Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by Madner Kami »

Mabus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pmMaybe the next episodes will improve the story somehow, I don't know. But as it is, I feel that this season premiere was worse than S2, so maybe there will be a sort of inversion, S2 had a good premiere and the rest was dogshit, maybe here it will be opposite.
nuTrek has to become good at some point, right?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Well at least Jonathan Frakes is having fun.

That capital ship at the end I swear I've seen before but can't place.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:04 pmnuTrek has to become good at some point, right?
Since all the terrible nuTrek seems to have been financially successful, why would the creators feel the need to make good product when the terrible was enough?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I’m thinking mu and/or dominion here.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I would like to make a note regarding the state of modern Trek.

Discovery and Picard were initially all about trying to make ''not your dad's Star Trek.'' It was darker, meaner, ruder, the make-up was different, the sets were different, the continuity was ignored. And if you didn't like it, tough luck, get lost. And beleive me, they often said as much on Twitter.

Fast forward a few years and now we have the original TNG crew back in PIC (despite originally promising that this would NOT happen). We have the Discovery season 3 reboot which did what we always wanted from new Trek and actually progressed the story into the future. We have Strange New Worlds that is basically TOS 2.0. We have cartoon Trek that is all about fanservice and bright fun. There are even still mutterings of a fourth Star Trek reboot film (which is still more Star Trek than PIC season 1 ever was).

It seems to me that despite many protests to the contary from fans of STD season 1-2 and PIC... it went down with the fandom at large like stepping on a LEGO brick. Trek since then has all been about dialling back the clock in some way. And you do not dial back something that was a success.

Or in other words, I have been proven correct. Just as I was with Dr Who and the Great Gender Swap Experiment by the fact that the next two Doctors are confirmed male. I may even start watching Trek and Dr Who again and that is high praise indeed.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:32 am I would like to make a note regarding the state of modern Trek.

Discovery and Picard were initially all about trying to make ''not your dad's Star Trek.'' It was darker, meaner, ruder, the make-up was different, the sets were different, the continuity was ignored. And if you didn't like it, tough luck, get lost. And beleive me, they often said as much on Twitter.

Fast forward a few years and now we have the original TNG crew back in PIC (despite originally promising that this would NOT happen). We have the Discovery season 3 reboot which did what we always wanted from new Trek and actually progressed the story into the future. We have Strange New Worlds that is basically TOS 2.0. We have cartoon Trek that is all about fanservice and bright fun. There are even still mutterings of a fourth Star Trek reboot film (which is still more Star Trek than PIC season 1 ever was).

It seems to me that despite many protests to the contary from fans of STD season 1-2 and PIC... it went down with the fandom at large like stepping on a LEGO brick. Trek since then has all been about dialling back the clock in some way. And you do not dial back something that was a success.

Or in other words, I have been proven correct. Just as I was with Dr Who and the Great Gender Swap Experiment by the fact that the next two Doctors are confirmed male. I may even start watching Trek and Dr Who again and that is high praise indeed.
You’re characterizing Star Trek in its current state as an edge lord Snyderverse, but Picard is mainly a response to Trumpism, as you’ve seemed to catch at some point in the past. I thought it reminded me more of lost in space really.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Also, Star Trek has always had a history of blunders in their first attempts to start a franchise. It was canceled after the second season in the 60s, the first movie is horribly Panned on universal level, while the first two seasons of the next generation don’t hold out too well either. Then we have Deep space nine, which the fans in particular held as a critical departure from what is Star Trek. At which point now the next generation of Star Trek fans are reclaiming.
..What mirror universe?
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Yep, there's also that Voyager's season 1-2 is mostly bad, and Enterprise season 1-2 is even worse. It's why people, including me were so amazed by Lower Decks managing such an amazing quality transition over the space of their first season. Strange New Worlds while never hitting the heights of No Small Parts was really pretty dang impressive in how consistent it was for the first series. Couple of generally below average eps at most.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm
You’re characterizing Star Trek in its current state as an edge lord Snyderverse, but Picard is mainly a response to Trumpism, as you’ve seemed to catch at some point in the past. I thought it reminded me more of lost in space really.
By showing hints of the response that lurches to the opposite extreme and is equally dogmatic and brainless and prejudiced. Sometimes that happens to coincidentally lie closer to decency, but the same people would've been happily burning them evil witches a few centuries ago.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm You’re characterizing Star Trek in its current state as an edge lord Snyderverse, but Picard is mainly a response to Trumpism
It's both badly written in itself, and a rejection of the utopian ideals that have always been the heart of Star Trek.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984