Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Heroarchy is Fascism

Post by hammerofglass »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:43 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:35 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:14 pm Condemning the French Revolution is a fundamentally reactionary ideology, popularized by people who to discredit all Leftism because of the violence mostly committed by the Centrists.
Centrists? You're certainly making a joke there, right?
I'm not, The Directory actually killed more people then the prior more Radical phases of The Terror.

And even those Radicals were not Radicals by a modern standard, they were the Atheist Free Market Liberals and then Robespierre who changed his mind what he believed every few weeks. The people who'd be Leftists by a modern Standard were mostly among the Girondins.
Which as a tangental point of interest for those of us who got the US-focused version of history in school is why Robespierre ended up having that radical progressive and Girondin ally Thomas Paine imprisoned.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:38 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:43 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:35 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:14 pm Condemning the French Revolution is a fundamentally reactionary ideology, popularized by people who to discredit all Leftism because of the violence mostly committed by the Centrists.
Centrists? You're certainly making a joke there, right?
I'm not, The Directory actually killed more people then the prior more Radical phases of The Terror.

And even those Radicals were not Radicals by a modern standard, they were the Atheist Free Market Liberals and then Robespierre who changed his mind what he believed every few weeks. The people who'd be Leftists by a modern Standard were mostly among the Girondins.
Which as a tangental point of interest for those of us who got the US-focused version of history in school is why Robespierre ended up having that radical progressive and Girondin ally Thomas Paine imprisoned.
From what I understand of Thomas Paine he would have fit in very well with the 21st century. Unfortunately he lived at a time where that made him powerful enemies. That was always my understanding of why he was imprisoned and nearly executed anyway.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

And to the very minor minor bit of credit, Robspierre was correct that the Revolution's reforms were incredibly fragile.

The reason for the execution of the King was because he flat out LIED to everyone that he was going to go along with the Moderate's reform and was going to lead a Hapsburg army to retake his own country. There were many secret cabals and conspiracies among the surrounding nations to destroy France's new country.

It's just he turned against his own people out of fear they would ally with them.

Which, to be an utter twit, is why he should have been an assassin in AC V.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Executing the King made him a Martyr and only garunteed the Bourbon restoration. The later Revolutions didn't execute any Royals and those dynasties weren't restored.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:31 pm And to the very minor minor bit of credit, Robspierre was correct that the Revolution's reforms were incredibly fragile.

The reason for the execution of the King was because he flat out LIED to everyone that he was going to go along with the Moderate's reform and was going to lead a Hapsburg army to retake his own country. There were many secret cabals and conspiracies among the surrounding nations to destroy France's new country.

It's just he turned against his own people out of fear they would ally with them.

Which, to be an utter twit, is why he should have been an assassin in AC V.
It’s NEVER okay to assassinate someone.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm
To save the life of another.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I'm favor of violent revolution, but never in favor of state sanctioned executions even by a state ran by revolutionaries.
Call me KuudereKun
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:26 pm I'm favor of violent revolution, but never in favor of state sanctioned executions even by a state ran by revolutionaries.
I feel aside from an ardent opposition to the death penalty, I'm not sure what argument there is against Louis' execution. Man planned to murder tens of thousands of his own countrymen out of a desire to preserve royal privilege.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:20 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:26 pm I'm favor of violent revolution, but never in favor of state sanctioned executions even by a state ran by revolutionaries.
I feel aside from an ardent opposition to the death penalty, I'm not sure what argument there is against Louis' execution. Man planned to murder tens of thousands of his own countrymen out of a desire to preserve royal privilege.
The argument agaisnt it is that it made him a Martyr.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:36 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm
To save the life of another.
Just because the state can do it doesn’t mean you should too.
..What mirror universe?