A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stryke
Captain

A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

Post by stryke »

https://youtu.be/uA3ywLt96sw
https://youtu.be/XxN1klwZXSM

It's so bad. It's so bad. So it's bad. Bad it's so.

Doesn't even manage to be so bad it's fun. It's just painful from beginning to end. Oof.

Genuinely mind bogglng Gibson had anything to do with it, and I can only imagine he said something like hot lady kills dudes, something virtual reality, and left it at that before collecting the cheque so they could use his name. Which to be fair does kinda at least describe some of his actual stories if you boil it down to the very, very basics. If I remember right he did contribute another X-Files episode which also featured virtual reality which worked a hell of a lot better.

Also does have anyone have a link to the kotaku article mentioned at the end of part 1? That sounds potentially amusing.
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Re: A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

Post by Coyote's Own »

Thankful the other Gibson episode (Kill switch) is better.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Seems that video games + filmmaking + feminism is always a 100% guarantee recipe for disaster.
It's like a forbidden spell, that no one should use, but there's always someone dumb enough to do it.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

This seems like an ep where they came up with some scenes they wanted to shoot, like Scully going Rambo or gratuitous body panning shots of the sexy lady, and worked backwards from there.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

This episode was stupid.

But entertainingly stupid.
HighPriest
Redshirt

Post by HighPriest »

Yeah, this is pretty bad. I'm trying to think of a worse, less respectful portrayal of video games in a TV/movie format, and the only thing I can come up with is Pixels.

I see how this could be "so bad it's good" for some people, but for me it just shoots through that narrow zone and keeps going right on into "so bad it's just bad again" territory.
HighPriest
Redshirt

Post by HighPriest »

stryke wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:57 am Also does have anyone have a link to the kotaku article mentioned at the end of part 1? That sounds potentially amusing.
Probably this one?

https://kotaku.com/marvel-snap-match-wi ... 1849773498
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Its bad. But as someone who was alive during this era i'm going to make the argument that it was a VERY DIFFERENT time. Games and computers are not only cool today - they're simple. Your granny can operate one. But back then, computers were brand new and mysterious things for a lot of people. It was the preserve of the geek. It was preserve of people who... talked about sci-fi on internet forums, lets be honest.

You often found that computers were magical objects that could do whatever the user willed it to. It was the era where you could take over the world on 12 MB. It was the era where a computer console was a ''Nintendo'' regardless of what it was.

Look at some other ''offerings'' from around this time. Sandra Bullock's ''The Net''. Pierce Brosnan's ''Lawnmower Man''. Keanu Reeves's ''Johnny Mnemonic''. Even TNG's ''The Game'' has all these hallmarks.

Speaking of Mr Reeves, I am going to argue here that ''The Matrix'' was the first film based around computers to truly captivate the public and treat ''geeks'' as actual adults - probably because this was when those same geeks were entering the workforce and were telling the Boomers what they were doing made no sense.

All that aside, this is also the era of Baywatch and Seven of Nine so of course... hot gaming woman for the boys. That's a given.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Given this is a forum, not exactly the most youth attracting way of talking online, and even more so given who this forum is all for, and even more specifically what this thread this is covering... well, I'd be flabbergasted if anyone here reading this wasn't alive during the era in question, and is likely also more than old enough to remember what it was like :D

All of those are various levels of bad, but I still think this is significantly worse. Pretty sure it's later than all those too including the Matrix. Yep, on checkin came out in 2000 and still manages to be a worse take than the Game from back in '91.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:10 pm Given this is a forum, not exactly the most youth attracting way of talking online, and even more so given who this forum is all for, and even more specifically what this thread this is covering... well, I'd be flabbergasted if anyone here reading this wasn't alive during the era in question, and is likely also more than old enough to remember what it was like :D

All of those are various levels of bad, but I still think this is significantly worse. Pretty sure it's later than all those too including the Matrix. Yep, on checkin came out in 2000 and still manages to be a worse take than the Game from back in '91.
:shock:

I am genuinely amazed to learn this episode's airdate. In my head this episode was years' before 2000. But in my defence... I mean... look at it. How did this crap come out in the same month as the PlayStation 2?

This is me officially rescinding any compliments or good will I possessed in my previous post.