Star Trek: Discovery in trouble?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Redem
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery in trouble?

Post by Redem »

Fixer wrote:
I thought it looks somewhat like an Imperial Cathedral ship crossed with an Eldar Battlecruiser.

Either way, the weird biological and overly complicated design is no-where near the blocky Utilitarianism of a Klingon D7 or the simple design of a Bird of Prey.

Speaks less "honor based warrior culture" and more "Religious space crusaders".
I definitively can see a catheral door in it,though I don't dislike it
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Good, I don't want this.

I want the new Trek series to be a New Enterprise in the 25th Century. And I want another Female Captain, let's not let Janeway ruin it for everyone.
Call me KuudereKun
Eric
Redshirt

Post by Eric »

I think it was in trouble the moment they said prequel. I'm sure there's good prequels out there and the fact that I can't think of any at the moment doesn't mean a thing! Okay I understand it as a business decision. I think it's just the exact opposite thing you would want to do to attract the Star Trek fan base. I've only seen the shows and the movies but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what the it showd to the Star Trek universe should looks like.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fixer wrote:Image

I thought it looks somewhat like an Imperial Cathedral ship crossed with an Eldar Battlecruiser.
Oh. I was thinking of a different leaked pic. This flying bug is what I meant when I said it looked like a Lexx ship.

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Eric wrote:I think it was in trouble the moment they said prequel. I'm sure there's good prequels out there and the fact that I can't think of any at the moment doesn't mean a thing! Okay I understand it as a business decision. I think it's just the exact opposite thing you would want to do to attract the Star Trek fan base. I've only seen the shows and the movies but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what the it showd to the Star Trek universe should looks like.
I view Trek the opposite of Star Wars.

Star Trek is "where not man gone before" Prequels go against that.

Star Wars is "Long Long Ago" it's designed for Prequels, to me it was fine ending with ROTJ, the new stories I want are what was "Long Long Ago" even in Episode I.
Call me KuudereKun
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:
Eric wrote:I think it was in trouble the moment they said prequel. I'm sure there's good prequels out there and the fact that I can't think of any at the moment doesn't mean a thing! Okay I understand it as a business decision. I think it's just the exact opposite thing you would want to do to attract the Star Trek fan base. I've only seen the shows and the movies but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what the it showd to the Star Trek universe should looks like.
I view Trek the opposite of Star Wars.

Star Trek is "where not man gone before" Prequels go against that.

Star Wars is "Long Long Ago" it's designed for Prequels, to me it was fine ending with ROTJ, the new stories I want are what was "Long Long Ago" even in Episode I.
To be fair what is known was once unknown the federation is large enough to have territory we don't know much about even in what we've seen so far
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

I really wish they would have the guts to do a post Voyager post DS9 series, and I hope (against all hope) Discovery succeeds in order to give us a chance of that.

I know it's risky given how far ahead tech in the Trek universe has gone by the end of those series, and would have by twenty years further on if they decided to have a gap similar to the gap between the end of Voyager and the start of a new one, but I really think it would have more potential. You think the only way to go forward with that timeline is to do a war story? Well you're doing one with the prequel anyway. You don't think there's anything new to explore? The same applies to the prequel universe, and you're even more hampered because you can't have them discover anything that significant without fucking up the timeline. You want to make it appeal to the established fanbase without alienating newbies? You could make established fans SO happy with cameos by characters from Voyager or DS9 and if you executed it properly, it won't alienate newbies any more than the appearances by Spock and Scotty did on TNG. You could even make them part of the show without much difficulty. Is Nog already the first Ferengi Captain? Has Janeway been court-martialed for some of the insane shit she did in the Delta Quadrant? Did Voyager actually make it back to Earth or get hit by an asteroid twenty minutes from home? Did Odo's mission in the Dominion succeed? If it didn't, could there be another war? Could there be a civil war that tests the Federation's committment to the Prime Directive? How is Cardassia recovering? What happened to Dukat's dozen or so children? Did Sisko come back? How's Worf doing with his ambassador gig? Is the Doctor leading the battle for holographic civil rights? (Having the Doctor would be the biggest challenge since Robert Picardo is obviously a real person who's aged int he last twenty years unlike a hologram would.) Did Harry Kim ever find his balls? TNG, Voyager, and DS9 left open plenty of story you could still cover. They've played with a lot of this in the novels to varying success and the show would have a deep well to draw from if they wanted (all though I hope they wouldn't be constrained to the novels since that likely would induce continuity lockout).

Or if we can't have that, can we see what the Kelvin universe looks like in modern Trek era? That would be an AU worth exploring. How was the Federation shaped by the tragic loss of Vulcan? How did the other powers respond? If you're going to make an AU - EXPLORE IT. Again there's a well to draw from with the comics, or not.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You know, there is a substantial body of novels covering the prime universe after Voyager. I can't recommend it since I haven't read any of them, but it's there.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

mathewgsmith wrote:You know, there is a substantial body of novels covering the prime universe after Voyager. I can't recommend it since I haven't read any of them, but it's there.
It's a shame the novels and comics don't reference each other for the most part.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

The key allegation - which the video basically breezes past - is that Netflix is upset.

That's important because Netflix paid for the entire show.

Since they were promised January delivery, at this point CBS is in breach of contract.

Is Netflix going to call in their marker like Carl Zeemo?

"Where's my money?!!"
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K