's "comic relief" episodes. I actually think that Equinox part 2 is a bit of a let down, but part 1 is strong. I significantly differ with the episode in its conclusion, but Death Wish handles the philosophical debate of the issue about as well as Measure of a Man (the conclusion of which I also don't agree with, at least not entirely). I don't like Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy as much as many people, but it's widely considered quite good. I'd roughly put Message in a Bottle in the same sort of box as episodes like TNG's Timescape or The Next Phase, but better.

I don't think Voyager has anything to compare with Darmok. I don't think it has anything to compare to The Inner Light. Although a lot of people rate Scorpion very highly, I don't think it remotely compares to Best of Both Worlds or Redemption in terms of those really top tier two part episodes.

TNG was better, but Voyager was able to reach average TNG quality sometimes, and in a few cases even to come close to the best of TNG.