Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by sayla0079 »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:14 am
Mabus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pm
-Riker is now separated from Deanna? Why?
Because in modern media families must ALWAYS be broken, spouses must ALWAYS be separated, and all joyful or happy social structures must ALWAYS be disillusioned.

I get the desire to do this sometimes. 50+ years ago you almost never saw anyone divorce and the standard "American dream" was always the norm. Moving through the 70s and 80s and the years that followed media featured some characters, families, etc. where things weren't perfect or where people got divorces or where things didn't always work out as hoped.

Yet in the last decade or so it's swung fully the other way where more or less every character, family, etc. has to have this happen. Han and Leia not working out is one example of many. Maybe it's just a part of the overall fact that "Hollywood" doesn't seem to know how to be creative these days - they just copy one another and tell the same story over and over - or maybe it's something deeper. I don't know. Regardless, it would almost be shocking these days to see a project like this and have it so that the marriage/life/whatever HAS worked out.

This is why I hate plotlines like what they did with How to Train Your Dragon 3 or Toy Story 4 or Wreck-It Ralph 2 where in the end everyone has to say goodbye people have to close the door on the way things have been for everyone forever. It's not that these kinds of stories can't be good or meaningful or that there isn't truth to the notion that things end and change - heck, that was a major, major aspect of how they wrapped up Deep Space Nine and it worked really well. The problem is just that it feels like the default, the inevitable ONLY way to tell a story these days. Whatever poignancy or meaning that is supposed to be in these stories is always lost to me by the fact that the story is taking that turn just because that's the current thing-to-do.

Are we sure they are separated and not say for example Deanna is maybe just off visiting her little brother (yes she has a younger brother see the DS9 ep the Muse for context)
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

...I've just come to realization. Shaw is what happened when SFDebris' "I just wanted to study comets!" officer from First Contact got older. Him wanting to stick to Starfleet way of doing things, the more justified borg-phobia, it all makes far more sense now, and in the process I find him a hell of a lot more entertaining.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

m4a2000 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 pm Why? Why? Why is Jack his son? WHY?
Well, according to this Variety article, Jack Crusher here is between 23 and 24 years old.

That would put his birth year between 2377-2378, his conception being no earlier than 2376. Insurrection happened in 2375, Nemesis 2379.

So, with that shore leave that Picard has saved up, perhaps Riker and Troi weren't the only ones to get further frisky shortly after the events of Insurrection.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 am ...Jack Crusher here is between 23 and 24 years old.
That would put his birth year between 2377-2378, his conception being no earlier than 2376. Insurrection happened in 2375, Nemesis 2379.
So, with that shore leave that Picard has saved up, perhaps Riker and Troi weren't the only ones to get further frisky shortly after the events of Insurrection.
That's not what I meant. The whole 'unknown family member' trope feels tired, at least to me. We've seen it in Trek with Spock(Micheal & Sybok), Worf(Kurn), technically Riker(Thomas) and Kira(Entek), and there was the other time Picard had a 'son'(Jason Vigo). These are the ones off top my head.

There is so much in the season that I do like, but this reveal just doesn't sit well with me.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

m4a2000 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:28 am
CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 am ...Jack Crusher here is between 23 and 24 years old.
That's not what I meant. The whole 'unknown family member' trope feels tired, at least to me. We've seen it in Trek with Spock(Micheal & Sybok), Worf(Kurn), technically Riker(Thomas) and Kira(Entek), and there was the other time Picard had a 'son'(Jason Vigo). These are the ones off top my head.

There is so much in the season that I do like, but this reveal just doesn't sit well with me.
Fair point on the over use. But since so much of this season thus far, just from the two episodes we have, is connected with it, this could also be a connection with Star Trek II in a way:
-Starting the first episode with "In the 25th Century" like Khan's "In the 23rd Century".
-Similar font usage (mixed with TNG font)
-This son of the former Captain now Admiral
-The shuttle they took being named the Saavik (and in the Instagram log posts apparently Saavik was captain of a Titan before Riker's Titan).
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 am
Well, according to this Variety article, Jack Crusher here is between 23 and 24 years old.

Wouldn't Picard be with Anij during that time?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:03 am
CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 am

Wouldn't Picard be with Anij during that time?
I mean, who would you pick, Anij or Beverly?

And there is a chance that he realized Anij wasn't working out for him, and before they left the system he and Beverly had a wild night or two.
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:09 amI mean, who would you pick, Anij or Beverly?
CMWaters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:09 amAnd there is a chance that he realized Anij wasn't working out for him, and before they left the system he and Beverly had a wild night or two.
I mean we can pretend that the story makes sense and fan-theorize everything away or we can look at the evidence and shrug our shoulders about the writers not giving a damn about continuity.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Prediction based purely on the show's love of twists for twist sake: Picard is his bio dad but Beverly isn't his bio mom.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Ep. 2 is much better than Ep. 1, but there are still some issues that I find amusing they're still repeating. Vadic's claw ship loaded to the brim with weapons and one super secret weapon, as well as a ship colliding with the main heroes ship, all happening in a colorful nebula outside Federation space that jams all transmissions is pretty much the space battle from ST: Nemesis. I guess they're bringing back Lore to sacrifice himself by blowing up Vadic's ship? I'm surprised they didn't give her ship (perfect) cloaking ability. Why do NuTrek writers love to reference that film, it's one the worst of the Trek films? It's so odd.
Also, Jack is Picard's son, and Worf is Raffi's handler. But, why? Also, why did Worf kill the Ferengi mobster, didn't they need him to find out whoever was behind the theft of the portal gun?
Speaking of, how convenient that Raffi just so happened to met her husband on that disco Blade-Runner-esque planet, just like how her son was on another disco Blade-Runner-esque planet. And she tried again to meet her son? Or her... granddaughter?
I get that you shouldn't rush explaining everything, but considering that one issue the previous seasons had was the fact that they didn't bother to do much in the first half, and then just dump everything and the kitchen sink in the last few episodes, they better step up the pacing in the next episodes before the finale, otherwise it will just be the same thing again.