Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:39 pm Did they praise Elon Musk again?

At least TOS never referenced current events, because that would have doomed the franchise if the ha......hahahahahaha, sorry I thought I could get through that sentence without laughing. This close, this damn close, Trek has always referenced current events to use them in allegory. It is what makes Trek, Trek.
Referenced, yes. Paralleled using fictional concepts, yes. Having aliens in place of real world organizations and countries to play out the parts, yes. But outright showing footage of real world events such as Donald Trump supporters wearing MAGA hats? No. This dates the work because people in a few years from now won't give a shit about MAGA because it'll be dead and gone and to attribute it to starting WW3 is just hysteria.

You're a mod on TVTropes. You must be familiar with the trope ''Unintentional Period Piece'' yes?
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

The premiere was alright, but I'd really want to see the series being handled by someone else rather than Kurtzman and Goldsmith and their handpicked writers. It's pretty clear that whatever good ideas they had were used up in the first half of the show, since the latter half of S1 was inferior.
Procstar
Redshirt

Post by Procstar »

Mabus wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:27 pm The premiere was alright, but I'd really want to see the series being handled by someone else rather than Kurtzman and Goldsmith and their handpicked writers. It's pretty clear that whatever good ideas they had were used up in the first half of the show, since the latter half of S1 was inferior.
I personally thought the whole season was strong, though they did go up and down here and there.

...but that is the way of both television and Star Trek in general. Not all of them are going to be A+ winners because everybody is going to have their own preferences for this and that.
Procstar
Redshirt

Post by Procstar »

At least TOS never referenced current events, because that would have doomed the franchise if the ha......hahahahahaha, sorry I thought I could get through that sentence without laughing. This close, this damn close, Trek has always referenced current events to use them in allegory. It is what makes Trek, Trek.
Pretty much. Star Trek uses sci-fi to discuss contemporary topics and concerns. It was never meant to be timeless.

Compare that to something like Star Wars, which is very entrenched in its "galaxy far far away" mythos. The tech and world is pretty consistent, even down to haircuts, fashion and the heavy use of buttons.
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

As another poster said, there's a huge difference between making an allegory of a contemporary event, and flat out having the current event in Star Trek. What if in "Let that be your Last Battlefield" Kirk had made Bele and Lokai watch the "I Have a Dream" speech? The attitudes of 1969 were such that it would have generated a lot of backlash. It's harder to say what real effect it would have had given that it aired during TOS's final season, but had it aired during the first, it's entirely possible that TOS would not have gotten a second, there's a strong chance the southern networks would have dropped the show and thus denied the show a significant portion of viewers.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Zatman wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:34 am As another poster said, there's a huge difference between making an allegory of a contemporary event, and flat out having the current event in Star Trek. What if in "Let that be your Last Battlefield" Kirk had made Bele and Lokai watch the "I Have a Dream" speech? The attitudes of 1969 were such that it would have generated a lot of backlash. It's harder to say what real effect it would have had given that it aired during TOS's final season, but had it aired during the first, it's entirely possible that TOS would not have gotten a second, there's a strong chance the southern networks would have dropped the show and thus denied the show a significant portion of viewers.
Thankfully we no longer live in those times. Those southern pieces of shit died off many years ago and now Trek can easily make an episode that calls them out for being the terrible people they are.

It’s a lot more civilized than Bull Connor’s grave being vandalized (though very befitting).
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Hey, the guy who praised Elon Musk turned out to be Space Hitler so irony intact.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:36 am

Hey, the guy who praised Elon Musk turned out to be Space Hitler so irony intact.
There is plenty to praise about Elon Musk. 95% of Sci-fi up until this point got it wrong. It isn't governments that'll get us to the stars - its corporations. Space-X, Amazon and Virgin all smell hotels, they smell houses, they smell natural resources, they smell power in the governments that'll rule us outside the Earth's atmosphere. The future of Mars is a big golden ''M'' illuminating the Martian dust as a million coke cans rattle around the base of Olympus Mons as tourists bid to be the first to climb it. And the corporation that puts that big golden ''M'' on Mars first will be rolling in enough cash to drown Scrooge McDuck. Look out Mars! Humans are coming! To soil your untarnished mud with effluence and to stain it with blood over the property rights.

It isn't NASA that'll get us to the stars - their budget barely covers putting up satellites nowadays. Its Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson who are our Zefram Cochrane.

My bleak view of the future of space aside, Musk has done many great things. Just because Twitter blew up in his face and he has some objectionable politics, apparently he is now worthy of being compared to Hitler in the eyes of some(?)
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:41 am My bleak view of the future of space aside, Musk has done many great things. Just because Twitter blew up in his face and he has some objectionable politics, apparently he is now worthy of being compared to Hitler in the eyes of some(?)
I lost all respect I had for Musk not because of Twitter but because he did an enormous con job on California with his bullet train that was only in existence to kill other public transportation plans.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Musk is a scam artist who got lucky with some good publicity, and then ruined it by not just shutting the hell up and quietly enjoying his vast wealth. He inherited his money, then used it to buy companies set up by others, took credit for their inventions, relied on underlings to make them popular, while treating the employees, not to mention actual governments and general populations, like utter shit in an increasingly autocratic way. There is very, very, very little to respect about him. Thankfully his thin skin and raging ego continue to make that increasingly clear.