Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Strange New Worlds

Post by Fianna »

https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/w101.php

Yep, Chuck has started reviewing Strange New Worlds, beginning with the series premiere ... "Strange New Worlds".

Also, if you were in doubt on Chuck's thoughts about Discovery, this review makes those clear, too.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Riedquat »

Fianna wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am Also, if you were in doubt on Chuck's thoughts about Discovery, this review makes those clear, too.
I'm getting a considerably better impression from him about Syrange New Worlds. Whereas the sense of Discovery was "Makes Enterprise look great."
tjfd88
Redshirt

Post by tjfd88 »

Also the fact that he hasn't touched Discovery since reviewing the Season 2 finale, nor Picard after the third episode, tells a lot too. I imagine in the new year we should be seeing more Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks episodes among the new content from Trek, with maybe some Prodigy too.

I for one welcome any new episode discussions on SNW.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/w101.php

Yep, Chuck has started reviewing Strange New Worlds, beginning with the series premiere ... "Strange New Worlds".

Also, if you were in doubt on Chuck's thoughts about Discovery, this review makes those clear, too.
I would appreciate some actual ratings on these reviews. I get that his style is to compare them to its own series as opposed to the franchise as a whole which means that he has to wait for the series to end first, but if he is going to keep that up I think it was a mistake to make videos on them in the first place. We shouldn't have to infer by watching another show what his views on the previous show are.

Just in case Chuck reads this, I consider this to be a small gripe at best.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I think that's what the final thoughts at the end of the review are (though when reviewing more serialized shows like Picard and Discovery, Chuck does sometimes end up not actually including much evaluation of the episode in question, 'cause they're waiting till the story arc's done to do it all at once).
Xaios
Redshirt

Post by Xaios »

La'an's got that Drummer energy.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

tjfd88 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:47 pm Also the fact that he hasn't touched Discovery since reviewing the Season 2 finale, nor Picard after the third episode, tells a lot too. I imagine in the new year we should be seeing more Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks episodes among the new content from Trek, with maybe some Prodigy too.

I for one welcome any new episode discussions on SNW.
Assuming they've been requested of course.
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

I love this! Most of the episode was great, I'm not quite as fond of the shoehorning of the current events into the episode, but I was able to look past that, and very glad that I did. That was the only weak part of the episode to me, but the episode was more than enough to bring me back the next week, and only got better from there.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Zatman wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:55 am I love this! Most of the episode was great, I'm not quite as fond of the shoehorning of the current events into the episode, but I was able to look past that, and very glad that I did. That was the only weak part of the episode to me, but the episode was more than enough to bring me back the next week, and only got better from there.
I don't like the insertion of current events because it automatically dates the episode, especially if ten years later the popular opinion of today's events have changed.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Did they praise Elon Musk again?

At least TOS never referenced current events, because that would have doomed the franchise if the ha......hahahahahaha, sorry I thought I could get through that sentence without laughing. This close, this damn close, Trek has always referenced current events to use them in allegory. It is what makes Trek, Trek.