SG-1: Divide and Conquer

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: SG-1: Divide and Conquer

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Jeri Ryan benefits from the fact she has a very strong magnetic personality and lots of acting chops as Seven of Nine. People underestimated her abilities as an actress because she was a sex bomb dressed like a Barbie Doll but like Tricia Helfer, her sex appeal is combined with good storytelling as well as acting.

So, yes, the nerds loved Seven of Nine as a very attractive woman but also as one of the most INTERESTING characters on Voyager. It's why I tuned in to watch Seven of Nine in Picard when she's PRACTICALLY dressed (as if somehow she ceased being gorgeous -- TV producer logic).

Vanessa Angel's Freya is visually appealing even with the boob armor that is ridiculous even by scifi standards but I never assumed she was going to be a major part of the cast which Seven, obviously, was.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:37 pm Jeri Ryan benefits from the fact she has a very strong magnetic personality and lots of acting chops as Seven of Nine. People underestimated her abilities as an actress because she was a sex bomb dressed like a Barbie Doll but like Tricia Helfer, her sex appeal is combined with good storytelling as well as acting.

So, yes, the nerds loved Seven of Nine as a very attractive woman but also as one of the most INTERESTING characters on Voyager. It's why I tuned in to watch Seven of Nine in Picard when she's PRACTICALLY dressed (as if somehow she ceased being gorgeous -- TV producer logic).

Vanessa Angel's Freya is visually appealing even with the boob armor that is ridiculous even by scifi standards but I never assumed she was going to be a major part of the cast which Seven, obviously, was.
The only real way of bringing in Freya is to make her a regular. There is a big difference of guest starring occasionally and being in a show almost every episode and having entire episodes dedicated to the character.

Maybe it could have been done. Like a liason and perhaps a fifth member of SG-1. I can't speak for the actress herself whether she could pull it off or not. But nothing in the episodes she actually appeared in shows anything remarkable outside the boob armor.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Moving this away from fanservice, there are two other problems with Anise:

1) she's kind of pointless as a character because we already have fan-favourite Jacob as our To'kra ambassador.

2) Anise also fails in the same way Jadzia and Ezri Dax often did and that is you don't really feel the generations of wisdom and experience coming through. When Jacob speaks you feel that weight. He is a general, a teacher and a father.

Anise is just kind of... rude mostly. Her host is a bit wishy-washy as well.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

I just watched the review. I forgot how bad Freya’s clothes were. :lol:

Martouf and Lantash were done so wrong here. Beloved characters (well, to me) that were reduced to a side note just to die. On top of that, their crush admits to having feelings for someone else as a final FU to them. (An FU from the writers, not Sam.)

I wonder if Lantash was even mentioned in the episode. Towards the end, the writers seemed to forget his existence.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:45 pm Moving this away from fanservice, there are two other problems with Anise:

1) she's kind of pointless as a character because we already have fan-favourite Jacob as our To'kra ambassador.

2) Anise also fails in the same way Jadzia and Ezri Dax often did and that is you don't really feel the generations of wisdom and experience coming through. When Jacob speaks you feel that weight. He is a general, a teacher and a father.

Anise is just kind of... rude mostly. Her host is a bit wishy-washy as well.
Pretty much.

I can't speak for the actress herself because I don't recall seeing her in anything else and too lazy to look her up. But I was never a fan of the character. Especially in her first appearance.

For her to work like I said would be for her to be a regular. A fifth member. A Jadzia Dax. I just don't see that working.

I never knew that when I first saw Stargate SG-1 and other showings when she was in it. For me she felt like just an extended guest star appearance that happened in SG-1.
I got nothing to say here.