Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:17 pm I feel like 99% of all discourse regarding "Woke" "Cancel Culture" and "Liberal Values" boils down to the fact that they're literally something that means something completely different to the Right and Left. So when they're discussing it, they are not actually remotely sharing any real dialogue.

Which means internet activism is mostly pointless.

Guy 1#: I'm against pedophilia!

Guy 2#: Yeah, so am I.

Guy 1#: You can't be because you're woke!

Guy 2#: What?

And being a full anarchist that I am, I'm quite happy pointing out this is hardly one side or the other. I blame entirely the politicians and media for creating this Orwellian nightmare we call civil discourse.
Actually I feel 99% of the whole anti-woke part of internet discourse is that the commentator has no idea what they are talking about when they say 'this is so woke'. They see someone who is not a straight male, not even a lead either and that makes it 'woke'. Like that brief scene in Doctor Strange 2 where that girl with teleporting powers has two mothers (I think they have kissed too) made the whole movie woke. I mean these people never saw the movie but heard about that so it's woke.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:47 am Actually I feel 99% of the whole anti-woke part of internet discourse is that the commentator has no idea what they are talking about when they say 'this is so woke'. They see someone who is not a straight male, not even a lead either and that makes it 'woke'. Like that brief scene in Doctor Strange 2 where that girl with teleporting powers has two mothers (I think they have kissed too) made the whole movie woke. I mean these people never saw the movie but heard about that so it's woke.
Yes, there's also the, "Being a white straight male dude is a crime now and if we don't stop it there will be no more white male media."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:54 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:47 am Actually I feel 99% of the whole anti-woke part of internet discourse is that the commentator has no idea what they are talking about when they say 'this is so woke'. They see someone who is not a straight male, not even a lead either and that makes it 'woke'. Like that brief scene in Doctor Strange 2 where that girl with teleporting powers has two mothers (I think they have kissed too) made the whole movie woke. I mean these people never saw the movie but heard about that so it's woke.
Yes, there's also the, "Being a white straight male dude is a crime now and if we don't stop it there will be no more white male media."
I have only seen that once and that was in a Fox News comment section. Though I have seen varients of the whole anti-white rhetoric. Like for example, 'Can't have a straight white male without having a black wife'.
I got nothing to say here.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I think a perfect example of how accusations of "woke" have lost all meaning is people screaming about how woke the new Mario movie is because Peach isn't just a doe-eyed damsel in distress (despite her being depicted as wily, sassy, and able to hold her own to some degree in just about everything outside the mainline games since the Japanese-produced special all the way back in 1986). Then Midnight's Edge praised it for being anti-woke because it didn't race or gender swap any of the characters. It makes me want to see them introduce Daisy in the next movie and give her darker skin like her initial 3D design from the N64 if for nothing else than to see those idiots and the bitter old couple at Clownfish lose it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Actually rumor has it, that many of the parts that fall to Peach in the movie, were initially intended to be scenes for Luigi, with Luigi ending up being off-screened into imprisonment, which is conspiciously the role Peach most usually plays. So there's grounds to suspect a gender-swap and, in a way, a race-swap. ;P
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:15 am
I have only seen that once and that was in a Fox News comment section. Though I have seen varients of the whole anti-white rhetoric. Like for example, 'Can't have a straight white male without having a black wife'.
I work with a few Republican guys. Straight white men being the most oppressed group is apparently part of their religion the way they keep repeating it and get mad if anyone asks questions. I've never gotten anyone to give me an actual example, they just think it's self-evident.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:50 am Actually rumor has it, that many of the parts that fall to Peach in the movie, were initially intended to be scenes for Luigi, with Luigi ending up being off-screened into imprisonment, which is conspiciously the role Peach most usually plays. So there's grounds to suspect a gender-swap and, in a way, a race-swap. ;P
The change was to the movie's benefit. Mario needed a guide (and saving his little brother is a more compelling motivator for his actions than saving a strange princess cuz reasons). Bowser's simping is also more entertaining with him not have Peach in his clutches the whole time.

Really, the only place it hurt was the conclusion playing out the way it did needed more build up, but even that is a minor gripe at best.

As for the persecution complex among conservatives, it's been ingrained in them for decades since Nixon deployed the Southern Strategy to get racist Democrats butthurt over the Civil rights Acts to be racist Republicans. They're convinced everything is a zero-sum game so the advancements for people of color, women, LGBT+, immigrants, etc. comes at their detriment.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:00 pmAs for the persecution complex among conservatives, it's been ingrained in them for decades since Nixon deployed the Southern Strategy to get racist Democrats butthurt over the Civil rights Acts to be racist Republicans. They're convinced everything is a zero-sum game so the advancements for people of color, women, LGBT+, immigrants, etc. comes at their detriment.
I think the Tim Allen vs MSM argument comes down to principle equilibrium vs colloquial traditionalism. Often times the conservative values pitched in media have to do with not getting bogged down by the frivolous details and listening to your heart to find resolution to the matter. Progressive leanings will play the long game and shed light on repercussions from oversight in principled customs, giving much more interesting dilemmas both on the protagonist and antagonist side. Eventually the progressive Catholicism consumes the aging heart of the conservative and it takes captain kirk or Spiderman to battle it.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

There is reason why you've only seen that argument once: its not an argument that the majority of the Right is making. It is a strawman caricature invented by the Left. Just like most ''Woke'' arguments put forward by the Right are.

Both sides are exactly the same when it comes to intentionally misrepresenting what the other is saying.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:19 am
I work with a few Republican guys. Straight white men being the most oppressed group is apparently part of their religion the way they keep repeating it and get mad if anyone asks questions. I've never gotten anyone to give me an actual example, they just think it's self-evident.
''Most oppressed group'' hell no. Even I wouldn't sit here and say that. But I can give you the single example you asked for. How about, 70% of suicides are white men? You wouldn't think that would be the case if our lives are so awesome, huh?

https://www.ssmhealth.com/blogs/ssm-hea ... by-suicide

I would say the stumbling block in this conversation is that people conflate the men who are doing really well, the Elon Musk's, the Jeff Bezo's, the Donald Trump's; with actual men living actual lives. Just because men still make up the majority of wealth and power in the world doesn't mean we as a whole are living the life of Riley. That is true of most of history, actually.