Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:35 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pmMost political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
There was a time when the stereotypical terrorist was a bomb-throwing left-wing anarchist.

I think you have a very limited view of history.
You have to go back to the 70s for active leftwing terrorists in the US, and the only people to die at the hands of weather Underground were three of thier own members. On the other had righ wing terrorism has been constant since at least the civil war.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:20 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:16 am
Honestly I'm surprised republicans are even pretending to condemn it rather than calling it a false flag operation or blaming it on anti-fascists.
Why? That's a serious degree of prejudice against people who don't share your political opinion right there.
Because they tend to do that with things that make them look bad.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:27 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:27 pm That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Most political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
And because of that it appears that some find it impossible to imagine that anyone with views to the right of theirs can have any sort of decency at all.

That sort of attitude is exactly the sort of prejudice and intolerance that the very same people spend a lot of time condemning.
Nobody went into Mitch McConnell's house to kill him with a hammer. I say mean things about Republicans, Republicans try to kill Democrats. We are not the same.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:41 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pmMost political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
There was a time when the stereotypical terrorist was a bomb-throwing left-wing anarchist.

You have to go back to the 70s for active leftwing terrorists in the US, and the only people to die at the hands of weather Underground were three of thier own members. On the other had righ wing terrorism has been constant since at least the civil war.
Kinda curious about the political leanings of all of the protestors during the Vietnam War. Related to what you said.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:37 am Again, fair. I guess the sheer brutality of this is standing out to me as significant. Feels like an escalation when it really isn't. This psycho just got closer than most and actually hurt Pelosi, though more indirectly than he was hoping for.
Yeah, if Pelosi had been there, her security detail would have been.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:19 am

Kinda curious about the political leanings of all of the protestors during the Vietnam War. Related to what you said.
Pretty broad movement probably falls about center left all things considered. Probably would have become even more left wing if it had gone on longer.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:27 am

Pretty broad movement probably falls about center left all things considered. Probably would have become even more left wing if it had gone on longer.
I am curious about it because the draft was highly unpopular. The war itself was unpopular. I kinda feel that even for younger right minded people that the war wasn't right. Of course there is the older generations that may think otherwise.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:27 am

I am curious about it because the draft was highly unpopular. The war itself was unpopular. I kinda feel that even for younger right minded people that the war wasn't right. Of course there is the older generations that may think otherwise.
To quote a wise man, 'it is easy to declare yourself a patriot who will die for your nation when you aren't the one fighting for your nation and sending children to fight for you to prove your patriotism
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As a Democrat, I'm ashamed of Republicans for stooping this low.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:36 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:35 pm Black Lives Matter setting fire to every state in the US for months.
Well excuse me for thinking that living, breathing people are more important than property.
Translation: you can destroy as much property owned by innocent people as you like as long as I agree with the cause.
Remind me, how did smashing up shops owned by black people avenge the black guy who was beaten to death by white cops anyway? I'm just curious.

https://thehustle.co/black-owned-busine ... rge-floyd/