SSS: Steven Seagal Sucks

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: SSS: Steven Seagal Sucks

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:44 pm If wikipedia is to be believe he have one job on a reality show as himself as his only job in almost ten years
After one conquers all their enemies will they be betrayed by the lulling sound of the soft night.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

What?
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Another reason for me to share this video.

youtu.be/PVe-cmH9AHk
Last edited by BBally81 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Let's try to remember to separate the person from the art.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I do not entirely subscribe to the idea of the "Death of the Auhor" and especially Seagal is consistantly playing only his self-image or rather, an image of himself he wants to present. You can not divorce this person from his art.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I think death of the author really mean, you can interrupt what the works means, even if the creator says differently.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:55 pm I think death of the author really mean, you can interrupt what the works means, even if the creator says differently.
I agree. I don't think it means what Madner was getting at.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:27 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:55 pm I think death of the author really mean, you can interrupt what the works means, even if the creator says differently.
I agree. I don't think it means what Madner was getting at.
You were argueing that we should look at the person and the art as two seperate instances. I said, that I don't think you can do this, at least in this case. He's specifically playing himself as he envisions himself or wants other people to percieve him. His entire spiel is counter to the idea of Death of the Author.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I think that there a bigger problem than death of the author. The same problem a lot of people have with JK Rowling. The fact that if you give money to their work, your giving them money to hurt people.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:44 pm He's specifically playing himself as he envisions himself or wants other people to percieve him. His entire spiel is counter to the idea of Death of the Author.
That's a pretty good point that neither I nor anybody should ever forget. What he's doing is in real life and has consequences. Under Siege is still a good movie, but his actions in the present are hurting people. Also we can't just interpret his movie in lieu of what the original writers and directors intent was.
Power laces... alright.