Voyager Scorpion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Re: Voyager Scorpion

Post by MightyDavidson »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 am
Swiftbow wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 am Definitely not fanon. Scorpion established that the Borg started the thing, and it was a later episode of Voyager that had Voyager making peace with 8472.

In this episode they THOUGHT that 8472 wanted to eliminate all other life. But it's (I think) the very next season where they discover that that was completely wrong. In fact, that episode reveals that the only reason 8472 was targeting Earth at all was because they saw Voyager allied with the Borg and therefore assumed that the Federation and the Borg were always allies.

So, unless you discount that follow-up episode... Janeway saved the Borg from a species that was really ONLY a threat to the Borg. She is responsible for every assimilated person from this moment forward. And she never once acknowledges that it may have been a mistake... even when the last member of an assimilated race calls her on this very action.
Except Species 8472 has no defense to "YOU WILL BE PURGED" when Seven brings it up.
True. Can't help thinking they could've come up with a better solution then "aid and abet the greatest enemy the Federation has ever known" however.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MightyDavidson wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:54 pm True. Can't help thinking they could've come up with a better solution then "aid and abet the greatest enemy the Federation has ever known" however.
Like I said, they should have kept them an absolutely xenophobic alien race determined to wipe out all life in the primary universe.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

But we already had that. The Borg.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:22 pm But we already had that. The Borg.
Immovable object and unstoppable force. There are some interesting stories they could have told about traveling through borg space while two incomprehensible behemoths are battling each other and too busy (usually) to notice the tiny ship going by.

But they solved it in a single two-parter.

Voyager had a real problem with introducing "we're entering a region of space dominated by X species/civilization" and then only intermittently using that backdrop, and more often outright forgetting it. Even though, once again, that's one of the strengths of their premise.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm
Durandal_1707 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:22 pm But we already had that. The Borg.
Immovable object and unstoppable force. There are some interesting stories they could have told about traveling through borg space while two incomprehensible behemoths are battling each other and too busy (usually) to notice the tiny ship going by.

But they solved it in a single two-parter.

Voyager had a real problem with introducing "we're entering a region of space dominated by X species/civilization" and then only intermittently using that backdrop, and more often outright forgetting it. Even though, once again, that's one of the strengths of their premise.
Well I would expect with perhaps most species they would be a one and done species.

I still stand by that the Borg should have been that huge looming threat to Voyager. Like if they stuck to TNG Borg, they could have played off the Borg as largely ignoring that tiny ship with just over a 100 people on board.

Then for select episodes have the Borg (no Queen) target Voyager due to Janeway sticking her nose where it shouldn't. Hell make that episode where it's about saving people from the Borg and risk Voyager getting targeted or ignore the people and the Borg leave them alone. Specifically make sure that every time the Borg do in fact attack Voyager it is by the skin of their teeth and alot of luck they survive. Make it so that Voyager wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell to stand up one on one for even a few seconds.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That's the big missed opportunity, and it's what they teased in a way with that initial sighting of the borg corpse in an earlier episode. Voyager spending a season, or even just a few episodes with that threat as a backdrop would have been incredibly engaging and suspenseful. But, this is Voyager. Just TNG 2.0, in all the most boring ways.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 am That's the big missed opportunity, and it's what they teased in a way with that initial sighting of the borg corpse in an earlier episode. Voyager spending a season, or even just a few episodes with that threat as a backdrop would have been incredibly engaging and suspenseful. But, this is Voyager. Just TNG 2.0, in all the most boring ways.
Voyager is just one big list of missed opportunities.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

The better plan would've been to wait until the 8472s and the Borg are too busy slugging it out with each other to notice (or care about) anything else and slip on past them. At most, giving the Borg the nanoprobe weapon should've only been considered as an absolute last resort.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 am That's the big missed opportunity, and it's what they teased in a way with that initial sighting of the borg corpse in an earlier episode. Voyager spending a season, or even just a few episodes with that threat as a backdrop would have been incredibly engaging and suspenseful. But, this is Voyager. Just TNG 2.0, in all the most boring ways.
I still remember watching when that episode first aired and the Borg corpse was at the end and it gave me a real sense of forboding. That was back when the Borg were genuinely, truly scary. The idea of Voyager trying to survive against even one Borg ship, let alone a whole fleet of them, was unfathomable at the time and so it also really raised my hopes for what the series was going to be like.

Then they proceeded to start treating the Borg like Skyrim treats draugrs. They just became so familiar and oversaturated that they lost any sense of impact or emotional weight. The difference between what I felt about the Borg - and the series - when the credits rolled that night vs. essentially everything that happened with the Borg after that is so vast that it's hard to believe.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 am
I still remember watching when that episode first aired and the Borg corpse was at the end and it gave me a real sense of forboding. That was back when the Borg were genuinely, truly scary. The idea of Voyager trying to survive against even one Borg ship, let alone a whole fleet of them, was unfathomable at the time and so it also really raised my hopes for what the series was going to be like.

Then they proceeded to start treating the Borg like Skyrim treats draugrs. They just became so familiar and oversaturated that they lost any sense of impact or emotional weight. The difference between what I felt about the Borg - and the series - when the credits rolled that night vs. essentially everything that happened with the Borg after that is so vast that it's hard to believe.
That was me too. Borg were scary and powerful when they first showed that corpse. Then over time they got reduce to the point that they didn't seem to be much of a threat once Voyager could take on a Tactical Cube and actually last. A Cube that should be far more powerful than the average cube we have seen before.

It's pretty obvious what they were doing. They got lazy and used the Borg for ratings.