Salman Rushdie Stabbed in New York

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Salman Rushdie Stabbed in New York

Post by hammerofglass »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:04 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 am
Not all Muslims are terrorists. Most aren't in fact. But that doesn't change the fact that if you are going to be murdered for religious reasons in 2022, chances are, its going to be a Muslim doing it and thus a stereotype is born.

Do you see how this works?
I don't know the UK numbers, but if you're murdered in the US for religious reasons it's most likely a Christian. We've got violent Dominionists coming out of our ears over here.
Yeah, when was the last time the ISLAMIC terrorists pulled anything on US soil? Could be a lack of media coverage, but I'm drawing a blank.
Orlando 2016 is all I can think of.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

About 2 weeks ago. Also, must be nice to have two oceans keeping you apart from the majority of the world.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:53 pm About 2 weeks ago. Also, must be nice to have two oceans keeping you apart from the majority of the world.
I'm not sure if that qualifies as terrorism related. However, there was a shooting in Pensacola three years ago and an attack on NAS Corpus Christi.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Depends on the motives of the perpretator, but violence to achieve certain political goals very much is terrorism and intimidating/killing specific subgroups because of their political positions absolutely counts.

Argueably, the amount of political violence against muslims in the US is a lot more common than political violence from or by muslims at this time, but this is very much not the case for the rest of the world. How many muslims were killed in the US specifically for their religion in this year so far? 10? 20? Maybe 30? For large parts of the world, that number isn't even worth being called tuesday.

Oh and for the record, the ̶ ̶̶k̶̶i̶̶l̶̶l̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶f̶ the attack on Salman Rushdie is an act of muslim terrorism.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Oh yeah, it was in New York wasn't it? Right there in the topic title.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I assume 'besides the one being currently discussed' was implied. Also, I was think something on a larger scale than a single assassination. Bombings, mass shootings, etc. THOSE seem to be infrequent in North America. Rest of the world, though... Yeah, y'all have it MUCH worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I find it interesting of course that we are having this conversation on the anniversary of the ''end'' of the Afghan war. The standard cop-out seems to be ''the Taliban aren't actually Muslims'' which is an interesting piece of sophistry. ''The Muslims that we don't like aren't Muslims.''

Oh and back on topic: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62546469 Iran blames Rushdie for getting stabbed. Because he dared to write a book insulting Islam.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think any broad statement about 1.8 billion people based on a tiny minority is madness. We don't point to the Buffalo shooter and say "this guy represents all 2.3 billion Christians".
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Samir Darwish, Egyptian journalist and editor-in-chief and founder of the Merit Cultural Magazine has this to say about the incident:

It is most likely that the person who assaulted Soleiman Roshdi never read his novel "The Satanic Verses", exactly like how Farag Foda's (Egyptian writer and activist) killer never read a letter he wrote, and how the person who stabbed Naguib Mahfouz (Egyptian author and Noble Prize winner in Literture) never read a letter of his controversial novel "Children of the Alley" (Children of Gebelawi), the last one not even knowing how to read and write.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Oh and for the record, the killing of Salman Rushdie is an act of muslim terrorism.
He's not dead.