Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

Post by Steve »

If DA:I had used the combat system from DA2 (which is the best thing about DA2 IMHO) it would have been the best game in the series hands down.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

It's been a while since I played both, but what exactly was different about DA2's combat system from Inquisition? I don't recall.
cambiata
Redshirt

Post by cambiata »

Rodan56 wrote:It's been a while since I played both, but what exactly was different about DA2's combat system from Inquisition? I don't recall.
DA2 is by far the best DA combat system. In general terms: The combat has tons of visual interest and is simply fun to play. Probably the biggest improvement over the other DA games is that when you started a melee action against an enemy, the game got you to your assailant, usually with some nice visual flare. In contrast, when you play DA:I as melee, you spend half of all fights running after targets who can back up infinitely (meaning only ranged can hit them). Melee rogue is perhaps the most enjoyable class in DA2. In DAI it's an unplayable class. I switched every one of my rogues to archers. I had to.

Mind you, there are a couple of ground closers for melee, but not nearly enough of them - and when those skills are on cooldown you just go back to the "run after 'em" mode until the cooldown is over.

The melee left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't even tried any warrior classes yet. Though I've been told Berserker is fun.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Rodan56 wrote:It's been a while since I played both, but what exactly was different about DA2's combat system from Inquisition? I don't recall.
DA2's system was a little more hotkeyed for action and controllers, and many of the spells and effects were instant cast. It also vastly improved the thief classes by giving them leaps and teleports. It also trimmed down the redundant magic trees quite a bit. 2 also had probably the best unique classes for characters.

You lost out on the glory of setting oil on the ground and setting it on fire, but other than that it was just much more combat oriented and fluid.

DA:I while staying more combat oriented, returns to the "freeze time to select a spell and target it" method, especially when it comes to zapping demon portals which you're expected to do the entire game constantly. It has lots more mobility options. Also Inquisition basically loses the tactics aspect entirely and it just turns into brute forcing whoever you're controlling to kill everything because the AI is much, much worse.

If we could get all three games in one package It'd be amazing. Inquisition's fun and mobility options (every class has at least 1, with Combat Roll/Grappling Chain, Rogue's Hook and Tackle and Fallback Plan for Artificer and Mage's Fade Step), along with DA2's tactics system and personalized character specializations (as well as bonuses based on whom you're friends with/romanced), and Origin's leveling system and that vast amout of options. Especially if it was as easy to reset skill points as it is in Inquisition.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

cambiata wrote:In contrast, when you play DA:I as melee, you spend half of all fights running after targets who can back up infinitely (meaning only ranged can hit them). Melee rogue is perhaps the most enjoyable class in DA2. In DAI it's an unplayable class. I switched every one of my rogues to archers. I had to.
I played an Assassin spec rogue in both games, it's not quite as broken in DAI as it is in DA2 but it'll still drop anything short of a dragon ridiculously fast with knives. You just have to use the movement abilities a bit more (and rogues are very fast in DAI).
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

mathewgsmith wrote:
cambiata wrote:In contrast, when you play DA:I as melee, you spend half of all fights running after targets who can back up infinitely (meaning only ranged can hit them). Melee rogue is perhaps the most enjoyable class in DA2. In DAI it's an unplayable class. I switched every one of my rogues to archers. I had to.
I played an Assassin spec rogue in both games, it's not quite as broken in DAI as it is in DA2 but it'll still drop anything short of a dragon ridiculously fast with knives. You just have to use the movement abilities a bit more (and rogues are very fast in DAI).
Knight-Enchanter, on the other hand, can be pretty awesome. Also, you get a lightsaber, and the ability to telefrag opponents.

If/when Chuck plays DA:I, he should totally roll Knight-Enchanter. It's absolutely not a Circle-approved version of the Arcane Warrior, at all, no sir-ee.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"The X-Box looks like it was designed by an engineer."

Huh, maybe that's why I like it best out of all the consoles other than the full-sized PS2. Never really understood why people seem to find it ugly. I mean, it's exactly what it says on the tin. ;)

Still, I can never get the hang of FPS or even TPS gaming using a controller - I'm mouse and keyboard all the way.

I think it's time for Chuck to join and stop being a dirty console gaming peasant. :p
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Admiral X wrote:I think it's time for Chuck to join and stop being a dirty console gaming peasant. :p
I've lost dexterity in my left hand since the accident, so controllers are easier. Hence why Acts 2 and 3 will be in casual mode.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Oh, sorry man, I guess I didn't even realize there'd been an accident. :oops:

Just kinda giving a bit of a ribbing, a bit like Army vs. Air Force. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Admiral X wrote:Oh, sorry man, I guess I didn't even realize there'd been an accident. :oops:

Just kinda giving a bit of a ribbing, a bit like Army vs. Air Force. ;)
You have not heard the bards tell the tale? Of how I boldly and bravely... tripped over a bowling ball in the Home Depot parking lot?

But yeah, PC doesn't work as well as I'd like any more. The Razer keypad has helped make a difference, but even with that you have to drop one level in difficulty to have a fighting chance. So DA:I is right back to console when the time comes.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope