Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stryke
Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:12 am Britain also invented Judge Dredd
Important to note that the Federation and the Doctor are meant to be the good thing on those shows, Judge Dredd and the Imperium of 40k who share a lot of the same DNA, not so much.

It's when people miss that essential point that they're both responses to Thatcher's UK of the 80s about how that was not a good thing in the slightest, and take them at face value you get the more effed up elements in the fanbases.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am
Seriously man, gotta ask. You hate the idea of peace, international unity, manned spaceflight, social progressiveness, all that stuff you've railed against all of that stuff here, you're really into international isolationism and cultural supremacy, and militarism, stay-at-homeism, you've praised all that stuff. So, I gotta ask, what the actual fuck are you getting out of Star Trek? It, and Trek fandom, are based on all the stuff you seem to hate and want to not exist. Help me understand what you get out of it, if the hope of a better, more interconnected, future among the stars is so anathema to you? :?: :?: :?: :?:
[/quote]
Never seen any stuff like international isolationism or cultural supremacy from him. Saying so though does sound like someone at the opposite extreme trying to label everything else in as negative terms as possible.

As for liking something in fiction, well, I really don't want to live in a very high-tech world, doesn't mean I don't find science ficiton interesting and enjoyable (although as mentioned earlier I'd very much like the whole space travel, and, appropriately, strange new worlds aspect). Does anyone here want to get phasered or assimilated by the Borg? You can enjoy a fiction without wanting it to be reality.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am

Never seen any stuff like international isolationism or cultural supremacy from him.
They are a Brexiteer, they've gone off on that one a couple of times.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Yeah how's that working out for the UK?
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 am The Federation is too hypocritical to deliver an anti-war message anyway. They fly around the galaxy with ships capable to glassing a planet and sidearms capable of disintegrating a man and yet they are supposed to be the peaceful ones. Lets be honest, with the exception of season 1 and 2 TNG (and Chakotay), the Federation is often the one's to shoot first and ask questions later.

''We're not a military!'' they say with their military ranks, military discipline, court martials, antimatter weapons and numerous guns.
''We're peaceful!'' they say just before one of their weekly firefights, the smell of burnt flesh wafting past their noses as they leave.

No offence intended, and I mean that, that is the fundamental problem with America bringing its gun culture to the stars. Britain invents Dr Who, a mostly pacifist man who travels the universe unarmed and tries to solve problems by talking. America gives us the United Federation of Heavily Armed Peace.
So they should roll over and be enslaved by the other species in the universe with guns?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The Federation is informed by the fact its first writers are a bunch of WW2 veterans.

Democracy is great.
Diversity is great.
The League of Nations/UN Is not going to be a joke (this time)

And you'll have to kill a shit ton of people to preserve it.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Sir Will wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 am Yeah how's that working out for the UK
Direly so, but then I thought that before it happened so hey can't speak for those who still have the blinkers on and think all those bus promised millions will be spent on the NHS anyday now, just you wait....
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:42 am The Federation is informed by the fact its first writers are a bunch of WW2 veterans.

Democracy is great.
Diversity is great.
The League of Nations/UN Is not going to be a joke (this time)

And you'll have to kill a shit ton of people to preserve it.
TOS Federation was ill defined that experiences from WW2 was probably not a factor.

If you treat Trek like the days of sailing ships where if took weeks or months to get to one destination and that you may be the only ship in the area, the captain makes all of the ultimate decisions in behalf of his crew and country. Then it makes more sense.

Also I don't know where Clearspira gets that the Federation shoots first idea from. Pretty much most Trek episodes have the other ship fire first. Janeway and Picard both do this alot and when they do shoot back usually its not even a lethal blow. It's usually to disable the ship, not destroy it.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Batman and Spider-Man are British stories.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The federation is about as bad as either the soviets or Cold War era America. Most any episode with it shows a union either politicizing humane issues or engaging in conflict for survival.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:00 am TOS Federation was ill defined that experiences from WW2 was probably not a factor.
TOS federation gets a decent number of speeches where Kirk says we've abolished all the evils of greed, materialism, and so on. The writers like DC Fontana and others were full of big huge ideas, plenty of which got put in pen and paper novels or in their notes.

And remember the TOS era lasted to The Undiscovered Country.