Atlantis: Ghost in the Machine

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Atlantis: Ghost in the Machine

Post by Frustration »

The problem is that it's possible to synthetically generate 'souls'.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

Frustration wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:42 pm The problem is that it's possible to synthetically generate 'souls'.
Is it? When has that happened in Stargate?
Druplesnubb
Redshirt

Post by Druplesnubb »

When I watched this episode my impression was that Weir didn't know where the portal led and the Atlantis team tricked her, was that wrong?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well I got the impression she used the last of her strength to tell the other replicator that it was safe, so...
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Swiftbow wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am Is it? When has that happened in Stargate?
When the Ancients uplifted/designed humanity, and every time a human being has developed since then.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The implication that Weir deliberately acted as a 'Judas goat' to lead the Replicators to their doom was pretty clear... and in the process, demonstrated that she truly was Weir, at least to the degree that she was willing to sacrifice herself to save others. Whether Replicator Weir had a 'soul' or not seems unanswerable.
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

Frustration wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:48 pm
Swiftbow wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am Is it? When has that happened in Stargate?
When the Ancients uplifted/designed humanity, and every time a human being has developed since then.
You're treating them too much like gods (though, to be fair, the later seasons seemed to retcon earlier stuff that made sense by making it make a lot less sense). My read was that the Dakara device was basically created after they ascended and undid the deaths caused by the massive plague... thus basically restoring the former living beings on every world that were developing naturally/evolutionarily.

That is explicitly NOT the case for the Ori, apparently... (though the humans there may just be the same species as the original Ancients and are descendants of those who didn't ascend and lost their tech to the Ori mandates).

But even if the humans ARE the creation of the Ancients, the caveat in Stargate for a soul is arguably whether the creature is naturally organic or mechanical.
Frustration wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:49 pm The implication that Weir deliberately acted as a 'Judas goat' to lead the Replicators to their doom was pretty clear... and in the process, demonstrated that she truly was Weir, at least to the degree that she was willing to sacrifice herself to save others. Whether Replicator Weir had a 'soul' or not seems unanswerable.
I agree, but I think it was Weir's consciousness that persisted. Her human soul died with her body. Her mind lived on in Replicator form. So it's still her... just not ALL of her.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That works as long as we don't ever think about what we mean by 'soul'. If this 'soul' affects the way she behaves, it's part of her mind; if the copy didn't include her soul, it follows that it didn't actually have her mind.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

You'd have to come to an agreement in regards to what a soul actually is in the first place.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The term is usually semantically null. One of the reasons I like the Dresden Files is that it has 'souls' - which can be partially exchanged, created, and destroyed.