DS9 - The Passenger

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MerelyAFan
Officer

DS9 - The Passenger

Post by MerelyAFan »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/d409.php

There's always a bit of awkwardness to these season 1 DS9 episodes; they're not quite TNG retreads like Voyager or Enterprise leaned into, but there is a clear grafting of Next Gen style stories in a DS9 that ultimately doesn't really play to either show's strengths. Its also probably the weakest performance Siddig gives in the series, he's not going over the top and is a bit distinct as Vantika, but never feels terribly engaging as him either.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: DS9 - The Passenger

Post by clearspira »

I would say the main problem with this episode is that Voyager's ''Warlord'' is the same plot but better. One is Jennifer Lien's best performance, the other is Siddig going full ham as a comic book villain.

Body Theft episodes are a real mixed bag in general because there really is only two plots you can pull off with them: Comedy and Living Nightmare. The problem with Comedy however is that, as Chuck noted over on Atlantis: Duet, having someone steal your body would ALWAYS be a Living Nightmare which is why the Goa'uld and the Borg are so feared. The fact that they are getting into all sorts of ''funny scrapes'' (normally involving copious amounts of sexual assault and gluttony) changes nothing. Comedy only works in these situations if its mutual.

I did like the ending of this one though with the female alien security guard just pulling out her phaser and blowing Vantika away. This clearly the best approach to dealing with a threat like this, even Jadzia and Sisko didn't look all that bothered.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 am The fact that they are getting into all sorts of ''funny scrapes'' (normally involving copious amounts of sexual assault and gluttony) changes nothing. Comedy only works in these situations if its mutual.
Well you could probably make it funnier if it was like a robot brain stuck in the wrong body or something. "Well my usual body needs to be reconditioned, so I got this organic substitute for now. It's got all these weird features..."
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 am
I did like the ending of this one though with the female alien security guard just pulling out her phaser and blowing Vantika away. This clearly the best approach to dealing with a threat like this, even Jadzia and Sisko didn't look all that bothered.
Well, he was dead. His body was confirmed dead by a licensed doctor and I'm sure the security guard told her government that his body was dead, so did she kill Vantika, or did she just destroy a machine?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

You're overlooking a third option: Living Nightmare for the character, Comedy for the audience who laughs at their suffering.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

There is only two films I can think of that has managed to get this right:

Freaky: Where the comedy is derived from the fact that it is a living nightmare. It doesn't shy away from it, it embraces it.

Freaky Friday (Lindsay Lohan version): Where both the mother and the daughter are as bad as each other and both get their metaphorical licks in. The original Jodie Foster version was too much a product of its time in that the only problem seemed to be that Foster wanted to enjoy her life and not be stuck indoors like her housewife mum.

I guess I just don't ''get'' this genre enough to enjoy it. It mostly seems to be a fetish anyway.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I think a lot of it's simply, "We're used to seeing this person act a certain way, so seeing them act a completely different way would be funny."

Same reason shirtless Sulu with the rapier is funny.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

LordFeagans wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 am
Well, he was dead. His body was confirmed dead by a licensed doctor and I'm sure the security guard told her government that his body was dead, so did she kill Vantika, or did she just destroy a machine?
Have you killed someone if you destroy the transporter whilst they're still in the buffer and haven't yet re-materialised? No body, just a machine...
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Have you killed someone, if you run them over while you sit in your car? That is not a question that has multiple answers...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 pm Have you killed someone, if you run them over while you sit in your car? That is not a question that has multiple answers...
Were they dead before you ran them over? Did they die during or after after you ran them over?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu