Planet of the apes

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Planet of the apes

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I loved it. The behind the scenes was great and the review really got at the themes. Chuck delivers the high quality you expect him to.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

The only way the ending makes sense is if the whole film took place on Liberty Island
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean it possible that the environment change over the centuries, since the statue of liberty is on the center of the island not on the beach like the movie did. Either that or it a replica.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

pilight wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:45 am The only way the ending makes sense is if the whole film took place on Liberty Island
remember how far in the future we are speaking about and how coastline tend to change. There are city under water today and vice versus they are places that was once on the bottom on the ocean on land. Giving the second film the city they discover seem to be new york then sea level would had drop enough for the land to connect to liberty island. Not to mention around new york itself. We also don't know if they were any terra forming to create it either like a much larger form of man made island so on. The only hole i see was how they were suppose to survive after finding the planet. That ship they were was too small to create a habitat in case the planet lack the right atmosphere. in fact 3 men and 1 women seem too small of a crew for the mission they are suppose to do.

But if you can skip, i enjoy the film so i can ignore such holes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I actually saw this film last night on the BBC and as we are all sci-fi/space exploration fans on here I thought I would bump this thread with a question:

What is the point of light speed exploration if everyone you leave behind will age by hundreds of years?

In the 700 years of the original mission of Taylor's crew, all science as they know it would have advanced to the point of what they know would be completely obsolete. Better ships would have been built. Better technology and equipment would have been built. We may even have gotten ''closer'' to light speed or have developed other more efficient ways of travelling to the point of overtaking Taylor's crew and thus rendering his entire journey pointless. Its not even in real time as the crew are in cryo-sleep.

The scientific benefit of this mission would ultimately have been nil because Taylor is flying around in the equivalent of the Phoenix after the launch of the Enterprise.

And then there are the psychological problems. More people are more Landon than they are Taylor in that having everyone and everything you've ever known die off is not something you just brush off. In this sense, the Galaxy-class concept where you bring your family along seems like the only option.

Light speed exploration seems as if it would achieve nothing at best and be an emotionally scarring waste of money at worst.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:43 am I actually saw this film last night on the BBC and as we are all sci-fi/space exploration fans on here I thought I would bump this thread with a question:

What is the point of light speed exploration if everyone you leave behind will age by hundreds of years?

In the 700 years of the original mission of Taylor's crew, all science as they know it would have advanced to the point of what they know would be completely obsolete. Better ships would have been built. Better technology and equipment would have been built. We may even have gotten ''closer'' to light speed or have developed other more efficient ways of travelling to the point of overtaking Taylor's crew and thus rendering his entire journey pointless. Its not even in real time as the crew are in cryo-sleep.

The scientific benefit of this mission would ultimately have been nil because Taylor is flying around in the equivalent of the Phoenix after the launch of the Enterprise.

And then there are the psychological problems. More people are more Landon than they are Taylor in that having everyone and everything you've ever known die off is not something you just brush off. In this sense, the Galaxy-class concept where you bring your family along seems like the only option.

Light speed exploration seems as if it would achieve nothing at best and be an emotionally scarring waste of money at worst.
Any directive driving a human to venture at light speed for such a purpose would most obviously be by an institution, thus it'd be important for the institution to be at the destination point. The personal cost is apparent to everyone concerned, but I doubt they would impact everybody the same way, and you'd thus have people committed to the job in spite of such dreary terms.

The most apparent purpose I can think of in that case would be to just test the procedure itself. Sending a human through time to the future is something science has yet to observe, so I imagine that would have been a suitable explanation for such a movie.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Marveryn wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:30 am
pilight wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:45 am The only way the ending makes sense is if the whole film took place on Liberty Island
remember how far in the future we are speaking about and how coastline tend to change. There are city under water today and vice versus they are places that was once on the bottom on the ocean on land. Giving the second film the city they discover seem to be new york then sea level would had drop enough for the land to connect to liberty island. Not to mention around new york itself. We also don't know if they were any terra forming to create it either like a much larger form of man made island so on. The only hole i see was how they were suppose to survive after finding the planet. That ship they were was too small to create a habitat in case the planet lack the right atmosphere. in fact 3 men and 1 women seem too small of a crew for the mission they are suppose to do.

Sorry that sort of change happens in the span of millions of years. Not hundreds of years. Rule of thumb for plate movement is the same rate as your thumb nail.

So actually movement by the Earth itself is unlikely.

One idea I always had was a nuke blasted the statue off of her pedestal. But such a blast probably would have taken that arm off too.

In actuality though, without humans overseeing her, the iron straps holding her together would last only a couple of hundred years at most. Those iron straps would rust and then then the copper plating would collapse into a pile of copper scrap.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:03 am
Sorry that sort of change happens in the span of millions of years. Not hundreds of years. Rule of thumb for plate movement is the same rate as your thumb nail.
Depends. Some noticeable changes can happen over a few hundred years. Coastal erosion can be pretty rapid, and in the other direction so can silting up around rivers (especially if they've been artificially maintained and then left).
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:03 am
Marveryn wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:30 am

So actually movement by the Earth itself is unlikely.

One idea I always had was a nuke blasted the statue off of her pedestal. But such a blast probably would have taken that arm off too.

In actuality though, without humans overseeing her, the iron straps holding her together would last only a couple of hundred years at most. Those iron straps would rust and then then the copper plating would collapse into a pile of copper scrap.
It has been a while but i want to say its was 1000 years differences between the end of human race and the start of the age of ape. This is after a nuclear winter which could in theory be cold enough to create glaciers again that trap water and lower sea levels. Changes in land can happen rather quickly particular if your are dealing with a volcano (i know most volcano are dormant in the east coast and just using it an a example of how nature can create landmass fast) You also have to consider that the lands around new york could had been a man made thing too. We seen china create a man made island just this century. So while i think its not enough time to say have california split into the ocean i think it may be enough time for stuff like new york being landlocked a bit. Especially if the fallout case large chunk of ocean to be frozen.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

There is the obvious that after Taylor left Earth, at some time, they moved the Statue of Liberty. Maybe it was sold to a private owner or there was an environmental disaster that called for the statue to be moved. There is hundreds of years for something to have happened.