Enterprise - Stigma

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Enterprise - Stigma

Post by McAvoy »

It's possible for a machine to make poetry, paint, perform music, etc without emotions. Analyze all the work done before and choose the style to perform/use/create from.

Since he is fully sentient, it wouldn't sound like a modern day bot doing Mashup ripoff either. It would be on something he saw or did of note. Like Spot.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:17 pm It's possible for a machine to make poetry, paint, perform music, etc without emotions. Analyze all the work done before and choose the style to perform/use/create from.

Since he is fully sentient, it wouldn't sound like a modern day bot doing Mashup ripoff either. It would be on something he saw or did of note. Like Spot.
It wouldn't sound like that but that's what it would be.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 pmNo emotion and you've no reason to put more weight on living over dying.
Amoebas have no emotional states as we'd consider the term to apply, but they have very clear preferences and will seek out food and mates and flee toxins and predators.

There's a straightforward sense in which it is perfectly logical to prefer survival, in addition to a sense in which logic indicates survival is meaningless.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:04 am
Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 pmNo emotion and you've no reason to put more weight on living over dying.
Amoebas have no emotional states as we'd consider the term to apply, but they have very clear preferences and will seek out food and mates and flee toxins and predators.

There's a straightforward sense in which it is perfectly logical to prefer survival, in addition to a sense in which logic indicates survival is meaningless.
I'd argue that an amoeba is no different from a robot in that sense. You could supply a robot with various sensors and programming to remove itself from situations that might damage it, and to go and recharge when needs be, but that doesn't mean it's got a preference for living, any more than a waterwheel has for turning.

We have various built-in responses and reactions which are more machine-like; their existence does not carry the notion of a preference IMO. They're not the ones that say "If I make this decision something in the future will kill me, if I make that one I'll live."
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

There isn't really a fundamental difference between those instinctual preferences and human emotions/desires; only difference is degree of complexity. It's all just neurons and synapses, after all.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fianna wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:55 am There isn't really a fundamental difference between those instinctual preferences and human emotions/desires; only difference is degree of complexity. It's all just neurons and synapses, after all.
Maybe not for an amoeba, but I take your point.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fianna wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:55 am There isn't really a fundamental difference between those instinctual preferences and human emotions/desires; only difference is degree of complexity. It's all just neurons and synapses, after all.
I disagree. "It's all just neurons and synapses" is merely the method. I don't think many will agree that a human and a robot are fundamentally the same because both can be capable of moving a hand away from fire (and I'm talking about robots we could build now, not science fiction ones).
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I'm not sure that the storyline later on in the series doesn't justifies the Vulcan's portrayal in this episode. The Vulcan culture was warped by a Vulcan traitor or, if you guy by the books, a Vulcan passing Romulan infiltrator.

There were underlying prejudice that he worked with but it took just one guy to turn Germany into a genocide machine in the 30s and 40s. Even the Nazi Party itself was benign before Hitler came in and corrupted it like a virus.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

It's not quite true that it took only one man to turn Germany into a genocidal empire-wannabe. Hitler was the spark that set off a conflagration, but there were other potential sparks - and the fuel had been piling up for a long, long time.

It wasn't just a problem with Germany, too - the Germans were very fond of portrayals of American colonization, and the treatment of the natives made a big impression on them.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Frustration wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:39 pm It's not quite true that it took only one man to turn Germany into a genocidal empire-wannabe. Hitler was the spark that set off a conflagration, but there were other potential sparks - and the fuel had been piling up for a long, long time.

It wasn't just a problem with Germany, too - the Germans were very fond of portrayals of American colonization, and the treatment of the natives made a big impression on them.
But Hitler still is the only reason the Nazi Party itself went from a relatively benign political party to a death cult, so, my point could still stand.