Voyager Scorpion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Voyager Scorpion

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey does anyone know if Harry still kicking in the current str trek time line or no?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:15 pm Hey does anyone know if Harry still kicking in the current str trek time line or no?
If STO is considered at least semi-canon, he is. Books as well. Prime canon: status unknown.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:01 pm There are actually several parallel worlds where Harry dies. We're actually watching the only one where *a Harry* ultimately didn't. Somehow.

I should have expanded on that: there's a parallel world where the writers kill off Harry from the infection following the attack by Species 8472.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:16 pm
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:38 am
Ranadiel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:25 pm Maybe this makes sense if you watch the episode, but I feel like it needs to be asked... what exactly is Voyager getting out of this "deal" with the Borg?
Well I mean, one side we know is basically about all genocide, all the time, and genocide is more less all they do, so it's almost certain that they're the original aggressors here.

For the other side, we don't know much about them, and likely their home got invaded, but on the other hand... they seem really pissed off.

Of course we're going to side with the genocide factory.
I mean, that's fanon.

Species Xenomorph was originally portrayed as a bunch of extradimensional invaders that were from a reaity so different that they intended to exterminate all life in this universe. They got retconned and became infinitely less interesting.

Star Trek is great but sometimes it could use a little more Doctor Who acknowledgement some people are just assholes.
Definitely not fanon. Scorpion established that the Borg started the thing, and it was a later episode of Voyager that had Voyager making peace with 8472.

In this episode they THOUGHT that 8472 wanted to eliminate all other life. But it's (I think) the very next season where they discover that that was completely wrong. In fact, that episode reveals that the only reason 8472 was targeting Earth at all was because they saw Voyager allied with the Borg and therefore assumed that the Federation and the Borg were always allies.

So, unless you discount that follow-up episode... Janeway saved the Borg from a species that was really ONLY a threat to the Borg. She is responsible for every assimilated person from this moment forward. And she never once acknowledges that it may have been a mistake... even when the last member of an assimilated race calls her on this very action.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Swiftbow wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 am Definitely not fanon. Scorpion established that the Borg started the thing, and it was a later episode of Voyager that had Voyager making peace with 8472.

In this episode they THOUGHT that 8472 wanted to eliminate all other life. But it's (I think) the very next season where they discover that that was completely wrong. In fact, that episode reveals that the only reason 8472 was targeting Earth at all was because they saw Voyager allied with the Borg and therefore assumed that the Federation and the Borg were always allies.

So, unless you discount that follow-up episode... Janeway saved the Borg from a species that was really ONLY a threat to the Borg. She is responsible for every assimilated person from this moment forward. And she never once acknowledges that it may have been a mistake... even when the last member of an assimilated race calls her on this very action.
Except Species 8472 has no defense to "YOU WILL BE PURGED" when Seven brings it up.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

Swiftbow wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 amIn this episode they THOUGHT that 8472 wanted to eliminate all other life. But it's (I think) the very next season where they discover that that was completely wrong. In fact, that episode reveals that the only reason 8472 was targeting Earth at all was because they saw Voyager allied with the Borg and therefore assumed that the Federation and the Borg were always allies.
This never completely made sense to me. 8472 had enough intelligence on the Federation to recreate Starfleet down to the groundskeeper, but they never found anything that showed that the Federation had its own big issues with the Borg and what Janeway did was a one-off anomaly?
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 pmIf STO is considered at least semi-canon, he is. Books as well. Prime canon: status unknown.
Would be interesting if in Picard s3 Seven gets to do a recap on why she doesn't have any Voyager crew on her new command. She can be cut off by an alien attack or something before she gets to Chakotay and Janeway as they're spoken for on Prodigy. If she confirms Kim is still an ensign all those decades later that ep is an automatic 10/10.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

stryke wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 pmIf STO is considered at least semi-canon, he is. Books as well. Prime canon: status unknown.
Would be interesting if in Picard s3 Seven gets to do a recap on why she doesn't have any Voyager crew on her new command. She can be cut off by an alien attack or something before she gets to Chakotay and Janeway as they're spoken for on Prodigy. If she confirms Kim is still an ensign all those decades later that ep is an automatic 10/10.
That would be too meta for Trek.
I got nothing to say here.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:15 pm Hey does anyone know if Harry still kicking in the current str trek time line or no?
After voyager Harry was the longest serving ensign in Starfleet history. When he got home he was promptly discharged due to Starfleet's up or out policy.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

drewder wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:52 am
After voyager Harry was the longest serving ensign in Starfleet history. When he got home he was promptly discharged due to Starfleet's up or out policy.
Chuck once noted that Harry is the only officer in Star Trek history to have a reprimand on his permanent record for having sex with an alien - which means that everyone he ever comes into contact with is automatically going to assume the worst about him.

Harry "The Fiddler" Kim can probably only get a job in some roadside diner nowadays.