Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Madner Kami »

CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 am Musk is a scam artist who got lucky with some good publicity, and then ruined it by not just shutting the hell up and quietly enjoying his vast wealth. He inherited his money, then used it to buy companies set up by others, took credit for their inventions, relied on underlings to make them popular, while treating the employees, not to mention actual governments and general populations, like utter shit in an increasingly autocratic way. There is very, very, very little to respect about him. Thankfully his thin skin and raging ego continue to make that increasingly clear.
And yet people still praise this shitstain...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

He founded SpaceX. He didn't inherit it, he didn't buy it, he didn't steal it. He founded it. And now it is taking us to Mars, it is taking us back to the Moon, it is bringing communication to Ukraine and it is probably going to bring the replacement for the ISS. Lets just willingly gloss over all these inconvenient truths though...

And so what if he inherited his money? Newsflash: that is how 99% of wealth is accrued nowadays. There really are not that many self-made millionaires let alone self-made billionaires. Money makes money. Its what you do with it that counts, such as revolutionising the space and electric car industry.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 am Musk is a scam artist who got lucky with some good publicity, and then ruined it by not just shutting the hell up and quietly enjoying his vast wealth. He inherited his money, then used it to buy companies set up by others, took credit for their inventions, relied on underlings to make them popular, while treating the employees, not to mention actual governments and general populations, like utter shit in an increasingly autocratic way. There is very, very, very little to respect about him. Thankfully his thin skin and raging ego continue to make that increasingly clear.
Yep. Musk is terrible. More are waking up to that but he still has a very rabid following. The likes of Zuckerberg, and especially Bezos are terrible people too. There are merits to some of the stuff they've brought to the table, but they've also done a lot of bad stuff with the power and wealth they've gotten.

Procstar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm
Mabus wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:27 pm The premiere was alright, but I'd really want to see the series being handled by someone else rather than Kurtzman and Goldsmith and their handpicked writers. It's pretty clear that whatever good ideas they had were used up in the first half of the show, since the latter half of S1 was inferior.
I personally thought the whole season was strong, though they did go up and down here and there.

...but that is the way of both television and Star Trek in general. Not all of them are going to be A+ winners because everybody is going to have their own preferences for this and that.
Agreed. It was a strong season in general. Obviously opinions of individual episodes will vary, and there are a couple plot decisions I wish hadn't been made, but overall I thought it was really strong.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:34 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

He founded SpaceX. He didn't inherit it, he didn't buy it, he didn't steal it. He founded it. And now it is taking us to Mars, it is taking us back to the Moon, it is bringing communication to Ukraine and it is probably going to bring the replacement for the ISS. Lets just willingly gloss over all these inconvenient truths though...

And so what if he inherited his money? Newsflash: that is how 99% of wealth is accrued nowadays. There really are not that many self-made millionaires let alone self-made billionaires. Money makes money. Its what you do with it that counts, such as revolutionising the space and electric car industry.
And that's very, very bad.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Sir Will wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:35 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:34 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

Indeed.

They are also glossing over the fact that the guy who made Space X work was Tom Mueller, and that Musk has basically claimed credit for everything Mueller ever did as well as trying to write him out of the company's story. Musk did jack for Space X, except take credit for other people's work.

Musk has also tried to screw over Ukraine, using Twitter and also to extort money out of them to use Starlink. Starlink is hugely environmentally damaging, and also has made astronomy much more challenging too. Musk has also tried to gain a monopoly using Starlink too.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Sir Will wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:35 am
My opinion is that inherited wealth is not wrong unless you think the problem is the rich being rich versus doing anything to make the poor less poor.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The sort of person to successfully accumulate that power and wealth generally isn't very nice. They have to prioritize power and wealth before almost anything else, or they would have been beaten by someone who put 100% into overcoming them.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 pm The sort of person to successfully accumulate that power and wealth generally isn't very nice. They have to prioritize power and wealth before almost anything else, or they would have been beaten by someone who put 100% into overcoming them.
Sometimes some good comes out of that as a side effect, but all too often it's a race to the bottom of who can be the biggest arsehole.

Can't stand Musk, and I'm quite an enthusiast for space exploration.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I'm in favor of space exploration - which is precisely why I'm opposed to attempts to put humans there.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Frustration wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:45 pm I'm in favor of space exploration - which is precisely why I'm opposed to attempts to put humans there.
The end goal of space exploration is, to get humans to other planets and spread our species to the stars. If you want to stay here forever, that is fine. I want to visit the Shoulder of Orion and walk on the moons of Nibia.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox