Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm Man, do I find 'memberberries' one of the more obnoxious forms of internet lingo. Mainly as it leads people to dismiss and crap on genuine love letters. Yes obviously refferences for the sake of refferences can often be used badly as cheap nostalgia bait, but that excellent reprise of Moriarity where the actor nailed it again all these decades later, the beautiful working in of the various themes into the music, and most of all that Seven of Nine speach about what Voyager meant to her is so very much not that in the slightest.
The episode itself seemed like a bit of an excursion, though I ultimately agree.
..What mirror universe?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

A thought just came to me watching some old clips:

The being that Vadic has been reporting to...what if it's a member of Species 8472?

They live in fluidic space, and they are known to know about genetic manipulation. So messing with beings like the Changelings might not be a problem for them. Plus from what I've heard, they have been a threat in "Star Trek Online" before...
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CMWaters wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:30 pm A thought just came to me watching some old clips:

The being that Vadic has been reporting to...what if it's a member of Species 8472?

They live in fluidic space, and they are known to know about genetic manipulation. So messing with beings like the Changelings might not be a problem for them. Plus from what I've heard, they have been a threat in "Star Trek Online" before...
I dunno, I feel like we're already with the villains. The Changelings are the secret baddies. We don't need to go Online where "The Klingons are controlled by Species 8472 who are controlled by the Iconians."
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 pm
CMWaters wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:30 pm A thought just came to me watching some old clips:

I dunno, I feel like we're already with the villains. The Changelings are the secret baddies. We don't need to go Online where "The Klingons are controlled by Species 8472 who are controlled by the Iconians."
Possibly, but the preview for the next episode implies whoever Vadic is working for is NOT a Changeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED2KcLcOg3M
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

So Jack can control other people telepathically, or at least communicate with them. Insert your own joke about his dad being Professor X here.

With three episodes left I'm getting sick of the teasing of 'what is Jack'. This frankly has been the worse part of the whole season for me.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Mystery-box writing...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

When thing that deeply amused me was the implications of "We can't keep doing this!" Just how many, and who exactly did they check in on before giving up after Tuvok?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

They still haven't explained why most of the Changeling crew never leave Discount Turian form.

Or why Seven and Raffi broke up come to think of it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:46 pm
I still maintain though that its suicidally dumb that Battlestar Galactica flightsuits are not standard equipment whenever you take out a shuttle. And, on that note, flightsuits with emergency transporters and force fields built in to render things like time and distance irrelevant. Star Trek is an amazing place where physics and reality can be bent like a Uri Gellar brand spoon but its officers are still going around without safety features that logically should exist.
Take away that those sort of suits itself are expensive, bulky and really hard to light up to make it easy for thd viewer to identify without makign extreme close ups, it doesn't exactly fit Star Trek's depiction of space travel as being safe. Like driving your car across town for that specialty donut.

Take away the character shields, in Trek ships and shuttles tend to explode if hit with weapons fire. They have shields and forcefields if they get hit with micro debris. It's not like these things go into combat against an enemy that has penetrating weapons like bullets.

I get it, it does make alot of sense for crew to wear those suits even with the helmet off when they are piloting shuttlecraft. They can then take it off when they land during diplomatic situations. Or they can make an away team suit specifically designed for that.

It's similar to why Starfleet doesn't give their security officers armor or something. Or personal shields.
I got nothing to say here.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 am It's similar to why Starfleet doesn't give their security officers armor or something. Or personal shields.
Well, at least the 24th/25th century ones. Late 23rd century though...

Guessing it fell out of favor sometime slightly before TNG's start, when the worst Starfleet was dealing with were some Cardassian border skirmishes and whatever the Ferengi were faking as a power in the galaxy (like how Picard joked to Groppler Zorn about the Ferengi finding him tasty as their last clients).

Could have potentially helped to get some of that stuff during the Dominion War (or hell, protect the right areas and even against Borg attacks) though. But TV budgets and all that.
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special