For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Avatar 2

Post by clearspira »

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/11/ ... ur-system/

Testosterone and manliness is poison according to James Cameron. A theme that he will be working into Avatar 2.

Mmmm. Yum. I can smell the sweet scent of insulting your male fanbase. Because that has proven to have gone down well so many times before - and with you needing to earn so much to break even too? He isn't getting my money.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

They really milked a whole article out of taking a common phrase and pretending they thought it was meant literally, huh?

Full quote: "A lot of things I did earlier, I wouldn’t do — career-wise and just risks that you take as a wild, testosterone-poisoned young man,” he says, declining to specify further. “I always think of [testosterone] as a toxin that you have to slowly work out of your system.”
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

There are reasons young men have to pay higher car insurance rates until they turn 25. It has nothing to do with prejudice, and everything to do with statistics.

Young women are also idiotic, but in different ways. And then of course there are the problems with older people, but they're not so obviously biologically-driven to take highly visible risks.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Frustration wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:19 pm There are reasons young men have to pay higher car insurance rates until they turn 25. It has nothing to do with prejudice, and everything to do with statistics.

Young women are also idiotic, but in different ways. And then of course there are the problems with older people, but they're not so obviously biologically-driven to take highly visible risks.
How did we get to here?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:55 am
Frustration wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:19 pm There are reasons young men have to pay higher car insurance rates until they turn 25. It has nothing to do with prejudice, and everything to do with statistics.

How did we get to here?
Mostly from hammerofglass quoting the article for context on "testorone poisoning".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:52 pm They really milked a whole article out of taking a common phrase and pretending they thought it was meant literally, huh?

Full quote: "A lot of things I did earlier, I wouldn’t do — career-wise and just risks that you take as a wild, testosterone-poisoned young man,” he says, declining to specify further. “I always think of [testosterone] as a toxin that you have to slowly work out of your system.”
Cameron was only 29-30 when he made Terminator and Aliens. You should by that point not act like a hormone crazed teenager. At least you are not supposed to.

What exactly would he do differently in those two movies anyway?
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainm ... atar-fans/

James Cameron flips off his fans after refusing to sign autographs. What a prick. I hope this film fails and judging by its current takings to what (in his own words) he needs to make back, a flop is definitely on the cards here.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Reviews I saw said the fictional ecology and cool space tech stuff I actually liked in the original was only a third of the runtime so I'm going to wait until it's in a format I can fast forward. Anyone see it yet?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Though the first film was a visual achievement, I never connected to the story or characters in the way I had with his previous films. For that reason it ranks at the bottom of Cameron's films (having not seen PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING).

I walked out of AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER thinking it was Cameron's best film since TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY. Unlike the last time, I connected far more with the characters and their dynamics. Sam Worthington plays much better as a character that's trying to walk the line between doing what's right for the natives and what's right for his family. I'm even more intrigued with where they go with Quaritch, I sense a heel turn in the future. And for the first time, I'm actually looking forward to the next AVATAR film. I'm flabbergasted.